    With the introduction of the A64 3400+, the 3200+ has dropped to $270
    (from about $400). The $270 price is from Newegg. It's now lower in price
    than the XP 3200+ ($299) which is considerably slower.

    Wes Newell, Jan 6, 2004

  2. "Wes Newell" <> wrote in message
    news:p...
    | With the introduction of the A64 3400+, the 3200+ has dropped to $270
    | (from about $400). The $270 price is from Newegg. It's now lower in price
    | than the XP 3200+ ($299) which is considerably slower.

    Thanks a ton for the info. The reduction in CPU price is exactly what I have
    been waiting on before jumping ship from my tired but still great little
    xp2000+. Didn't want to waste the time/money on doing a Barton or other
    Socket A upgrade right now knowing it would be the end of the line for that
    socket.

    Jason Cothran, Jan 7, 2004

  3. Wes Newell

    Lee Guest

    rather have the FX51 mate :D

    On Tue, 06 Jan 2004 22:36:28 GMT, Wes Newell <>
    wrote:

    >:>With the introduction of the A64 3400+, the 3200+ has dropped to $270
    >:>(from about $400). The $270 price is from Newegg. It's now lower in price
    >:>than the XP 3200+ ($299) which is considerably slower.

    -----
    Lee.

    Lee, Jan 7, 2004
  4. Wes Newell

    Repo Man Guest

    Jason Cothran wrote:
    > "Wes Newell" <> wrote in message
    >> With the introduction of the A64 3400+, the 3200+ has dropped to $270
    >> (from about $400). The $270 price is from Newegg. It's now lower in
    >> price than the XP 3200+ ($299) which is considerably slower.
    >>

    > Thanks a ton for the info. The reduction in CPU price is exactly what
    > I have been waiting on before jumping ship from my tired but still
    > great little xp2000+. Didn't want to waste the time/money on doing a
    > Barton or other Socket A upgrade right now knowing it would be the
    > end of the line for that socket.

    Socket 754 (and 940 for that matter) doesn't have much of a future either...
    I'd wait a couple months or so and get a socket 939, when they come out.

    Repo Man, Jan 7, 2004
  5. Wes Newell

    Wes Newell Guest

    On Thu, 08 Jan 2004 09:27:55 +1300, Repo Man wrote:

    > Socket 754 (and 940 for that matter) doesn't have much of a future either...
    > I'd wait a couple months or so and get a socket 939, when they come out.

    Amd has committed to a year of cpu support for these sockets. Although I
    don't see this as much of a problem. If I upgrade down the road I'd likely
    sell the old MB/cpu combo and get new MB/cpu combo.

    Wes Newell, Jan 8, 2004
  6. Wes Newell

    VC Guest

    but when you by the 754 or 940 today ... you will enjoy a couple yrs at
    least of solid CPU performance ... at the point you can look at what is the
    current technology and buy accordingly ... additionally, when the 939 comes
    out it will be double the 754 or 940 ... with computers changing so quickly
    ..... likely a wiser decision to one generation back any way .... and update
    in one to two yrs

    VC

    VC, Jan 8, 2004
  7. Wes Newell

    rms Guest

    > rather have the FX51 mate :D

    Anandtech has pronounced the FX51 dead in the water with the half-priced
    3400+ available, at least for the gamer.

    rms

    rms, Jan 8, 2004
  8. Wes Newell

    Sick Willie Guest

    "Lee" <> wrote in message
    > rather have the FX51 mate :D

    If we're doing rathers, I would rather have dual Opteron 246's. But the
    3000 or 3200 are still nice processors.

    Sick Willie

    Sick Willie, Jan 8, 2004
  9. Wes Newell

    Sick Willie Guest

    "rms" <> wrote in message
    > > rather have the FX51 mate :D

    > Anandtech has pronounced the FX51 dead in the water with the

    half-priced
    > 3400+ available, at least for the gamer.
    >
    > rms

    For the hardcore gamer, the dual channel memory controller on the FX51 would
    still leave it well ahead of the 3400. If you don't need (or care to pay
    for) dual channel, the 3000 or 3200 is still the best bang for the buck.

    Sick Willie

    Sick Willie, Jan 8, 2004
  10. Wes Newell

    Wes Newell Guest

    On Thu, 08 Jan 2004 07:41:02 -0600, Sick Willie wrote:

    > "rms" <> wrote in message
    >> > rather have the FX51 mate :D

    >> Anandtech has pronounced the FX51 dead in the water with the

    > half-priced
    >> 3400+ available, at least for the gamer.
    >>
    >> rms

    > For the hardcore gamer, the dual channel memory controller on the FX51 would
    > still leave it well ahead of the 3400. If you don't need (or care to pay
    > for) dual channel, the 3000 or 3200 is still the best bang for the buck.

    Perhaps you should look at this.:)

    http://www.anandtech.com/cpu/showdoc.html?i=1941&p=4

    Wes Newell, Jan 8, 2004
  11. Wes Newell

    Sick Willie Guest

    "Wes Newell" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 08 Jan 2004 07:41:02 -0600, Sick Willie wrote:
    >

    > > "rms" <> wrote in message
    > >>
    > >> Anandtech has pronounced the FX51 dead in the water with the

    > > half-priced
    > >> 3400+ available, at least for the gamer.
    > >>
    > >> rms

    > > For the hardcore gamer, the dual channel memory controller on the FX51

    would
    > > still leave it well ahead of the 3400. If you don't need (or care to

    pay
    > > for) dual channel, the 3000 or 3200 is still the best bang for the buck.
    > >

    > Perhaps you should look at this.:)
    >
    > http://www.anandtech.com/cpu/showdoc.html?i=1941&p=4

    If I put much credence in what Anandtech had to say, all that article would
    do for me is re-inforce my opinion that *for the money* the 3000+ that I
    bought is the best bang for the buck. As for what Anandtech says about the
    FX51, if adding 200 MHz to the 754 pin A64 was all it took to catch up, the
    previous reviews weren't worth squat. It's a shame that someone won't send
    me an FX51 so that I could test it for myself. :)

    Anandtech keeps insisting that the 3000+ is the Newcastle core, while the
    rest of the world, AMD included I believe, has stated that this is not the
    case at all.

    Sick Willie

    Sick Willie, Jan 9, 2004