AX6BC squealing

Discussion in 'AOpen' started by Matt K, Jul 12, 2003.

  1. Matt K

    Matt K Guest

    I bought a used AX6BC motherboard and it's making a high-pitched noise. The
    noise seems to be coming from behind the CPU or possibly right in front of
    it. It happens whether I have a Celeron 500 or a 600 overclocked to 900 in
    it. The noise is different depending on which cpu is in it and what it's
    doing. Neither CPU creates a noise when it's idle. The C500 has a sort of
    pulsing noise when running Prime95 and a more steady tone when doing other
    stuff. The C600@900 makes no noise when running Prime95 but makes a steady
    tone just like the 500 when doing other stuff. It's not a coppermine
    approved lot and I was wondering if it might have been damaged from running
    a Celeron 600@900 in it. I've never heard of a motherboard making noises
    before.

    I have a couple of wav's of the noise but I don't know what the policy on
    posting binaries is for this group. If someone tells me whether it's ok or
    not I'll post them. Rar'ed they're about 350k.

    1. Advertising

  2. MattK

    MattK Guest

    "Dwood" <> wrote in

    > reinstall the cpu properly or youll burn it!!

    There is nothing wrong with how the cpu is installed.

    > "Matt K" <> wrote in message
    >> I bought a used AX6BC motherboard and it's making a high-pitched
    >> noise.

    > The
    >> noise seems to be coming from behind the CPU or possibly right in
    >> front of it. It happens whether I have a Celeron 500 or a 600
    >> overclocked to 900

    > in
    >> it. The noise is different depending on which cpu is in it and what
    >> it's doing. Neither CPU creates a noise when it's idle. The C500
    >> has a sort

    > of
    >> pulsing noise when running Prime95 and a more steady tone when doing
    >> other stuff. The C600@900 makes no noise when running Prime95 but
    >> makes a

    > steady
    >> tone just like the 500 when doing other stuff. It's not a coppermine
    >> approved lot and I was wondering if it might have been damaged from

    > running
    >> a Celeron 600@900 in it. I've never heard of a motherboard making
    >> noises before.
    >>
    >> I have a couple of wav's of the noise but I don't know what the
    >> policy on posting binaries is for this group. If someone tells me
    >> whether it's ok

    > or
    >> not I'll post them. Rar'ed they're about 350k.

    1. Advertising

  3. Skier

    Skier Guest

    Capacitors in camera flashes make a squealing noise when charging. I expect
    it is from one of the larger Capacitors that are found around the CPU. Not
    100% sure, but I know that capacitors can squeal.

    Tom

    "MattK" <> wrote in message
    > "Dwood" <> wrote in
    >
    > > reinstall the cpu properly or youll burn it!!
    > >

    > There is nothing wrong with how the cpu is installed.
    >

    > > "Matt K" <> wrote in message
    > >> I bought a used AX6BC motherboard and it's making a high-pitched
    > >> noise.

    > > The
    > >> noise seems to be coming from behind the CPU or possibly right in
    > >> front of it. It happens whether I have a Celeron 500 or a 600
    > >> overclocked to 900

    > > in
    > >> it. The noise is different depending on which cpu is in it and what
    > >> it's doing. Neither CPU creates a noise when it's idle. The C500
    > >> has a sort

    > > of
    > >> pulsing noise when running Prime95 and a more steady tone when doing
    > >> other stuff. The C600@900 makes no noise when running Prime95 but
    > >> makes a

    > > steady
    > >> tone just like the 500 when doing other stuff. It's not a coppermine
    > >> approved lot and I was wondering if it might have been damaged from

    > > running
    > >> a Celeron 600@900 in it. I've never heard of a motherboard making
    > >> noises before.
    > >>
    > >> I have a couple of wav's of the noise but I don't know what the
    > >> policy on posting binaries is for this group. If someone tells me
    > >> whether it's ok

    > > or
    > >> not I'll post them. Rar'ed they're about 350k.

  4. Greg

    Greg Guest

    Just a guess but the power regulators onboard the motherboard are a switch
    mode style and I suspect what you are hearing are the wire wound inductor
    cores whining when they are being loaded up by the cpu. Overclocking would
    probably make the noise worse as the cpu would load the power supply even
    more.

    Gp

    "Matt K" <> wrote in message
    > I bought a used AX6BC motherboard and it's making a high-pitched noise.

    The
    > noise seems to be coming from behind the CPU or possibly right in front of
    > it. It happens whether I have a Celeron 500 or a 600 overclocked to 900

    in
    > it. The noise is different depending on which cpu is in it and what it's
    > doing. Neither CPU creates a noise when it's idle. The C500 has a sort

    of
    > pulsing noise when running Prime95 and a more steady tone when doing other
    > stuff. The C600@900 makes no noise when running Prime95 but makes a

    steady
    > tone just like the 500 when doing other stuff. It's not a coppermine
    > approved lot and I was wondering if it might have been damaged from

    running
    > a Celeron 600@900 in it. I've never heard of a motherboard making noises
    > before.
    >
    > I have a couple of wav's of the noise but I don't know what the policy on
    > posting binaries is for this group. If someone tells me whether it's ok

    or
    > not I'll post them. Rar'ed they're about 350k.

  5. tester

    tester Guest

    test

    "Greg" <> wrote:

    >Just a guess but the power regulators onboard the motherboard are a switch
    >mode style and I suspect what you are hearing are the wire wound inductor
    >cores whining when they are being loaded up by the cpu. Overclocking would
    >probably make the noise worse as the cpu would load the power supply even
    >more.
    >
    >Gp
    >
    >"Matt K" <> wrote in message
    >> I bought a used AX6BC motherboard and it's making a high-pitched noise.

    >The
    >> noise seems to be coming from behind the CPU or possibly right in front of
    >> it. It happens whether I have a Celeron 500 or a 600 overclocked to 900

    >in
    >> it. The noise is different depending on which cpu is in it and what it's
    >> doing. Neither CPU creates a noise when it's idle. The C500 has a sort

    >of
    >> pulsing noise when running Prime95 and a more steady tone when doing other
    >> stuff. The C600@900 makes no noise when running Prime95 but makes a

    >steady
    >> tone just like the 500 when doing other stuff. It's not a coppermine
    >> approved lot and I was wondering if it might have been damaged from

    >running
    >> a Celeron 600@900 in it. I've never heard of a motherboard making noises
    >> before.
    >>
    >> I have a couple of wav's of the noise but I don't know what the policy on
    >> posting binaries is for this group. If someone tells me whether it's ok

    >or
    >> not I'll post them. Rar'ed they're about 350k.

    e-mail: