AV8 error codes

Discussion in 'Abit' started by Hill, Jul 20, 2006.

  1. Hill

    Hill Guest

    Can anyone offer any help with my possibly dead AV8 board?

    When I first turn the PSU on the POST code display shows a 3, closely
    followed by a 0.2.

    When I short the PWR terminals, the CPU fan spins up, and the POST code
    display shows 8.3, then 9.C, followed by a momentary 9.E and finally a 9.F,
    and the CPU fan powers down.

    I've tried it on the bench, in a case, with and without drives attached,
    memory in this slot, memory in another, you name I think I'll have tried it.
    I'm running out of things to fiddle with!

    Can anyone decode the codes? None of them are in the helpfully supplied
    appendix of POST codes in the manual. (See, I must be desperate - I RTFM!)

    Any suggestions appreciated, useful ones even more so.

    DroG

    Hill, Jul 20, 2006

  2. Hill

    straiton Guest

    try posting here maybe,
    http://forum.abit-usa.com/forumdisplay.php?f=73
    here's a list of codes i got a while back
    Dunno about your prob.Power supply specs?Try another stick of ram?
    Good luck
    --

    SteveH
    Abit AV8 Third Eye v1.1, A64 3200+ at 2430(9x270),1.575V CPU

    cf - test cmos r/w functionality
    co - early chipset initialization:
    -disable shadow ram
    -disable l2 cache socket 7 and down
    -program basic chipset registers
    c1 - detect memory
    -auto detection of DRAM size , type , ecc
    -auto detection of cache(socket 7 and down)
    c3 - expand compressed BIOS code to DRAM
    c5 - call chipset hook to copy BIOS back to E000 and F000 shadow RAM
    01 - expand the Xgroup codes locating in physical address 1000:0
    03 - initial Superio_early_Init switch
    05 - 1. Blank out screen
    2. clear CMOS error flag
    07 - 1.clear 8042 interface
    2.initialize 8042 self-test
    08 - 1.test special keyboard controller for winbond 977 series Super I/O
    chips
    2.enable keyboard interface
    0A - 1.disable ps/2 mouse interface (optional)
    2.auto detect ports for keyboard and mouse followed by a port and
    interface swap (optional)
    3.reset keyboard for winbond 977 series Super I/O chips
    0E - test F000h segment shadow to see whether it is R/W-able or not. if test
    fails, keep beeping the speaker
    10 - auto detect flash type to load appropriate flash R/W codes into the
    runtime area in F000 for ESCD & DMI support
    12 - Use walking 1's algorithm to check out interface in CMOS circuitry.
    Also set realtime clock power status , and then check for override
    14 - program chipset default values into chipset. Chipset default values are
    MODBINable by OEM customers
    16 - initial onboard clock generator if Early_Init_Onboard_Generator is
    defined. see also post 26
    18 - detect cpu information including brand, SMI type(cyrix or intel) and
    cpu level(586 or 686)
    1B - initial interrupts vector table. if no special specified, all H/W
    interrupts are directed to SPURIOUS_soft_HDLR
    1D - initial EARLY_PM_INIT switch
    1F - load keyboard matrix (notebook platform)
    21 - HPM initialization (notebook platform )
    23 - 1.check validity of RTC value
    2.load CMOS setting into BIOS stack . if CMOS checksum fails use
    default value instead
    24 - prepare bios resource map for pci and pnp use.
    25 - early pci initialization:
    -enumerat pci bus number
    -assign memory and I/O resource
    -search for a valid vga device and vga bios , and put it into
    C000:0
    26 - 1.if early INIT_ONBOARD_GENERATOR is not defined onboard clock
    generator initialization.Disable respective clock resource to empty pci and
    dimm slots
    2.init onboard PWM
    3.init onboard H/W monitor devices
    27 - initialize INT 09 buffer
    29 - 1.program cpu internal MTRR(p6 and pII) for 0-640k memory address
    2.initialize the APIC for pentium class cpu
    3.program early chipset according to cmos setup
    4.measure cpu speed
    2B - invoke video bios
    2D - 1.initialize double-byte language font(optional)
    2.put information on screen display, including award title, cpu type ,
    cpu speed , full screen logo
    33 - reset keyboard if Early_Reset_KB is defined
    35 - test DMA channel 0
    37 - test DMA channel 1
    39 - test DMA page registers
    3C - test 8254
    3E - test 8259 interrupt masked bits for channel 1
    40 - test 8259 interrupt masked bits for channel 2
    43 - test 8259 functionality
    47 - initialize eisa slot
    49 - 1.calculate total memory by testing the last double word of each 64k
    page
    2.program writes allocation for amd k5 cpu
    4E - 1.program MTRR of M1 cpu
    2.initialize l2 cache for p6 class cpu & program cpu with proper
    cacheable range
    3.initialize the APIC for p6 class cpu
    4.on mp platform adjust the cacheable range to smaller one in case the
    cacheable ranges between the cpus are not identical
    50 - initialize USB
    52 - test all memory (clear all extended memory to 0)
    53 - clear password according to H/W jumper (optional)
    55 - display number of processors (multi processor platform)
    57 - disply PnP logo
    early ISA PnP initialization
    - assign CSN to every ISA PNP device
    59 - initialize the combined Trend Anti-virus code
    5B - (optional feature)show message for entering AWDFLASDH.EXE from FDD
    (optional)
    5D - 1. initialize Init_onboard_Super_IO
    2. initialize Init_Onboard_AUDIO
    60 - okay to enter setup utility
    63 - reset keyboard if Early_reset_KB is not defined
    65 - initialize PS/2 mouse
    67 - prepare memory size information for function call :INT 15h ax=E820H
    69 - turn on L2 cache
    6B - program chipset registers according to items described in setup &
    auto-configuration table
    6D - 1.assign resources to all PnP devices
    2.auto assign ports to onboard COM if the corresponding item in setup
    is set to"auto"
    6F - 1.initialize floppy controller
    2.set up floppy related fields in 40:hardware
    75 - detect and install co-processor
    76 - (optional feature) enter AWDFLASH.EXE if ;
    -AWDFLASH.EXE is found in floppy drive
    -ALT+F2 is pressed
    77 - detect serial ports & parallel ports
    7A - detect and install co-processor
    7C - init HDD write protect
    7F - switch back to text mode if full screen logo is supported
    -if error occurs report errors and wait for keys
    -if no errors occur or F1 key is pressed to continue:clear epa or
    custimization logog
    82 - 1.call chipset powermanagment hooks
    2.recover the text font used by EPA logo(not full screen logo)
    3.if password is set , ask for password
    83 - save all data in stack back to cmos
    84 - initialize ISA PnP boot devices
    85 - 1.usb final initialization
    2.switch screen back to text mode
    87 - NET PC:build SYSID structure
    89 - 1.assign IRQ's to PCI devices
    2.set up ACPI table at top of memory
    8B - 1.invoke all ISAadapter ROM's
    2.invoke all PCI ROM's except VGA
    8D - 1.enable/disable parity check according to CMOS setup
    2.APM initialization
    8F - clear noise of IRQ's
    93 - read HDD boot sector information for Tren Anti-virus code
    94 - 1.enable L2 cache
    2.program daylight savings time
    3.program boot up speed
    4.chipset final initialization
    5.power management final initialization
    6.clear screen and disable summary table
    7.program K6 write allocation
    8.program P6 class write combining
    95 - update keyboard LED & typematic rate
    96 - 1.build MP table
    2.build and upate ESCD
    3.set CMOS century to 20h or 19h
    4.load CMOS time into DOS timer clock
    5.build MSIRQ routing table
    FF - boot attempt (INT19h)

    And more:
    8.1. - start power on sequence
    8.2. - enable atx power supply
    8.3. - atx power supply ready
    8.4. - DDR voltage ready
    8.5. - setup PWM for CPU core voltage
    8.6. - assert PWM for CPU core voltage
    8.7. - check CPU core voltage
    8.8. - CPU core voltage ready
    8.9. - initial clock generator IC
    8.A. - north bridge chipset voltage ready
    8.B. - AGP voltage ready
    8.C. - 3VDUAL voltage ready
    8.D. - VDDA 2.5V voltage ready
    8.D. - GMCHVTT voltage ready
    8.E. - check CPU fan speed
    8.F. - assert all power ready
    9.0. - complete Uguru initial process
    Award bios taking over booting job
    9.1. - start power off sequence
    9.2. - De-Assert all power
    9.3. - Se-Assert power on
    9.4. - De-Assert LDT bus power
    9.5. - De-Assert PWM for CPU core voltage
    9.6. - De-Assert CPU core voltage
    9.7. - check CPU core voltage
    9.8. - De-Assert ATX power supply
    9.9. - complete power off sequence
    F.0. - button reset
    F.1. - SoftMenu reset
    F.2. - power on sequence timeout
    F.3. - power off sequence timeout

    straiton, Jul 24, 2006

  3. Hill

    Bacon_Sarnie Guest

    "Hill" <> wrote in message
    > Can anyone offer any help with my possibly dead AV8 board?
    >
    > When I first turn the PSU on the POST code display shows a 3, closely
    > followed by a 0.2.
    >
    > When I short the PWR terminals, the CPU fan spins up, and the POST code
    > display shows 8.3, then 9.C, followed by a momentary 9.E and finally a
    > 9.F,
    > and the CPU fan powers down.
    >
    > I've tried it on the bench, in a case, with and without drives attached,
    > memory in this slot, memory in another, you name I think I'll have tried
    > it.
    > I'm running out of things to fiddle with!
    >
    > Can anyone decode the codes? None of them are in the helpfully supplied
    > appendix of POST codes in the manual. (See, I must be desperate - I
    > RTFM!)
    >
    > Any suggestions appreciated, useful ones even more so.
    >
    > DroG

    Would love to say yes I know, but Ive also seen error codes not listed in
    the manual, somewhat troubling....

    Bacon_Sarnie, Jul 24, 2006
  4. Hill

    Hill Guest

    ,
> [...]

    > 8.1. - start power on sequence
    > 8.2. - enable atx power supply
    > 8.3. - atx power supply ready
    > 8.4. - DDR voltage ready
    > 8.5. - setup PWM for CPU core voltage
    > 8.6. - assert PWM for CPU core voltage
    > 8.7. - check CPU core voltage
    > 8.8. - CPU core voltage ready
    > 8.9. - initial clock generator IC
    > 8.A. - north bridge chipset voltage ready
    > 8.B. - AGP voltage ready
    > 8.C. - 3VDUAL voltage ready
    > 8.D. - VDDA 2.5V voltage ready
    > 8.D. - GMCHVTT voltage ready
    > 8.E. - check CPU fan speed
    > 8.F. - assert all power ready
    > 9.0. - complete Uguru initial process
    > Award bios taking over booting job
    > 9.1. - start power off sequence
    > 9.2. - De-Assert all power
    > 9.3. - Se-Assert power on
    > 9.4. - De-Assert LDT bus power
    > 9.5. - De-Assert PWM for CPU core voltage

    Thanks for the above, but I notice the codes I'm getting are conspiuously
    absent. I've pretty much given up on the damn thing, (which is a shame as
    it was a fine board when it worked), and have ordered an Asrock 939
    Dual-SATA (and returned it for replacement as it refused to post), which has
    a degree of future-proofing built-in.

    Thanks again.

    DroG

    Hill, Jul 29, 2006