    board or the CPU socket. The seller won't respond to emails, so I guess
    we're stuck with it. He put everything back on the original MB and it's
    running perfectly (except for the broken SATA connector).

    kazikmazik, Nov 6, 2006

  2. kazikmazik

    NewMan Guest

    I have this exact same motherboard. I had no problems with it until I
    went to do a RAM upgrade.

    Of course, I purchased the fastest RAM that the manual said I could
    PC3200 - DDR-400!

    And immediately I was getting blue screens! :(

    I put the old RAM in, and NO problem. So I went to the web site!

    Lo and behold! BIOS UPDATE!

    The latest BIOS is:

    AV49PS06
    Checksum: 46D0H Date: 02/05/2004
    1.Audio ID from 1106 4161 to 1297 C405.
    2.Support AV49 PCB 1.5
    3.Fixed 133 FSB with DDR400 compatibility problem.

    Note item #3 here??? As soon as I flashed to this BIOS, the board
    worked fine with the DDR400 RAM. I will caution you though, it takes a
    LONG time to boot with this BIOS version! So BE PATIENT. The system
    takes longer to boot, but it is stable - and that is a good thing!

    Here is a lint to the Shuttle web site for the downloads:

    http://global.shuttle.com/Download/Download_File.asp?Item=AV49P/N

    Did you happen to notice or record the BIOS versions of the two
    motherboards you have?

    This is about the only thing I think could cause the problem.

    Oh, and of course, you let the motherboard determine the RAM speed
    timing by itself! If you manually set these settings, then you would
    have to make sure that the settings were transfered into the BIOS on
    the new motherboard as well.

    Let me know how it goes!

    hth

    NewMan, Nov 7, 2006

  3. kazikmazik

    kazikmazik Guest

    I forgot to mention, that was one of the first things I did. Both boards
    have the latest BIOS version.

    kazikmazik, Nov 7, 2006
  4. kazikmazik

    NewMan Guest

    Two possibilities....

    Were you aware that there ARE jumpers on this motherboard! It is NOT
    "jumperless". JP2 and JP3 must be set either 100M for 400MHz FSB, 133M
    for 533 FSB, or 200M for 800MHz FSB!

    Download the manual if you need to and look at Page 24, it will give
    you the jumper settings. If these are not set correctly, so say 133M
    instead of 100M, or 200M instead of 133M, then you are overclocking
    your system and this could cause the crashes you are experienceing.

    I know, I know.... why the F&ck any motherboard manufacturer EVER puts
    critical jumpers on a motherboard these days is BEYOND ME! The only
    jumper that is a MUST is the CMOS Reset Jumper. And, as long as that
    is in the correct position, then you do NOT need it in everyday
    operations!

    possiblity #2...

    I take it then, that you are running WinXP. So take off the "auto
    restart" and let the sucker hang!

    We need to see the exact messages regarding th BSOD, the hex code that
    it reports, and the exact message.

    I had a problem a while back with a couple of computers at work. These
    had ASUS boards in them - as most of our computers do! And most of
    them had been deployed and stable for YEARS. All of a sudden BSOD
    start popping up everywhere! with NO recent changes!

    Turns out is was a f&ck-up from Micro$haft! The problems all started
    happening after a bunch of "updates". Lo and behold! Within a few
    days, during which Micr$haft was likely PEPPEREED with complaints,
    another "update" was available. Of course the "update" had nothing
    "officially" to do with our problem, but as soon as it was installed
    the BSOD problem went away!

    Funny coincidence!

    In any case, you MUST make sure that you have ALL the latest updates
    from the Micro$haft Update site - with the possible exception of the
    WGA virus that is! ;)

    Let us know how it pans out.

    hth

    NewMan, Nov 8, 2006
  5. kazikmazik

    kazikmazik Guest

    Jumpers were correct since I have the manual. I am running w2k3 server with
    the auto update feature off so I don't think that was the problem.
    Unfortunately, I did not make a note of what the bluescreens said, and I am
    currently running the original board with no problems. I have ordered a SATA
    controller card to make up for the busted SATA connector. I'll do a test
    setup of the new board eventually once I find some memory and another hard
    drive. I'm still wondering about the possibility of the CPU socket as being
    the problem. Is there any way to separate the top part of the socket from
    the part that is soldered to the board without destroying the socket? I've
    never seen a CPU socket that would pull a pin off. Usually undoing the bar
    makes the CPU easy to remove. Could there be another pin from a previous CPU
    inside there?

    kazikmazik, Nov 11, 2006
  6. kazikmazik

    NewMan Guest

    On Fri, 10 Nov 2006 18:59:04 -0600, "kazikmazik"
    <> wrote:

    >Jumpers were correct since I have the manual. I am running w2k3 server with
    >the auto update feature off so I don't think that was the problem.
    >Unfortunately, I did not make a note of what the bluescreens said, and I am
    >currently running the original board with no problems. I have ordered a SATA
    >controller card to make up for the busted SATA connector. I'll do a test
    >setup of the new board eventually once I find some memory and another hard
    >drive. I'm still wondering about the possibility of the CPU socket as being
    >the problem. Is there any way to separate the top part of the socket from
    >the part that is soldered to the board without destroying the socket?

    Not that I know of.

    > I've
    >never seen a CPU socket that would pull a pin off. Usually undoing the bar
    >makes the CPU easy to remove. Could there be another pin from a previous CPU
    >inside there?

    It is possible. Also, despite the socket being a "zero insertion
    force" socket, this does NOT mean that it was ment for repeated
    openings and closings. It is possible that the socket had a minor
    defect in it from day one. Since MOST people install a CPU, and it
    stays there until the day the system is dead, the defect might have
    otherwise gone un-noticed. You just got "lucky" (perhaps).

    Replacing such a socket is not a repair that should be undertaken
    without the correct equipment. NOTE: The "correct" equipment in this
    case is worth about $50,000.

    You would have better luck replacing the SATA connector. ;)

    I am always interested, so please keep us posted on your progress.

    NewMan, Nov 14, 2006