    has an eMachine].

    Thanks!
    BobTheCat

    BobTheCat, Aug 8, 2005

  2. BobTheCat

    dawg Guest

    There were two types of 2800+ made by AMD. One ran at 266 FSB,the other ran
    at 333 FSB.The 266 cpu is and was very hard to get for some reason. Neither
    one ran at 2.8ghz. But they were different actual speeds. It's funny
    though,the A64 2800+ I have runs at 1.8Ghz and beats the XP 2800+ that runs
    at 2.08Ghz. This damn numbering system AMD came up with is insane,and
    Intel's system is just as confusing!!

    "BobTheCat" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I just ordered a replacement for my Dad's burned up 2800 AMD Athlon XP

    (fan
    > and heatsink fell off) with a new one.
    > He insistes that his previous CPU said "2.75 or 2.8Ghz" in the POST when

    he
    > booted his PC but the specs on the one I ordered says it's a 2.08Ghz CPU.
    > Are there different speeds of the same Athlon XP 2800 CPU?
    >
    > [I have NO experience with AMD.]
    >
    > Can this CPU be overclocked? How high is the "usual/average" SAFE freq?

    [He

    dawg, Aug 8, 2005

  3. BobTheCat

    Wes Newell Guest

    On Mon, 08 Aug 2005 20:25:28 +0000, BobTheCat wrote:

    > I just ordered a replacement for my Dad's burned up 2800 AMD Athlon XP (fan
    > and heatsink fell off) with a new one.
    > He insistes that his previous CPU said "2.75 or 2.8Ghz" in the POST when he
    > booted his PC but the specs on the one I ordered says it's a 2.08Ghz CPU.
    > Are there different speeds of the same Athlon XP 2800 CPU?

    Yes, there's the original Tbred B core that ran at 2250MHz (13.5x166) and
    the newer Barton core with twice the cache that runs at 2083MHz
    (12.5x166). There's also MP and XP-M models that run on a 133 MHz FSB.

    > Can this CPU be overclocked? How high is the "usual/average" SAFE freq?
    > [He has an eMachine].

    The new one you bought appears to be a Barton core and it's probably
    multiplier locked unless it's an XP-M. So all you can do is raise the
    FSB. How high depends on the board you have, but up to about 175MHz should
    be safe on any of them. You may need to raise vcore to get it stable.

    Wes Newell, Aug 8, 2005
  4. BobTheCat

    Ruel Smith Guest

    > I just ordered a replacement for my Dad's burned up 2800 AMD Athlon XP
    > (fan
    > and heatsink fell off) with a new one.
    > He insistes that his previous CPU said "2.75 or 2.8Ghz" in the POST when
    > he
    > booted his PC but the specs on the one I ordered says it's a 2.08Ghz CPU.
    > Are there different speeds of the same Athlon XP 2800 CPU?

    You're dad's on crack... There are two different speeds based on the core,
    which one runs at 266 MHz FSB and the other 333 MHz. However, neither runs
    at 2.8 GHz.

    > Can this CPU be overclocked? How high is the "usual/average" SAFE freq?
    > [He
    > has an eMachine].

    You'd need a non-OEM board to overclock via the BIOS. eMachines, Dell, HP,
    Gateway, and others don't provide BIOS overclocking features. You can
    hardware overclock by bridging pins on the CPU with special grease or paint,
    but you'll need to search the web for the settings and how to do it.

    Ruel Smith, Aug 9, 2005
  5. BobTheCat

    spodosaurus Guest

    I was about to post using that exact same phrase :)

    http://www.abmdr.org.au/
    http://www.marrow.org/

    spodosaurus, Aug 9, 2005
  6. BobTheCat

    rstlne Guest

    "Ruel Smith" <> wrote in message
    > > I just ordered a replacement for my Dad's burned up 2800 AMD Athlon XP
    > > (fan
    > > and heatsink fell off) with a new one.
    > > He insistes that his previous CPU said "2.75 or 2.8Ghz" in the POST

    when
    > > he
    > > booted his PC but the specs on the one I ordered says it's a 2.08Ghz

    CPU.
    > > Are there different speeds of the same Athlon XP 2800 CPU?

    > You're dad's on crack... There are two different speeds based on the core,
    > which one runs at 266 MHz FSB and the other 333 MHz. However, neither runs
    > at 2.8 GHz.
    >
    > > Can this CPU be overclocked? How high is the "usual/average" SAFE freq?
    > > [He
    > > has an eMachine].

    > You'd need a non-OEM board to overclock via the BIOS. eMachines, Dell, HP,
    > Gateway, and others don't provide BIOS overclocking features. You can
    > hardware overclock by bridging pins on the CPU with special grease or

    paint,
    > but you'll need to search the web for the settings and how to do it.

    You dont need to be rude about something.
    the OP should have asked the question before ordering a replacement however.
    His dad may have well seen 2.7 or 2.8 .. Many people see the PR rating and
    think it's the actual speed.. That was what AMD plann'd.. Show the user a
    2.8 that runs about like the competitions 2.8..

    rstlne, Aug 9, 2005
  7. BobTheCat

    Carlos Guest

    BobTheCat wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I just ordered a replacement for my Dad's burned up 2800 AMD Athlon XP (fan
    > and heatsink fell off) with a new one.
    > He insistes that his previous CPU said "2.75 or 2.8Ghz" in the POST when he
    > booted his PC but the specs on the one I ordered says it's a 2.08Ghz CPU.
    > Are there different speeds of the same Athlon XP 2800 CPU?
    >
    > [I have NO experience with AMD.]
    >
    > Can this CPU be overclocked? How high is the "usual/average" SAFE freq? [He
    > has an eMachine].
    >
    > Thanks!
    > BobTheCat

    This table lists all the info for the Athlon XP chips:

    http://www.c627627.com/AMD/AthlonXP/

    Carlos, Aug 9, 2005
  8. BobTheCat

    Cuzman Guest

    dawg wrote:

    " There were two types of 2800+ made by AMD. One ran at 266 FSB,the
    other ran at 333 FSB. "

    For socket A, there is one 266FSB desktop version, two 333FSB desktop
    versions, two 266FSB XP-M versions (55W and 72W) and a 266FSB MP
    version. As a side-note, there are also two 333FSB 2800+ Semprons.

    Athlon XP:
    2800+ 266FSB 2133MHz 512KB AXDA2800DKV4C Barton
    2800+ 333FSB 2250MHz 256KB AXDA2800DKV3D Thoroughbred-B
    2800+ 333FSB 2083MHz 512KB AXDA2800DKV4D Barton

    Athlon XP-M:
    2800+ 266FSB 2133MHz 512KB AXMA2800FKT4C Barton (72W TDP)
    2800+ 266FSB 2083MHz 512KB AXDL2800DLV4D Barton (55W DTR)

    Athlon MP:
    2800+ 266FSB 2133MHz 512KB AMSN2800DUT4C Barton

    Sempron:
    2800+ 333FSB 2000MHz 256KB SDA2800DUT3D Thoroughbred-B
    2800+ 333FSB 2000MHz 256KB SDC2800DUT3D Thoroughbred-B

    " The 266 cpu is and was very hard to get for some reason. "

    The desktop 266FSB 2800+ was only released in December 2004. AMD pulled
    all their stocks of engineering samples and unreleased processors from
    the warehouse, quietly sending them out to retailers in small
    quantities. The 333FSB 3200+ was also released at the same time.

    Cuzman, Aug 9, 2005
  9. BobTheCat

    Ruel Smith Guest

    >> You're dad's on crack...

    > You dont need to be rude about something.
    > the OP should have asked the question before ordering a replacement
    > however.
    > His dad may have well seen 2.7 or 2.8 .. Many people see the PR rating and
    > think it's the actual speed.. That was what AMD plann'd.. Show the user a
    > 2.8 that runs about like the competitions 2.8..

    Lighten up! It's a commonly used phrased that 90% of the public aren't
    offended by. Get a sense of humor for God's sake...

    Ruel Smith, Aug 10, 2005
  10. BobTheCat

    DCA Guest

    "Ruel Smith" <> wrote in message
    >>> You're dad's on crack...

    >> You dont need to be rude about something.
    >> the OP should have asked the question before ordering a replacement
    >> however.
    >> His dad may have well seen 2.7 or 2.8 .. Many people see the PR rating
    >> and
    >> think it's the actual speed.. That was what AMD plann'd.. Show the user a
    >> 2.8 that runs about like the competitions 2.8..

    > Lighten up! It's a commonly used phrased that 90% of the public aren't
    > offended by. Get a sense of humor for God's sake...

    Really? - I find it rude too. How about you get an APPROPRIATE sense of
    humour and grow up!

    DCA, Aug 10, 2005
  11. BobTheCat

    spodosaurus Guest

    DCA wrote:
    > "Ruel Smith" <> wrote in message

    >>>You dont need to be rude about something.
    >>>the OP should have asked the question before ordering a replacement
    >>>however.
    >>>His dad may have well seen 2.7 or 2.8 .. Many people see the PR rating
    >>>and
    >>>think it's the actual speed.. That was what AMD plann'd.. Show the user a
    >>>2.8 that runs about like the competitions 2.8..

    >>Lighten up! It's a commonly used phrased that 90% of the public aren't
    >>offended by. Get a sense of humor for God's sake...

    > Really? - I find it rude too. How about you get an APPROPRIATE sense of
    > humour and grow up!

    It's a common expression. If you find it rude, better isolate yourself
    and stay off usenet.

    http://www.abmdr.org.au/
    http://www.marrow.org/

    spodosaurus, Aug 10, 2005
  12. BobTheCat

    JAD Guest

    > It's a common expression. If you find it rude, better isolate yourself
    > and stay off usenet.
    >
    > --

    I find it amazing how people/kids speak to each other and consider it a
    'friendly' conversation. Quite frankly its rude and no matter the
    'commonality' of it, it shows disrespect. The word Bitch is as common as
    'the'. Just because people do it , and continue for years, doesn't make it
    right or 'ok'. As a race of people....we are DE-evolving...speech is
    becoming archaic, a series of grunts and zizzles....next come the caves.

    How about..."Your dad is 'misinformed' 'mistaken' ", Considering the utter
    BS that advertising uses to promote any product, I am surprised that anyone
    'NOT IN THE BUSINESS" can figure out what all the Giga - mega hertz is all
    about.

    JAD, Aug 10, 2005
  13. BobTheCat

    rpl Guest

    spodosaurus wrote:

    <"your dad's on crack">

    > It's a common expression.

    Only for your value of "common", otherwise it isn't, really.

    > If you find it rude, better isolate yourself
    > and stay off usenet.

    Ah the "survival of the phitest" theory.

    You might try putting a ;) in there somewhere.

    Pat
    I wouldn't be offended but that's 'cuz I always forget to put the smilie
    in there, too.

    rpl, Aug 10, 2005
  14. BobTheCat

    spodosaurus Guest

    JAD wrote:
    >>It's a common expression. If you find it rude, better isolate yourself
    >>and stay off usenet.
    >>
    >>--
    >>

    > I find it amazing how people/kids speak to each other and consider it a
    > 'friendly' conversation. Quite frankly its rude and no matter the
    > 'commonality' of it, it shows disrespect. The word Bitch

    ....is profanity, which was not used here, making your analogy completely
    baseless. The phrase is an example of where the connotation does not
    match the denotation. People who have not advanced beyond the concrete
    operational stage of processing miss this point. That's a nice way of
    saying 'grow up', in case you missed that, too.

    http://www.abmdr.org.au/
    http://www.marrow.org/

    spodosaurus, Aug 10, 2005
  15. BobTheCat

    spodosaurus Guest

    rpl wrote:
    > spodosaurus wrote:
    >
    > <"your dad's on crack">
    >
    >> It's a common expression.

    > Only for your value of "common", otherwise it isn't, really.
    >
    >> If you find it rude, better isolate yourself and stay off usenet.

    > Ah the "survival of the phitest" theory.
    >
    > You might try putting a ;) in there somewhere.
    >

    > Pat
    > I wouldn't be offended but that's 'cuz I always forget to put the smilie
    > in there, too.

    I wonder if mozilla will render this emoticon:

    :)

    the same way as this emoticon:

    :)

    http://www.abmdr.org.au/
    http://www.marrow.org/

    spodosaurus, Aug 10, 2005
  16. BobTheCat

    JAD Guest

    "spodosaurus" <spodosaurus@_yahoo_.com> wrote in message
    > JAD wrote:
    > >>It's a common expression. If you find it rude, better isolate yourself
    > >>and stay off usenet.
    > >>
    > >>--
    > >>

    > > I find it amazing how people/kids speak to each other and consider it a
    > > 'friendly' conversation. Quite frankly its rude and no matter the
    > > 'commonality' of it, it shows disrespect. The word Bitch

    > ...is profanity, which was not used here, making your analogy completely
    > baseless. The phrase is an example of where the connotation does not
    > match the denotation. People who have not advanced beyond the concrete
    > operational stage of processing miss this point. That's a nice way of
    > saying 'grow up', in case you missed that, too.

    Wrong! as usual... that is a word referring to a female dog, used in the
    breeding of dogs.....but RUDE when used in reference to a person.

    Nice use of 'big' words,,, if your going to use them, put them in some kind
    of coherent order.

    JAD, Aug 10, 2005
  17. BobTheCat

    spodosaurus Guest

    JAD wrote:
    > "spodosaurus" <spodosaurus@_yahoo_.com> wrote in message

    >>>I find it amazing how people/kids speak to each other and consider it a
    >>>'friendly' conversation. Quite frankly its rude and no matter the
    >>>'commonality' of it, it shows disrespect. The word Bitch

    >>...is profanity, which was not used here, making your analogy completely
    >>baseless. The phrase is an example of where the connotation does not
    >>match the denotation. People who have not advanced beyond the concrete
    >>operational stage of processing miss this point. That's a nice way of
    >>saying 'grow up', in case you missed that, too.

    > Wrong! as usual... that is a word referring to a female dog, used in the
    > breeding of dogs.....but RUDE when used in reference to a person.

    Which is exactly the usage you were referring to, unless you're one of
    those freaks with an abberant interest in animals...?

    > Nice use of 'big' words,,, if your going to use them, put them in some kind
    > of coherent order.

    Try learning the language before using it next time. Your lack of
    education is not my problem.

    http://www.abmdr.org.au/
    http://www.marrow.org/

    spodosaurus, Aug 10, 2005
  18. BobTheCat

    JAD Guest

    > > Wrong! as usual... that is a word referring to a female dog, used in

    the
    > > breeding of dogs.....but RUDE when used in reference to a person.
    > >

    > Which is exactly the usage you were referring to, unless you're one of
    > those freaks with an abberant interest in animals...?
    >

    > > Nice use of 'big' words,,, if your going to use them, put them in some

    kind
    > > of coherent order.

    > Try learning the language before using it next time. Your lack of
    > education is not my problem.

    Heh, regardless of your wiggling, the word is not profanity.
    Please continue to spew, it puts you in a category with a rare few.

    JAD, Aug 10, 2005
  19. BobTheCat

    rpl Guest

    yup ;----)

    rpl, Aug 10, 2005
  20. BobTheCat

    Ruel Smith Guest

    >> Lighten up! It's a commonly used phrased that 90% of the public aren't
    >> offended by. Get a sense of humor for God's sake...

    > Really? - I find it rude too. How about you get an APPROPRIATE sense of
    > humour and grow up!

    If you find it that rude, I could care less. You need to unwind... The
    problem with the world we currently live in is that everyone is constantly
    offended. Chill out... Life's too short!

    Ruel Smith, Aug 10, 2005