AV8 - BIOS checksum error

Discussion in 'Abit' started by Dale, Mar 28, 2007.

  1. Dale

    Dale Guest

    I'm putting together a spare system from 'older' parts. Using AV8 & Athlon
    64 4000+.

    After putting the system together, I cleared the BIOS & during reboot get
    error: checksum, loading defaults. Press F1 to continue. I do & the boot
    continues. I reboot, enter BIOS setup & set boot device, device boot order,
    etc.. Press F10 to save - the system fails to reboot giving 'klaxon' like
    sound (long high pitch, short low pitch). Post code showing in LED is 9.0.
    Power off & restart - same stuff. Clearing the BIOS just repeats the above
    sequence. Hoping against hope, I did flash the BIOS to 2.7, cleared it,
    restarted. Same sequence as above after the flash.

    Any ideas as to likely problem? BIOS chip? Battery? motherboard? processor?

    Appreciate any thoughts / suggestions.

    --
    Dale Sampson
    http://www.dalesplace.net
    Dale, Mar 28, 2007

  2. Dale wrote:

    | I'm putting together a spare system from 'older' parts. Using AV8 &
    | Athlon 64 4000+.
    |
    | After putting the system together, I cleared the BIOS & during reboot
    | get error: checksum, loading defaults. Press F1 to continue. I do & the
    | boot continues. I reboot, enter BIOS setup & set boot device, device boot
    | order, etc.. Press F10 to save - the system fails to reboot giving
    'klaxon'
    | like sound (long high pitch, short low pitch). Post code showing in LED is
    | 9.0. Power off & restart - same stuff. Clearing the BIOS just repeats
    the
    | above sequence. Hoping against hope, I did flash the BIOS to 2.7, cleared
    | it, restarted. Same sequence as above after the flash.
    |
    | Any ideas as to likely problem? BIOS chip? Battery? motherboard?
    | processor?
    |
    | Appreciate any thoughts / suggestions.

    Hi Dale -

    You're getting the CMOS Checksum Error because, after clearing the CMOS,
    you're running at Failsafe Defaults (which is a default lower FSB, out of
    spec for your processor and, hence, the error message).

    When you go into the setup screens, the first option you should choose is
    Load Failsafe Defaults .. then make other settings and F10 to Save and Exit.

    However, your high-low siren is generally caused by one of two things: out
    of specification voltages or overheating.

    Out of specification voltages can usually be traced back to an inadequate
    (undersized) or poor quality PSU. Please help us here and tell us your
    complete system specs, inclusive of who makes your PSU, it's maximum rated
    wattage and the amperage ratings on the +12v, +5v and +3.3v rails (don't
    care about the negative rails as no current system makes use of them).

    Overheating often occurs as a result of improperly seated HSF or improper
    application of thermal conductive material. You want a thin, even coat of
    thermal compound on the CPU die (use a single-edge razor to spread it
    evenly).

    You are able to POST at Failsafe Defaults because you're running at a lower
    FSB, which makes lower demands on the CPU and PSU. When you attempt to run
    at the default for your CPU and RAM you generate more heat on your CPU and
    make greater demands on the PSU.

    Jef
    Bird Janitor®, Mar 28, 2007

  3. Dale

    Dale Guest

    Jef,

    System specs:
    PS - XION 450 (came with the case)
    3.3=20A 5=45A 12V1=16A Measure V's 12=11.88 5=5.09
    MB Abit AV8
    CPU Athlon 64-4000+
    MEM Corsair XMS 3200 - 512MB
    PNY GeForce 5700 LE - 128MB
    WD - 200MB SATA X2
    Samsung writemaster DVDRW
    generic floppy

    FSB & Memory - 200MHz & By SPD
    Voltages - default

    Mguru temps CPU=31 SYS=26 PWM=31
    I did notice in Mguru Voltages that NB varies 1.52-1.56 (other voltages
    steady) while in setup

    I also tried an Antec true power 550W (4 years old) - it will not run this
    MB/CPU combo at all: on power up, cpu fan begins to turn & system
    immediately shuts down (< 1 sec).

    Your thinking it's probably a PS problem? I can pick up another PS & try
    that - I'll post back results.

    Thank you,
    Dale

    "Bird Janitor®" <> wrote in
    message news:AowOh.12016$...

    Dale, Mar 29, 2007
  4. Dale wrote:

    | Jef,
    |
    | System specs:
    | PS - XION 450 (came with the case)
    | 3.3=20A 5=45A 12V1=16A Measure V's 12=11.88 5=5.09
    | MB Abit AV8
    | CPU Athlon 64-4000+
    | MEM Corsair XMS 3200 - 512MB
    | PNY GeForce 5700 LE - 128MB
    | WD - 200MB SATA X2
    | Samsung writemaster DVDRW
    | generic floppy
    |
    | FSB & Memory - 200MHz & By SPD
    | Voltages - default
    |
    | Mguru temps CPU=31 SYS=26 PWM=31
    | I did notice in Mguru Voltages that NB varies 1.52-1.56 (other
    | voltages steady) while in setup
    |
    | I also tried an Antec true power 550W (4 years old) - it will not
    | run this MB/CPU combo at all: on power up, cpu fan begins to
    | turn & system immediately shuts down (< 1 sec).
    |
    | Your thinking it's probably a PS problem? I can pick up another
    | PS & try that - I'll post back results.
    |
    | Thank you,
    | Dale

    Hi Dale -

    Your temps are indicative that you're not overheating. That would leave the
    high-low siren explained by out of specification voltages (your ability to
    start at Failsafe kind of lends support to this as well).

    Came with the case power supplies are generally of very inferior quality ..
    best suited for holding the door open .. and Antec has for a few years been
    suspect with regard to quality (were once one of the leaders and now ..
    not).

    You might try bumping the CPU voltage up .1v in the setup to see if that
    helps you achieve a stable-running system. Might want to do the same with
    the RAM voltage. Otherwise, I'd go the route of a replacement PSU, seeking
    out a brand name model perhaps in the range of 500w (save for Antec these
    days). Keep the receipt and return if it doesn't pan out.

    Jef
    Bird Janitor®, Mar 29, 2007
  5. Dale

    Dale Guest

    Jef,

    Good call, thank you! I replaced the PS with a CompUSA (yeah, I know -
    store going out of business, that's all they had!) 500W & got the system to
    boot. However, this generic PS has no SATA connectors. I tried PATA > SATA
    connector & the drives wouldn't spin up (they use the 3.3v for
    omething?) - ARG!!!! As much as I didn't want to, I picked up an Antec
    430 - 5=20A 3.3=20A 12V1=19A 12V2=19A. The system boots OK with this PS &
    the SATA drives spun up. Progress.

    Now however, it doesn't seem to recognize the SATA drives. They are Caviar
    200 SE (WD200JS - 300MB/s). (?? should I jumper them as 150MB/s devices ??)
    I'm using the WD supplied data cables instead of the AV8 cables (?? make any
    difference ??). I tried both SATA ROM enable & disabled, I tried Boot
    device SATA RAID & other PCI device. During post, only the IDE DVD drive
    shows. ?? shouldn't the disks show up somewhere during the post screen ??
    Booting into DOS, Fdisk says no HD present, as does the WD data-guard
    utility.

    I feel like I'm missing something very basic here. This is the first time
    I've used SATA drives (been sticking to IDE & SCSI for other systems) & am
    feeling very dense about this.

    What I'd like to do: configure the 2 drives as RAID 0 array & have that be
    the boot device.

    Thoughts? Suggestion? Links to web pages / documentation that would help me
    feel less stupid? Any / all appreciated!

    TIA,
    Dale

    "Bird Janitor®" <> wrote in
    message news:HEWOh.10247$...

    Dale, Mar 30, 2007
  6. Dale

    Dale Guest

    Jef,

    Again, thank you for all your help!

    I did figure it out - SATA drives needed to be configured as 150MB/s
    devices - setup was then straight forward.

    Best regards,
    Dale

    Dale, Mar 30, 2007
  7. Dale wrote:

    | Jef,
    |
    | Again, thank you for all your help!
    |
    | I did figure it out - SATA drives needed to be configured as
    | 150MB/s devices - setup was then straight forward.
    |
    | Best regards,
    | Dale

    Coolness! Glad I was able to help where I could.

    Jef
    Bird Janitor®, Mar 30, 2007
  8. Dale

    Eric Parker Guest

    "Bird Janitor®" <> wrote
    in message news:HEWOh.10247$...
    <snip>

    > Came with the case power supplies are generally of very inferior
    > quality ..
    > best suited for holding the door open .. and Antec has for a few
    > years been
    > suspect with regard to quality (were once one of the leaders and now
    > ..
    > not).

    Jef

    I'm interested about your experiences with Antec PSU supplied with
    cases.
    18 months ago I built 4 machines with Antec TX640B cases, which
    included
    400 watt PSUs.
    3 out 4 of these have blown the PSU and taken the motherboards + disks
    with
    them. The fourth had its PSU replaced as a safety measure.
    This is too much of a coincidence.
    I have complained to Antec asking for their opinion on this.
    The silence is deafening.

    I thought when I bought the Antec cases I had bought quality.
    Alas no.

    Eric

    --
    Remove the dross to contact me directly
    Eric Parker, Apr 1, 2007
  9. Eric Parker wrote:

    | Jef
    |
    | I'm interested about your experiences with Antec PSU supplied
    | with cases. 18 months ago I built 4 machines with Antec TX640B
    | cases, which included 400 watt PSUs. 3 out 4 of these have
    | blown the PSU and taken the motherboards + disks with them.
    | The fourth had its PSU replaced as a safety measure. This is
    | too much of a coincidence. I have complained to Antec asking
    | for their opinion on this. The silence is deafening.
    |
    | I thought when I bought the Antec cases I had bought quality.
    | Alas no.
    |
    | Eric

    Hi Eric -

    Unfortunately yours is about the same experience as mine .. with both PSUs
    supplied with the case and as stand-alone units.

    If you browse around at the Abit forum (http://forum.abit-usa.com) you'll
    find that the experience has pretty much been universal the last few years.

    I'm not aware of the reasons that Antec has fallen from their once quality
    build, but my own experience and those of many others seems to indicate that
    they've fallen and cannot get up.

    Jef
    Bird Janitor®, Apr 1, 2007
  10. Dale

    vojin

    Joined:
    Mar 13, 2010
    Messages:
    2
    ABIT AV8: two-tone siren, Code 90 - SOLUTION

    The two-tone siren, code 90 can also be caused by you recently changed memory configuration. ABIT should tell people about that, to save grief checking power-supply, temperature etc. .. that has nothing to do with the problem.
    Solution: simply reset (clear) your CMOS
    vojin, Mar 13, 2010