    Wokingham, Berkshire, UK.

    Satellite images at:
    www.btinternet.com/~wokingham.weather/wwp.html
    Bernard Burton, Mar 14, 2005

  2. Bernard Burton

    JefN Guest

    "Bernard Burton" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    |I have recently installed an ABit NF7-S motherboard. I am unable to get
    | reliable sound reproduction via the onboard audio. Audio CDs played using
    | Win Media Player 9 or 7 produce broken sound. Internet radio streaming
    also
    | produces continuous breaks and rebuffering.
    | I am using Win98SE operating system. The PC is connected to the internet
    via
    | an USB ADSL modem. The PC acts as host to 3 other computers on an Ad Hoc
    | radio network. There are no conflicts shown in the systems check, and all
    | the audio drivers are are 'working properly'.
    | Internet streaming of radio stations works fine over the network on the
    | other PCs.
    | I have installed other media players, but get the same problem, so it
    | doesn't seem to be associated with WMP9.
    |
    | As a relative novice, is there some obvious answer I am overlooking?
    | Shoud I reinstall the NVidia Audio drivers? If so, should I uninstall the
    | old drivers first?

    Hello Bernard -

    Which drivers are you using on the system? The drivers that came on the CD
    from Abit or the latest update from nVidia?

    While support for Windows 98SE was an afterthought in the development of the
    nForce platform, the more recent drivers have addressed many of the issues
    with with the onboard audio.

    Have a look at version 4.27 of the nForce Unified Drivers:
    http://www.nvidia.com/object/nforce_udp_win9x_4.27

    You probably should uninstall everything "nVidia" in Add or Remove Programs
    prior to installing this driver pack.

    Good luck and hope this helps.

    Jef

    JefN, Mar 14, 2005

  3. Bernard Burton

    Conor Guest

    In article <>, Bernard Burton says...
    > I have recently installed an ABit NF7-S motherboard. I am unable to get
    > reliable sound reproduction via the onboard audio. Audio CDs played using
    > Win Media Player 9 or 7 produce broken sound. Internet radio streaming also
    > produces continuous breaks and rebuffering.
    > I am using Win98SE operating system. The PC is connected to the internet via
    > an USB ADSL modem. The PC acts as host to 3 other computers on an Ad Hoc
    > radio network. There are no conflicts shown in the systems check, and all
    > the audio drivers are are 'working properly'.
    > Internet streaming of radio stations works fine over the network on the
    > other PCs.
    > I have installed other media players, but get the same problem, so it
    > doesn't seem to be associated with WMP9.
    >
    > As a relative novice, is there some obvious answer I am overlooking?

    Yep. THe fact you're using Win98 and are sharing IRQs.

    --
    Conor

    -- George Patton
    Conor, Mar 14, 2005
  4. --

    "JefN" <> wrote in message
    > "Bernard Burton" <> wrote in message
    > |I have recently installed an ABit NF7-S motherboard. I am unable to get
    > | reliable sound reproduction via the onboard audio. Audio CDs played

    using
    > | Win Media Player 9 or 7 produce broken sound. Internet radio streaming
    > also
    > | produces continuous breaks and rebuffering.
    > | I am using Win98SE operating system. The PC is connected to the internet
    > via
    > | an USB ADSL modem. The PC acts as host to 3 other computers on an Ad Hoc
    > | radio network. There are no conflicts shown in the systems check, and

    all
    > | the audio drivers are are 'working properly'.
    > | Internet streaming of radio stations works fine over the network on the
    > | other PCs.
    > | I have installed other media players, but get the same problem, so it
    > | doesn't seem to be associated with WMP9.
    > |
    > | As a relative novice, is there some obvious answer I am overlooking?
    > | Shoud I reinstall the NVidia Audio drivers? If so, should I uninstall

    the
    > | old drivers first?
    > |

    > Hello Bernard -
    >
    > Which drivers are you using on the system? The drivers that came on the

    CD
    > from Abit or the latest update from nVidia?
    >
    > While support for Windows 98SE was an afterthought in the development of

    the
    > nForce platform, the more recent drivers have addressed many of the issues
    > with with the onboard audio.
    >
    > Have a look at version 4.27 of the nForce Unified Drivers:
    > http://www.nvidia.com/object/nforce_udp_win9x_4.27
    >
    > You probably should uninstall everything "nVidia" in Add or Remove

    Programs
    > prior to installing this driver pack.
    >
    > Good luck and hope this helps.
    >
    > Jef
    >

    > | --
    > | Bernard Burton
    > | Wokingham, Berkshire, UK.
    > |
    > | Satellite images at:
    > | www.btinternet.com/~wokingham.weather/wwp.html

    Jef,
    Thanks for your response.
    I am using the Nvidia drivers that came on the ABit CD.
    I will try the nForce Unified drivers pack, as you advise.

    Regards

    Bernard Burton, Mar 14, 2005
  5. > I am using Win98SE operating system.
    This is your first problem.

    > As a relative novice, is there some obvious answer I am overlooking?

    If you absolutely need/want carry on using Win98SE, so get the last nVidia
    mobo driver and make a fresh install... but I'd use at least W2k sp4 and get
    at least 512Mb of RAM... better hardware control and memory control.

    HTH,

    --
    Pepe
    Milano, Italy
    Giuseppe Carmine De Blasio, Mar 14, 2005
  6. Bernard Burton

    Not Bob Guest

    If the new drivers don't work you might try this MS hotfix:
    http://www1.rm.com/docs/files/pc/q242937.exe I had audio skipping problems
    with my NF7-S and Win98SE that this fixed. For information on this hotfix
    see here: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=242937

    Not Bob, Mar 14, 2005
  7. Thanks to all of you who replied. Your comments have been most helpful.

    Bernard Burton, Mar 14, 2005