Audigy2 & speakers

Discussion in 'Soundblaster Live' started by Mart, Jan 9, 2004.

  1. Mart

    Mart Guest

    I'm currently using a Creative Audigy but
    I'm thinking of upgrading to the Audigy 2.

    I only have a two speaker setup so is the
    Audigy 2 worth buying? Would there be
    any difference in it to the Audigy when
    used with just two speakers?

    Upon saying that, I may buy the
    Inspire 6.1 but I don't have a wall close
    enough behind me to hook the rear ones up to.
    Do they come with stands so I can just stand
    them up a little way behind me?

    Thanks for any replies.

    Mart.

    "I'd rather be no-one
    than someone with no-one"
    Mart, Jan 9, 2004

  2. Mart

    Folk Guest

    On Fri, 09 Jan 2004 15:45:46 +0000, Mart <> wrote:

    >I'm currently using a Creative Audigy but
    >I'm thinking of upgrading to the Audigy 2.
    >
    >I only have a two speaker setup so is the
    >Audigy 2 worth buying? Would there be
    >any difference in it to the Audigy when
    >used with just two speakers?
    >
    >Upon saying that, I may buy the
    >Inspire 6.1 but I don't have a wall close
    >enough behind me to hook the rear ones up to.
    >Do they come with stands so I can just stand
    >them up a little way behind me?
    >
    >Thanks for any replies.
    >
    >Mart.
    >
    >"I'd rather be no-one
    >than someone with no-one"

    I have Klipsch 4.1 speakers and do quite a bit of online gaming. All
    four satellite speakers are on my desk, but the 'rear' speakers are
    positioned to the far right and left and angled slightly away from me,
    pointing to a place that would be behind me. You quickly adjust to
    recognizing any sound coming from those speakers as coming from
    'behind' you. Believe me... the stands would get old, fast.
    Folk, Jan 9, 2004

  3. Mart

    Lenny Guest

    > I'm currently using a Creative Audigy but
    > I'm thinking of upgrading to the Audigy 2.

    Go for the ZS edition, not regular Audigy2, or else there's virtually no
    point in replacing your soundcard. The Audigy2 was widely criticized for
    being somewhat LESS of a half-assed product when it was new. Sure, it
    features a 24-bit/96kHz DA converter, but it isn't actually used to its full
    capacity.

    > I only have a two speaker setup so is the
    > Audigy 2 worth buying?

    You might want to consider new speakers too, or else there would be little
    point in it. Also, I would probably not select Creative speakers, as those
    are more centered on price rather than performance. Look at Logitech
    instead, you don't have to go for the flagship Z-680 speakers (which I now
    own, and they totally rock the house might be added, and are ideal for
    Audigy2 ZS use as they have both optical and coaxial digital in, as well as
    5.1 analog in), but any of the 4.1 or 2.1 speakers featuring the same bass
    box as the 680 system will serve you very well (though I of course fail to
    see the point of a buying another 2.1 system, hehe). Cheap speaker sets
    skimp on many things, including the size and quality of the subwoofer. As
    surround systems use rather small satellite speakers that only reproduce
    mid-range and treble frequencies, you NEED a good subwoofer to get a full
    sound. Small subs often sound flat under the best of circumstances and get
    oversaturated easily and thusly distort the sound when trying to reproduce
    intense bass, such as during DVD movie playback or games.

    > Would there be
    > any difference in it to the Audigy when
    > used with just two speakers?

    I very much doubt there will be any easily noticeable differences. The
    Audigy series has superior audio performance (meaning higher sensitivity,
    better signal to noise ratio etc), and considerably better EAX reproduction
    (sound environment effects in games), but unless you have multiple speakers
    this will not show through fully.

    > Upon saying that, I may buy the
    > Inspire 6.1 but I don't have a wall close
    > enough behind me to hook the rear ones up to.

    As for speaker placement, I'd suggest a 5.1 setup instead (you don't need
    those extra rears) and place the front left and right speakers in front of
    you on either side of your monitor some distance apart, and rear speakers
    directly on either side of you, preferably an equal distance from your head
    of course. I happen to have conveniently located bookshelves I can use for
    that, and it saves me from having speaker cables running across the floor to
    the rear positions.

    > Do they come with stands so I can just stand
    > them up a little way behind me?

    Probably not. These speakers are pretty low-budget after all.
    Lenny, Jan 12, 2004