Athlon x2 4800+ ?

Discussion in 'AMD Overclocking' started by Larry Hodges, Aug 3, 2006.

  1. Larry Hodges

    Larry Hodges Guest

    What I've got:

    Athlon x2 4800+ 939, Toledo:
    https://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=80728-R
    My mobo is an Abit KN8:
    http://abit-usa.com/products/mb/products.php?categories=1&model=284
    Ram is Patriot DDR400 stepping at 2-3-2-5. 2gigs

    Ok. My BIOS allows me to change the CPU FSB clock, which is 200 by default.
    I've been told not to set this above about 205 or I can fry the CPU. Is
    that true? Got a recommended setting? CPU has stock cooling.

    The multiplyer is changable, but is already maxed out at 12x.

    I can adjust CPU core voltage. Also RAM voltage and Ref voltage. There is
    also nForce4 voltage and HyperTransport voltage.

    Any recommendations?

    -Larry
    Larry Hodges, Aug 3, 2006

  2. Larry Hodges

    job Guest

    No.You won't fry the chip.You may have to reset the CMOS jumper if you go
    too high,but that's trivial.If you do want to overclock,keep an eye on CPU
    temps.
    A64 overclocking is a bit tricky.It can involve CPU and dram voltages and
    the hypertransport bus to get it just right.Th 4800+ is pretty much the
    highest in mhz AMD chips go,so there's probably not much headroom to
    overclock.
    BTW,the multiplier is locked upwards,not downwards. So,if you have some ram
    that can run at 250+ FSB then you can lower the multiplier.It's one
    option.Most just raise the fsb.

    job, Aug 3, 2006

  3. Larry Hodges

    Guest

    Larry Hodges wrote:
    > What I've got:
    >
    > Athlon x2 4800+ 939, Toledo:
    > https://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=80728-R
    > My mobo is an Abit KN8:
    > http://abit-usa.com/products/mb/products.php?categories=1&model=284
    > Ram is Patriot DDR400 stepping at 2-3-2-5. 2gigs

    AMD X64 CPU overclocking can get quite complicated - I'd Google around
    for some good articles discussing the standard steps involved. I just
    did as I wrote this -
    http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20823
    You basically max out your components one at a time. There's a good
    webpage that gives you all the recommended ratios and multipliers once
    you know the max settings of your components.
    Even if you don't get much of a total boost in CPU Mhz, you can get
    some speed gains by dropping the multiplier and increasing the FSB.
    It took a while, but I have a 1.8Ghz AMD Opteron running at 2.7Ghz now.
    I had to set the multplier to 9, HTT to 600, and base RAM speed to
    133Mhz, then loosen the timings (I have the exact same memory as you)
    to 2.5-3-3-7, I think. I use A64 Tweaker to bump the RAM to 150Mhz
    once Windows boots.

    HTH,
    Kendt
    , Aug 3, 2006