AthlonXP 2000 on MSI KT4AV with (VIA KT400A) chipset Mainboard has Speed

Discussion in 'AMD Thunderbird' started by ÎÔ»¢²ØÁúCrouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, Apr 29, 2004.

  1. Learned scholars,

    My AthlonXP 2000 on MSI KT4AV with (VIA KT400A) chipset Mainboard has Speed
    Complexity.

    The displayed CPU speed on startup BIOS is 1.25gHz with FSB setting of
    100mhz. Actual speed of Athlon XP2000 is 1.67ghz as provided by AMD.

    Upon changing of FSB settings to 105mhz, speed rises to 1.275ghz. At 110mhz,
    speed is 1.330ghz. When set to 133mhz,
    BIOS displayed 'ATHlonXP 2000' but then system went into a lockup/hanged.

    At 266mhz, system could not be booted. I have to manually flash the BIOS
    RAM to set back to default setting.

    At 110fsbmhz cpu=1330ghz, system is not that stable. BIOS settings
    sometimes will jump back to default 100mhz. Currently system is stable
    under 100mhz cpu=1.25ghz

    Or maube i was conned by the pc dealer into getting a lower speed athlon?

    pls advise. thanks.
    ÎÔ»¢²ØÁúCrouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, Apr 29, 2004

  2. ÎÔ»¢²ØÁúCrouching Tiger Hidden Dragon

    CroW Guest

    > Or maube i was conned by the pc dealer into getting a lower speed athlon?

    Did you put your cooler on the CPU right way? Once I was in a hurry and I
    didn't check so I placed the cooler turned by 180 degrees. In that way the
    cooler didn't touch the whole core so the CPU was overheating. Luckily my
    MBO had some overheating protection and it just shutdowned when put on
    1800MHz, when on 1350Mhz it ran much longer.
    I would say maybe your cooler is not powerful enough to cool your CPU? What
    cooler do you have?
    CroW, Apr 29, 2004

  3. ÎÔ»¢²ØÁúCrouching Tiger Hidden Dragon

    W????n Guest

    What memory?

    "ÎÔ»¢²ØÁúCrouching Tiger Hidden Dragon" <> wrote in
    message news:c6pfa8$ed4lu$-berlin.de...

    W????n, Apr 29, 2004
  4. ÎÔ»¢²ØÁúCrouching Tiger Hidden Dragon

    Rick Guest

    I don't have that board, but I'm pretty sure this is your problem...

    Is there a jumper on your mainboard that changes the FSB from 100MHz
    (200DDR) to 133MHz (266DDR)? If there is, set your BIOS back to 100MHz, shut
    down the computer and then change the jumper. With boards that are
    configured like this, you are actually overclocking your FSB by raising the
    settings in the BIOS. If this is the case, than you AGP and PCI bus' are
    getting overclocked and failing at approx 115MHz FSB like most KT400A
    chipset boards.

    Good luck, Rick

    Rick, Apr 29, 2004
  5. ÎÔ»¢²ØÁúCrouching Tiger Hidden Dragon

    rstlne Guest

    "ÎÔ»¢²ØÁúCrouching Tiger Hidden Dragon" <> wrote in
    message news:c6pfa8$ed4lu$-berlin.de...

    > Learned scholars,
    >
    > My AthlonXP 2000 on MSI KT4AV with (VIA KT400A) chipset Mainboard has

    Speed
    > Complexity.
    >
    > The displayed CPU speed on startup BIOS is 1.25gHz with FSB setting of
    > 100mhz. Actual speed of Athlon XP2000 is 1.67ghz as provided by AMD.
    >
    > Upon changing of FSB settings to 105mhz, speed rises to 1.275ghz. At

    110mhz,
    > speed is 1.330ghz. When set to 133mhz,
    > BIOS displayed 'ATHlonXP 2000' but then system went into a lockup/hanged.
    >
    > At 266mhz, system could not be booted. I have to manually flash the BIOS
    > RAM to set back to default setting.
    >
    > At 110fsbmhz cpu=1330ghz, system is not that stable. BIOS settings
    > sometimes will jump back to default 100mhz. Currently system is stable
    > under 100mhz cpu=1.25ghz
    >
    > Or maube i was conned by the pc dealer into getting a lower speed athlon?
    >
    > pls advise. thanks.

    Msi boards = Crap
    What's your memory, If it's only rated for 100mhz then you'll need to make
    sure your not overclocking that (easy problem to not spot)
    Could it be that the CPU Heatsink isnt connected correctly.. Tell us what
    the temps are when it's running @ 100mhz fsb
    rstlne, Apr 29, 2004
  6. standard AMd cooler bundled in the AMD box

    Green Mountain, May 2, 2004
  7. ÎÔ»¢²ØÁúCrouching Tiger Hidden Dragon

    Nanyang Guest

    Kingmax from Taiwan.

    Box says speed is 400mhz but mobo shows a speed of 333 even when set to 400
    in BIOS

    Nanyang, May 2, 2004
  8. ÎÔ»¢²ØÁúCrouching Tiger Hidden Dragon

    Nanyang Guest

    Kingmax 256mb at 400mhz bbut detected by mobo at 333.

    > What's your memory, If it's only rated for 100mhz then you'll need to make
    > sure your not overclocking that (easy problem to not spot)

    35-43 degrees Celcius

    Nanyang, May 2, 2004
  9. ÎÔ»¢²ØÁúCrouching Tiger Hidden Dragon

    Nanyang Guest

    MSI Multiplier setting- has an 'Auto' default setting. I am using it.
    that's why my fsb and CPU speed screws up.
    Nanyang, May 2, 2004
  10. Re: AthlonXP 2000 on MSI KT4AV with (VIA KT400A) chipset Mainboardhas Speed

    Did a checkup with the manual but msi manual says only fsb speed is
    adjustable thru software BIOS. no jumper is shown on the manual drawing
    of the board. did not see physically though.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?=BB=A8=BA=C3=C2=FA_=D4=C2Beautiful_, May 6, 2004