ATI 9.12 Install--did not install

Discussion in 'ATI' started by RoseW, Dec 20, 2009.

  1. RoseW

    RoseW Guest

    Radeon 3870 Windows 7 Professional 4 quad 8G ram - clean install.
    Microsoft installed 9.11 at time of install and operating device manager
    driver version displays 8.6.32.1.200

    Downloaded just the 9.12 drivers to install Dec.17.
    The install process appeared to be processing from what was viewed on
    the monitor.
    No change in the operating device manager driver version. It is still 8.6
    There isn't a new date in any of the ATI driver files as compared to the
    original (by chance, I have a copy because there was a necessity for the
    technician to reinstall Win7 which made an old copy of the original
    windows 7 install which had ATI 9.11)

    removed before installing the updated version so I did not manually
    remove the 9.11 on this 9.12 install occassion.

    I'm not sure what step to do at this point.
    a)Delete the expanded files located in C:\Ati for the recent download
    b)Download again and include the Catalyst portion
    or Download again just the drivers to try again.
    c) Or go through the driver update routine using the operating system
    drivers dialog box which I assume will be pointed at the expanded files
    at the root of C:

    There is an atikmag error repeatedly displaying in the event manager
    with ID 52236 CPLIB and another 'display is not active' ID 43029 DAL
    error when using the current 9.11 drivers. I turned off SLEEP but that
    hasn't stopped the event error.
    Perhaps updating the drivers has nothing to do with correcting this
    atikmag error listing?

    Rose
    RoseW, Dec 20, 2009

  2. RoseW

    Cronos Guest

    RoseW wrote:

    > There is an atikmag error repeatedly displaying in the event manager
    > with ID 52236 CPLIB and another 'display is not active' ID 43029 DAL
    > error when using the current 9.11 drivers. I turned off SLEEP but that
    > hasn't stopped the event error.
    > Perhaps updating the drivers has nothing to do with correcting this
    > atikmag error listing?
    >
    > Rose

    Download Driver Sweeper from the below url and have it remove all ATI
    crap then reboot PC and then install 9.12 driver with CCC from ATI.

    http://downloads.guru3d.com/Guru3D---Driver-Sweeper-(Setup)_d1655.html

    I recommend you set Microsoft updates to ask you what to install and not
    allow it to just install automatically because the drivers from ATI are
    not the same as the ones Microsoft provide and as you found out can mess
    up your system. I do updates manually because I know the major updates
    are released the second Tuesday of every month and I like to see just
    exactly what is being installed and do not install all optional updates.
    Cronos, Dec 20, 2009

  3. RoseW

    RoseW Guest

    On 12/20/2009 3:03 PM, Cronos wrote:
    > RoseW wrote:
    >
    >> There is an atikmag error repeatedly displaying in the event manager
    >> with ID 52236 CPLIB and another 'display is not active' ID 43029 DAL
    >> error when using the current 9.11 drivers. I turned off SLEEP but that
    >> hasn't stopped the event error.
    >> Perhaps updating the drivers has nothing to do with correcting this
    >> atikmag error listing?
    >>
    >> Rose

    > Download Driver Sweeper from the below url and have it remove all ATI
    > crap then reboot PC and then install 9.12 driver with CCC from ATI.
    >

    > http://downloads.guru3d.com/Guru3D---Driver-Sweeper-(Setup)_d1655.html
    >
    > I recommend you set Microsoft updates to ask you what to install and not
    > allow it to just install automatically because the drivers from ATI are
    > not the same as the ones Microsoft provide and as you found out can mess
    > up your system. I do updates manually because I know the major updates
    > are released the second Tuesday of every month and I like to see just
    > exactly what is being installed and do not install all optional updates.

    Your recommend is the routine I normally follow ( not installing
    automatically) but the computer shop had to redo their original
    installation of my machine and in that process the ATI drivers were
    included with the update.
    I agree with your observation of the MS extras. I had the 9.11 drivers
    installed before the machine went back to the shop and all systems were
    operating smoothly.
    Thanks for the input.
    Rose
    RoseW, Dec 20, 2009
  4. RoseW

    Cronos Guest

    RoseW wrote:

    > Your recommend is the routine I normally follow ( not installing
    > automatically) but the computer shop had to redo their original
    > installation of my machine and in that process the ATI drivers were
    > included with the update.
    > I agree with your observation of the MS extras. I had the 9.11 drivers
    > installed before the machine went back to the shop and all systems were
    > operating smoothly.
    > Thanks for the input.
    > Rose

    OK, let me know if the driver sweeper method and installation of 9.12
    w/CCC fixed your issue or not.
    Cronos, Dec 20, 2009
  5. RoseW

    Cronos Guest

    RoseW wrote:

    > Thank you for the kick-start assistance <grin>
    > Rose

    No problem. I haven't installed 9.12 yet and am still on 9.11. I will
    install later and see if I get any issues but I have never in the past
    when I run the ATI uninstall tool first. Not driver sweeper but in the
    add/remove programs feature in control panel there is a tool listed to
    uninstall all ATI stuff and is from ATI, so long as that is run first
    and you reboot the PC then the install will go fine. But for you there
    was no such uninstaller because you never installed CCC so the driver
    sweeper instead was needed.
    Cronos, Dec 21, 2009