    I'm not sure the board supports manual overrides
    I have already checked, and have the most recent BIOS version.

    Thoughts / Ideas - Upgrade Mobo?
    BubbaPrime, Dec 26, 2003

  2. BubbaPrime

    David Condon Guest

    Hi BubbaPrime,

    Yeah, that is the reason, the FSB has to be 166 for the bios to read 2500. I
    just installed my own and that is what mine was set to.
    David Condon, Dec 26, 2003

  3. BubbaPrime

    BubbaPrime Guest

    *drat*
    ....oh well, guess I can get a new mobo and ebay this one.

    Thanks David.

    BubbaPrime, Dec 26, 2003
  4. BubbaPrime

    Wes Newell Guest

    On Fri, 26 Dec 2003 16:06:20 +0000, BubbaPrime wrote:

    > K7S5A Pro - ECS Mainboard
    > Brand new retail (from Newegg) Athlon XP 2500 Barton
    >
    > I think but not sure...
    > Bios shows XP1700
    > FSB is set to 133/133
    > cannot increase the FSB to 166/166
    > is this why I do not see the CPU correctly?
    > I'm not sure the board supports manual overrides
    > I have already checked, and have the most recent BIOS version.
    >
    > Thoughts / Ideas - Upgrade Mobo?

    You might check for the cheepoman bios for that board. I've heard there is
    a way to run the FSB at 166Mhz. But if I were you, I'd just order a
    K7S8XE-R3 or K7S8XE+. Both are sis748 based so conversion won't be much of
    an OS problem. Plus, they're great boards (under $60). Another problem
    will be that you'll need new ram though. If your new 2500+ isn't locked,
    you could use the pin mod to change the multiplier from 11 to 15 or 16 and
    run it at 133MHz FSB still. CPU date code needs to be 0338 or earlier
    for unlocked. Many options anyway. Good luck.

    http://www.ocinside.de/go_e.html?/html/workshop/pinmod/amd_pinmod.html

    Wes Newell, Dec 26, 2003
  5. BubbaPrime

    BubbaPrime Guest

    thanks for the other options, Wes.
    Bubba

    BubbaPrime, Dec 27, 2003
  6. BubbaPrime

    Mike Koehler Guest

    I had the same motherboard and processor,

    This is what you need to go do,

    go into the system bios set to
    CPU PnP to 133/133

    This being what you said u already did Fryes (Right) might have sold u a bad
    processor.

    They honor the warranty for 1 year so show them your receipt and get your
    processor (And board if they'll do it since it might be a bad board, I've
    had a couple bad boards from Elitegroup).

    WAIT A SEC, I just realized it's a Bartons Chip, The Bartons don't work with
    EliteGRoup MB's so if it is an Elitegroup ditch it and go with a gigabyte.
    Works like a champ for me!

    Mike Koehler, Jan 4, 2004