    another $100.
    Anybody got any ideas please? Our location is the Gold Coast, Australia.
    Cheers.

    Venom, Jul 6, 2006

  2. Venom

    Wes Newell Guest

    On Thu, 06 Jul 2006 03:00:26 +0000, Venom wrote:

    > Hi everybody.
    > An old fellow over the street from me was having problems with his computer
    > and I offered to help. To keep it short the problem is his CPU. I said to
    > contact the company that sold the computer to him and he said they have gone
    > belly up and are no longer around. Not a problem I thought so I said to go
    > straight to AMD and as long as he had the purchase reciept he should get
    > warranty. The catch is that they can't seem to find the reciept for the
    > computer which was bought around June 2005. He does have the box that the
    > CPU and heatsink and fan came in as the seller told him to keep the boxes
    > that all the parts come in just in case of warranty. I don't really want to
    > become involved between him and AMD so I thought I would ask if anyone here
    > has had a similar problem with an AMD CPU.
    > I did say to just go out and buy a Sempron to get him going again but he
    > says that as a pensioner he can't see his way clear at this time to fork out
    > another $100.
    > Anybody got any ideas please? Our location is the Gold Coast, Australia.
    > Cheers.

    If he bougt a boxed AMD CPU (it would come with the CPU and cooler in an
    AMD box) then it has a 3 year warranty afaik. They will want the number
    that's on the side of fan to verify it. I don't think they will need a
    receipt for the purchase as long as he still has the box that it came in
    and the fan with the number on the side. if they insist on a receipt, just
    doctor one up with a word pro or hand write one. but before going to all
    that trouble I'd be sure it was the CPU. They don't fail that often, and
    an A64 2800+ should last forever as low as it's clocked.

    Wes Newell, Jul 6, 2006

  3. Venom

    Venom Guest

    > If he bougt a boxed AMD CPU (it would come with the CPU and cooler in an
    > AMD box) then it has a 3 year warranty afaik. They will want the number
    > that's on the side of fan to verify it. I don't think they will need a
    > receipt for the purchase as long as he still has the box that it came in
    > and the fan with the number on the side. if they insist on a receipt, just
    > doctor one up with a word pro or hand write one. but before going to all
    > that trouble I'd be sure it was the CPU. They don't fail that often, and
    > an A64 2800+ should last forever as low as it's clocked.

    The people at the store told him to keep all the boxes as he may need to
    return something for warranty so he has the (PIB?)CPU box. I removed the
    motherboard and set it up on the table and started from scratch with only
    his CPU installed in the board. Then I added my ram and my video card and I
    might add I was using a new power supply I have here just in case. No boot
    at all. I then removed his CPU and my Sempron CPU and fitted the Sempron to
    his board and then it booted to the point where I could get into bios. This
    is what makes me sure it is his Athlon64 that is the problem Wes.
    I am sure I can get a reciept for him if that is all it takes.

    Venom, Jul 6, 2006
  4. Venom

    rstlne Guest

    did you read what wes said
    you should be able to quote the number from the fan. and not need a receipt.
    I'll say that au might have troubles, as in the uk msi are crap but usa are
    good.. so every global division is different..
    just tell them the numbers and that'll have a production date and they'll
    know who bought it originally.

    rstlne, Jul 12, 2006
  5. Venom

    Venom Guest

    "rstlne" <> wrote
    > did you read what wes said
    > you should be able to quote the number from the fan. and not need a

    receipt.
    > I'll say that au might have troubles, as in the uk msi are crap but usa

    are
    > good.. so every global division is different..
    > just tell them the numbers and that'll have a production date and they'll
    > know who bought it originally.

    I would have thought that here in downtown Oz, AMD Australia would handle
    the warranty and maybe they do but the need for a reciept is to identify the
    distributor who would have sold it to the corner computer store. Maybe the
    distributors handle warranty. I will know more today or tomorrow.

    Venom, Jul 13, 2006
  6. Venom

    Venom Guest

    >snip<
    > >

    > I would have thought that here in downtown Oz, AMD Australia would handle
    > the warranty and maybe they do but the need for a reciept is to identify

    the
    > distributor who would have sold it to the corner computer store. Maybe the
    > distributors handle warranty. I will know more today or tomorrow.

    For some odd reason it seems that the distributor has to do the warranty and
    then return the cpu to AMD Aust.for reimbursement. Sounds like a long way of
    doing something. It might have something to do with AMD warranty where it
    says if they can't replace the Athlon64 2800 with the same then they will
    replace it with a cpu of a higher speed. We all know that the higher the
    speed the dearer the cpu is and maybe the distributor is having trouble
    finding a 2800. Three or so weeke is the time I have been given for a new
    cpu which seems wrong somehow but at least warranty will be given. The bloke
    at the local computer store says this is a bit unusual and as Brendan (AMD
    warranty) said that he would back this warranty claim if there was any drama
    with the distributor so my local bloke has forwarded the distributors emails
    to Brendan to see if Brendan can speed things up for me. This is where AMD
    could take lessons from Intel. Their replacement cpu claims are sent back in
    two or three days. Not to worry, at least AMD warranty works.

    Venom, Jul 15, 2006