    my aunt jill is wanting me to overclock her new hp pavillion. its got
    an amd athlon 64 in it. is there any way to overclock it without
    taking it apart?
    GIRunit, Oct 24, 2006

  2. GIRunit

    Dylan C Guest

    GIRunit wrote:
    > my aunt jill is wanting me to overclock her new hp pavillion. its got
    > an amd athlon 64 in it. is there any way to overclock it without
    > taking it apart?

    THe factory BIOS will probably not allow it to be overclocked. That
    means you'll have to flash it to a hacked version (if you can find one)
    and void your warranty. Also, in my experience, off-the-shelf models
    like HP and Gateway, etc. are usually crippled by crappy memory and slow
    hard drives, not the CPU. Of course, this may have changed. THe HPs I
    deal with are all several years old.

    -Dylan C
    Dylan C, Oct 24, 2006

  3. GIRunit

    Paul Guest

    GIRunit wrote:

    > my aunt jill is wanting me to overclock her new hp pavillion. its got
    > an amd athlon 64 in it. is there any way to overclock it without
    > taking it apart?

    If the motherboard uses an Nvidia chipset, then there is a chance
    you can overclock it with the Clockgen program from www.cpuid.com .
    That is called "Windows overclocking", because you do it while
    you are in Windows, rather than in the BIOS. It is an option
    for people who have a crappy (fixed) BIOS.

    The Nvidia chipsets (Nforce3, Nforce4), I believe, do clock
    synthesis in the chipset. That is why it is possible for the
    author of Clockgen to write a generic module for all Nforce3
    or Nforce4 motherboards. For other chipset makers, like maybe
    VIA or SIS, the clock signals come from a clock generator chip,
    and that must be custom programmed. There are a thousand different
    part numbers of clock generator chips used on motherboards, and
    the odds that the Clockgen program knows about them, is very small.
    Thus, if a non-Nforce chipset is used, then Jill is stuck.

    A second program of some use, is A64tweaker. A64tweaker allows
    changing memory settings, so you can downclock the memory to
    compensate for the upclock from Clockgen.

    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=37345&page=1
    http://www.cranox.com/Software/A64-Tweaker/A64Tweaker_V0.6beta.zip

    (Picture of the A64tweaker panel)
    http://www.overclocking.es/modules/wfdownloads/images/screenshots/a64tweaker.jpg

    Now, I don't know if there is a way to change the Hypertransport
    multiplier on the fly or not. Normally, HT would be 5 x 200.
    The 200 is the CPU clock, which is the thing to be changed
    with the Clockgen program. HT is limited to 1000MHz, so if
    the clock is raised above 200, then the HT multiplier needs
    to be dropped. If there is no mechanism to drop it, then the
    overclock may be limited to 10% or 20% or so. I don't really
    know how far HT will go on a processor, before the wheels fall
    off. With some chipsets, like I think ATI, it is possible that
    the chipset end of the HT link, can clock quite high. But the
    processor end of the HT link may be the limiting end.

    The only other thing missing for Jill, is voltage bumping, for
    Vdimm or for Vcore. An HP may not have a setting like that in
    it, but check the BIOS anyway. While it is possible to change
    Vcore, with a gnarly hardware mod (soldering), we don't want to
    void the warranty :)

    If the only control you had was the main CPU clock (200MHz),
    and you didn't have access to anything else, you might squeeze
    10% to 20% out of it, before it crashed. You really need access
    to a few different things, to do a better job of overclocking.
    An enthusiast motherboard is what you want for a job like this.

    When doing overclocking experiments, you should use a different
    boot drive. Bring a spare drive. Disconnect Jill's boot drive.
    Install the spare. Install Windows on it, your copy of Clockgen,
    a copy of Prime95 from mersenne.org (for testing). Sometimes,
    when doing overclocking experiments, the boot disk or the
    registry stored on it, gets corrupted, and the OS can effectively
    be lost to the user. Using a spare boot disk, avoids this fate.
    Test with Prime95 (use the torture test option in the menu). Don't
    put the original boot drive back in the computer, until Prime95
    can run for four hours or more, error free. If you overclock
    to a frequency of "X", turn the clock down to 0.95*X before
    giving the computer back to Jill. The small margin, is intended
    to help the computer continue to run well on a hot day. I call
    that the "everyday overclock" frequency for my computer. The
    computer I am typing on, is overclocked from 2.8GHz to 3.2GHz
    (yawn!), but that is all I could manage with complete
    stability. The computer has not crashed once with that
    modest overclock.

    Paul
    Paul, Oct 24, 2006
  4. GIRunit

    Dylan C Guest

    Paul wrote:

    > GIRunit wrote:
    >
    >>my aunt jill is wanting me to overclock her new hp pavillion. its got
    >>an amd athlon 64 in it. is there any way to overclock it without
    >>taking it apart?

    > When doing overclocking experiments, you should use a different
    > boot drive. Bring a spare drive. Disconnect Jill's boot drive.
    > Install the spare. Install Windows on it, your copy of Clockgen,
    > a copy of Prime95 from mersenne.org (for testing). Sometimes,
    > when doing overclocking experiments, the boot disk or the
    > registry stored on it, gets corrupted, and the OS can effectively
    > be lost to the user. Using a spare boot disk, avoids this fate.

    Thats good advice. Corrupting your boot disk isn't exactly common, but
    it does happen. I know I've done once or twice. Those were bad days.

    > Test with Prime95 (use the torture test option in the menu). Don't
    > put the original boot drive back in the computer, until Prime95
    > can run for four hours or more, error free. If you overclock
    > to a frequency of "X", turn the clock down to 0.95*X before
    > giving the computer back to Jill. The small margin, is intended
    > to help the computer continue to run well on a hot day.

    Its also important to make sure that she cleans the dust out on a
    regular basis. Once you start increasing the voltage, you start working
    in the upper end of the CPU's temperature range. Dust in your cooler
    makes temps creep up even higher and could cause a thermal failure.

    -Dylan C
    Dylan C, Oct 24, 2006
  5. GIRunit

    GIRunit Guest

    thanks alot you guys :D ! shes gonna love this!
    GIRunit, Oct 25, 2006