Audigy 2 digital out to AV amp

Discussion in 'Soundcards' started by Bruce Law, Aug 11, 2003.

  1. Bruce Law

    Bruce Law Guest

    Apologies for this newbie question.

    I've just bought the basic Audigy 2 card and perhaps I'm being naive here
    but was I wrong in thinking it's possible to output 5.1 channels to my amp
    using the digital out? I'm particularly thinking of games.

    I've connected a mini-jack to phono adapter to the digital out and a phono
    lead from that to the digital in on my AV amp, but can only get sound from
    the front left and right channels using the speaker test in the 'Speaker
    Settings' application. I suspect the signal is not even digital, despite
    having told it to output only digital signals, because my Amp automatically
    switches to analogue if there is no digital signal present. However I have
    managed to get full Dolby Digital 5.1 sound via the same cable arrangement
    when using PowerDVD and a suitable DVD.

    Am I missing something or am I hoping for too much from the Audigy card?

    Bruce

    ---

    Bruce Law, Aug 11, 2003

  2. Bruce Law

    Guest

    Yeah, you're expecting too much of the card. The card itself is not a dolby 5.1
    digital encoder, so it won't output a 5.1 digital signal unless the software
    generates it. This is why it works with powerDVD and a 5.1 DVD. To get 5.1
    from games not programmed to generate it, you would need a solution like the
    nvidia chips that are built into some motherboards.

    On Mon, 11 Aug 2003 23:28:16 +0100, "Bruce Law"
    <> wrote:

    >>Apologies for this newbie question.
    >>
    >>I've just bought the basic Audigy 2 card and perhaps I'm being naive here
    >>but was I wrong in thinking it's possible to output 5.1 channels to my amp
    >>using the digital out? I'm particularly thinking of games.
    >>
    >>I've connected a mini-jack to phono adapter to the digital out and a phono
    >>lead from that to the digital in on my AV amp, but can only get sound from
    >>the front left and right channels using the speaker test in the 'Speaker
    >>Settings' application. I suspect the signal is not even digital, despite
    >>having told it to output only digital signals, because my Amp automatically
    >>switches to analogue if there is no digital signal present. However I have
    >>managed to get full Dolby Digital 5.1 sound via the same cable arrangement
    >>when using PowerDVD and a suitable DVD.
    >>
    >>Am I missing something or am I hoping for too much from the Audigy card?
    >>
    >>Bruce
    >>

    >>---

    , Aug 12, 2003

  3. Bruce Law

    Bruce Law Guest

    Cheers. Are there any games that do pump out DD5.1 or DTS? And am I right in
    presuming I can still connect up the 6 analogue outs of the Audigy to my amp
    and get surround sound from (most) games.

    Bruce
    <> wrote in message news:...
    > Yeah, you're expecting too much of the card. The card itself is not a

    dolby 5.1
    > digital encoder, so it won't output a 5.1 digital signal unless the

    software
    > generates it. This is why it works with powerDVD and a 5.1 DVD. To get

    5.1
    > from games not programmed to generate it, you would need a solution like

    the
    > nvidia chips that are built into some motherboards.
    >

    > On Mon, 11 Aug 2003 23:28:16 +0100, "Bruce Law"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >>Apologies for this newbie question.
    > >>
    > >>I've just bought the basic Audigy 2 card and perhaps I'm being naive

    here
    > >>but was I wrong in thinking it's possible to output 5.1 channels to my

    amp
    > >>using the digital out? I'm particularly thinking of games.
    > >>
    > >>I've connected a mini-jack to phono adapter to the digital out and a

    phono
    > >>lead from that to the digital in on my AV amp, but can only get sound

    from
    > >>the front left and right channels using the speaker test in the 'Speaker
    > >>Settings' application. I suspect the signal is not even digital, despite
    > >>having told it to output only digital signals, because my Amp

    automatically
    > >>switches to analogue if there is no digital signal present. However I

    have
    > >>managed to get full Dolby Digital 5.1 sound via the same cable

    arrangement
    > >>when using PowerDVD and a suitable DVD.
    > >>
    > >>Am I missing something or am I hoping for too much from the Audigy card?
    > >>
    > >>Bruce
    > >>

    > >>---

    ---

    Bruce Law, Aug 12, 2003
  4. Bruce Law

    Guest

    You have to look on the box that the game comes in; if it say there's more than
    two channels, fine; if not, you have to artificially generate the other channels
    with some other software, on the fly. If you don't have 5.1 to start with or
    artificially generate additional channels from stereo, then it doesn't matter
    how you hook your computer up to your amp, you're still only getting stereo.
    You've got to have a multichannel source to get the output.

    On Tue, 12 Aug 2003 01:04:43 +0100, "Bruce Law"
    <> wrote:

    >>Cheers. Are there any games that do pump out DD5.1 or DTS? And am I right in
    >>presuming I can still connect up the 6 analogue outs of the Audigy to my amp
    >>and get surround sound from (most) games.
    >>
    >>Bruce
    >><> wrote in message news:...
    >>> Yeah, you're expecting too much of the card. The card itself is not a

    >>dolby 5.1
    >>> digital encoder, so it won't output a 5.1 digital signal unless the

    >>software
    >>> generates it. This is why it works with powerDVD and a 5.1 DVD. To get

    >>5.1
    >>> from games not programmed to generate it, you would need a solution like

    >>the
    >>> nvidia chips that are built into some motherboards.

    >>here

    >>amp

    >>phono

    >>from

    >>automatically

    >>have

    >>arrangement

    >>---

    , Aug 12, 2003
  5. Bruce Law

    Juke Guest

    I'm having the same issue with getting 5.1 audio to my amp.
    My question becomes, when I run the speaker test and set it to 5.1,
    shouldn't the test generate test noise to all the different speakers,
    LCR-Rear Left and Rear right?
    All I can her is "Front Left", and "Front Right", when testing using CHANNEL
    under the speaker settings dialog box. I can never hear "Center", "left
    rear" and "right rear" unless I turn on CMSS.

    Juke, Sep 28, 2003
  6. Bruce Law

    Bruce Law Guest

    Are you using the digital out? If so, the problem is probably to do with
    using the correct connector. You need a mono jack to phono lead, rather than
    a stereo jack to phono. If you use a mono lead (or jack to phono adapter)
    you should hear all your channels.

    Bruce

    > > You have to look on the box that the game comes in; if it say there's

    more
    > than
    > > two channels, fine; if not, you have to artificially generate the other

    > channels
    > > with some other software, on the fly. If you don't have 5.1 to start

    with
    > or
    > > artificially generate additional channels from stereo, then it doesn't

    > matter
    > > how you hook your computer up to your amp, you're still only getting

    > stereo.
    > > You've got to have a multichannel source to get the output.

    > right in

    my
    > amp

    > get

    > like

    naive

    > my

    > sound

    > 'Speaker

    > despite

    However

    > card?

    ---

    Bruce Law, Sep 28, 2003
  7. Bruce Law

    Juke Guest

    I tried using the mono jack to a coax cable, and I tried using the optical
    jack and coax from the front panel (Audigy platinum), with the same results.
    Olny left channel and right channel output.

    Any other suggestions?

    Thanks

    "Bruce Law" <> wrote in message
    > Are you using the digital out? If so, the problem is probably to do with
    > using the correct connector. You need a mono jack to phono lead, rather

    than
    > a stereo jack to phono. If you use a mono lead (or jack to phono adapter)
    > you should hear all your channels.
    >
    > Bruce
    > "Juke" <> wrote in message
    > > I'm having the same issue with getting 5.1 audio to my amp.
    > > My question becomes, when I run the speaker test and set it to 5.1,
    > > shouldn't the test generate test noise to all the different speakers,
    > > LCR-Rear Left and Rear right?
    > > All I can her is "Front Left", and "Front Right", when testing using

    > CHANNEL
    > > under the speaker settings dialog box. I can never hear "Center", "left
    > > rear" and "right rear" unless I turn on CMSS.
    > >

    > > <> wrote in message

    > > > You have to look on the box that the game comes in; if it say there's

    > more
    > > than
    > > > two channels, fine; if not, you have to artificially generate the

    other
    > > channels
    > > > with some other software, on the fly. If you don't have 5.1 to start

    > with
    > > or
    > > > artificially generate additional channels from stereo, then it doesn't

    > > matter
    > > > how you hook your computer up to your amp, you're still only getting

    > > stereo.
    > > > You've got to have a multichannel source to get the output.

    > > right in

    > my
    > > amp

    not

    the

    > > get

    solution
    > > like

    > naive

    > > my

    and

    > > sound

    > > 'Speaker

    > > despite

    > However

    Audigy
    > > card?

    04/08/2003

    Juke, Sep 28, 2003
  8. Bruce Law

    Bruce Law Guest

    I'm a bit stumped, I'm afraid. Just one thing: when you play a DVD on your
    PC whilst it's hooked up to your AV amp, does your amp tell you that it's
    getting a digital signal and do you get sound from your rear speakers? If
    yes, then that implies the problem lies somewhere with the test software or
    its settings. As a safe bet, it's probably best to test with the optical
    cable.

    Bruce

    ---

    Bruce Law, Sep 29, 2003