bad clusters/sectors on new laptop, chkdsk gets stuck trying to repair

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by techman41973@yahoo.com, Jul 31, 2007.

  1. Guest

    I recently bought a new HP laptop with an extended warrantee.
    In the past few weeks, often I would get the blue screen of death and
    the system will just spontaneously crash and then I have to reboot. I
    ran chkdsk and it says there are errors on the drive (no specifics).
    It then tells me it couldn't repair the problems because the drive was
    locked by other processes. I then entered in the command prompt
    chkdsk /F/R and answered Yes for to authorize CHKDSK to run on reboot.
    When CHKDSK runs on reboot everything is fine until stage 4/5 where I
    get a ton of error messages, all the same
    "the disk does not have enough space to replace bad clusters"
    I then went into windows and noticed I have only 26GB filled with 74GB
    free on a 100GB hard drive. There are no other partitions. So I don't
    understand why I am getting this error.
    I wonder if there is something seriously wrong with the hard disk
    drive.
    I want to avoid sending it in to HP as I don't want to be without a
    laptop for a few weeks.
    Is there anything I can do to fix this problem or diagnose it further.
    Thanks

    , Jul 31, 2007

  2. Val Guest

    Sounds like the drive is bad. Get it replaced.

    "the disk does not have enough space to replace bad clusters" has nothing
    to do with the amount of free space you see available. Drives are made with
    the expectation that some sectors will be/will become bad, and extra space
    is available on the drive to map those sectors to when they go. When you
    run out of the extra space, you lose disk capacity.

    I haven't dealt with HP for a repair issue in a long time - perhaps they can
    send you and exchange drive rather than your having to return the whole
    laptop. Swapping out drives is a pretty easy, user-doable task.

    Val

    Val, Jul 31, 2007

  3. wrote in news::

    > I recently bought a new HP laptop with an extended warrantee.
    > In the past few weeks, often I would get the blue screen of death and
    > the system will just spontaneously crash and then I have to reboot. I
    > ran chkdsk and it says there are errors on the drive (no specifics).
    > It then tells me it couldn't repair the problems because the drive was
    > locked by other processes. I then entered in the command prompt
    > chkdsk /F/R and answered Yes for to authorize CHKDSK to run on reboot.
    > When CHKDSK runs on reboot everything is fine until stage 4/5 where I
    > get a ton of error messages, all the same
    > "the disk does not have enough space to replace bad clusters"
    > I then went into windows and noticed I have only 26GB filled with 74GB
    > free on a 100GB hard drive. There are no other partitions. So I don't
    > understand why I am getting this error.
    > I wonder if there is something seriously wrong with the hard disk
    > drive.
    > I want to avoid sending it in to HP as I don't want to be without a
    > laptop for a few weeks.
    > Is there anything I can do to fix this problem or diagnose it further.
    > Thanks

    You can call HP and ask them to send you a replacement drive under
    warranty and then replace the unit yourself. The only downside is that
    HP would require the old drive. I would download and run either DFT or
    Seatools Desktop and write down the the error code that you receive from
    either utility. HP is going to want some sort of proof that the drive
    is bad.

    In the event that HP denies your request to send a replacement drive, I
    would find a local computer repair facility that will honor MFG Warranty
    and replace the drive for you at no cost. Not sure how you feel about
    them, but GeekSquad can perform warranty work on HP units in the store
    should they have a direct replacement drive in stock, and you would not
    get charged. They must also give you your old drive back, and you can
    typically wait around for 10 minutes and insist that they replace the
    drive for you right in your sight. I believe their only requirement is
    that you must possess a receipt of purchase for the unit to verify
    correct warrenty date.

    You can use a linux live disc with ntfs-3g built in to access the data
    on the bad drive and copy it off to an external. I personally like slax
    with the ntfs-3g module installed.

    DFT..: http://www.hitachigst.com/hdd/support/download.htm#DFT
    Seatools Desktop..: http://preview.tinyurl.com/yww3ek

    --
    Ds.Laptop.Repair at gmail dot com
    [{540}·{905}·{7686}]

    ds.laptop.repair, Jul 31, 2007
  4. M.I.5¾ Guest

    <> wrote in message
    >I recently bought a new HP laptop with an extended warrantee.
    > In the past few weeks, often I would get the blue screen of death and
    > the system will just spontaneously crash and then I have to reboot. I
    > ran chkdsk and it says there are errors on the drive (no specifics).
    > It then tells me it couldn't repair the problems because the drive was
    > locked by other processes. I then entered in the command prompt
    > chkdsk /F/R and answered Yes for to authorize CHKDSK to run on reboot.
    > When CHKDSK runs on reboot everything is fine until stage 4/5 where I
    > get a ton of error messages, all the same
    > "the disk does not have enough space to replace bad clusters"
    > I then went into windows and noticed I have only 26GB filled with 74GB
    > free on a 100GB hard drive. There are no other partitions. So I don't
    > understand why I am getting this error.
    > I wonder if there is something seriously wrong with the hard disk
    > drive.
    > I want to avoid sending it in to HP as I don't want to be without a
    > laptop for a few weeks.
    > Is there anything I can do to fix this problem or diagnose it further.
    > Thanks

    The disk has had it.

    The type of disks fitted to PCs theses days have a number of spare clusters
    on them that are not normally used. When the disk firmware detects a
    cluster that is less than reliable, it copies the cluster to one of the
    spares; marks the original as bad and then remaps its intenal cluster table
    to point to the new one (this is somewhat simplified, but nevertheless is
    essentially what happens). Eventually, it uses up the supply of spare
    clusters and can't go any further. That's when you start getting the error
    messages that you are getting.

    Unfortunately, you are going to have to return the thing to HP to get the
    disk changed, but make sure that you copy off any files that you don't want
    to lose first.

    M.I.5¾, Jul 31, 2007
  5. "M.I.5¾" <_SPAM.co.uk> wrote in message news:46aed798$
    > <> wrote in message
    > > I recently bought a new HP laptop with an extended warrantee.
    > > In the past few weeks, often I would get the blue screen of death and
    > > the system will just spontaneously crash and then I have to reboot. I
    > > ran chkdsk and it says there are errors on the drive (no specifics).
    > > It then tells me it couldn't repair the problems because the drive was
    > > locked by other processes. I then entered in the command prompt
    > > chkdsk /F/R and answered Yes for to authorize CHKDSK to run on reboot.
    > > When CHKDSK runs on reboot everything is fine until stage 4/5 where I
    > > get a ton of error messages, all the same:
    > > "the disk does not have enough space to replace bad clusters"
    > > I then went into windows and noticed I have only 26GB filled with 74GB
    > > free on a 100GB hard drive. There are no other partitions. So I don't
    > > understand why I am getting this error.
    > > I wonder if there is something seriously wrong with the hard disk drive.
    > > I want to avoid sending it in to HP as I don't want to be without a laptop
    > > for a few weeks.
    > > Is there anything I can do to fix this problem or diagnose it further.
    > > Thanks
    > >

    > The disk has had it.

    Nice try, Bozo.

    > The type of disks fitted to PCs theses days have a number of spare clusters
    > on them that are not normally used. When the disk firmware detects a
    > cluster that is less than reliable, it copies the cluster to one of the
    > spares; marks the original as bad and then remaps its intenal cluster table
    > to point to the new one

    Nonsense.

    > (this is somewhat simplified, but nevertheless is essentially what happens).

    Pity the drive doesn't have clusters, Bozo, it has sectors. Clusters are a
    filesystem storage unit which the drive knows nothing about. Like the OP
    described the OS is trying to find free clusters to copy data to that it
    thinks to save from badly readable used clusters, but it can't find any.
    Whether that last part is true is under debate. It may be one of those
    unexplainable chkdsk quirks.

    > Eventually, it uses up the supply of spare clusters and can't go any further.
    > That's when you start getting the error messages that you are getting.

    Utter nonsense.

    > Unfortunately, you are going to have to return the thing to HP to get the
    > disk changed, but make sure that you copy off any files that you don't want
    > to lose first.

    What he needs to do is run the drive diagnostics from the drive manufacturer.

    Folkert Rienstra, Jul 31, 2007
  6. Tazz Guest

    On Jul 31, 1:40 am, wrote:
    > I recently bought a new HP laptop with an extended warrantee.
    > In the past few weeks, often I would get the blue screen of death and
    > the system will just spontaneously crash and then I have to reboot. I
    > ran chkdsk and it says there are errors on the drive (no specifics).
    > It then tells me it couldn't repair the problems because the drive was
    > locked by other processes. I then entered in the command prompt
    > chkdsk /F/R and answered Yes for to authorize CHKDSK to run on reboot.
    > When CHKDSK runs on reboot everything is fine until stage 4/5 where I
    > get a ton of error messages, all the same
    > "the disk does not have enough space to replace bad clusters"
    > I then went into windows and noticed I have only 26GB filled with 74GB
    > free on a 100GB hard drive. There are no other partitions. So I don't
    > understand why I am getting this error.
    > I wonder if there is something seriously wrong with the hard disk
    > drive.
    > I want to avoid sending it in to HP as I don't want to be without a
    > laptop for a few weeks.
    > Is there anything I can do to fix this problem or diagnose it further.
    > Thanks

    You can buy ($89.00 US) and download Spinrite (http://www.grc.com/
    spinrite.htm) to scan the drive. It will scan for bad sectors and if/
    when it finds one it will try to recover the data in it.

    In one of the user testimonials I read a while back a user said that
    he scanned his drive and it found bad spots, so he called the laptop
    manufacturer and told them what Spinrite had reported and the
    manufacturer sent out a replacement drive; no questions.

    They also have a moneyback plan, although I don't think it's stated on
    the webpage, that says if Spinrite doesn't help you out they'll refund
    your money if you delete the program.

    Steve Gibson (the author of Spinrite) does a podcast on security
    issues in the computing world (http://www.grc.com/securitynow.htm) and
    at the beginning or near the end of most podcasts he reads user
    feedback on Spinrite.

    Have a look and a listen, maybe It'll work for you.

    Tazz, Jul 31, 2007
  7. Re: bad clusters/sectors on new laptop, chkdsk gets stuck tryingto repair

    I could explain why you are getting the error, but it's a long
    explanation that I don't feel like typing. [The short version is that
    you are out of a type of reserved space that only exists within the
    drive .... it's not visible from outside the drive, and is neither part
    of your used OR your free space.]

    Bottom line: your drive has died (some would argue that it's just
    "dying" and isn't yet dead. Whatever).

    You need a new hard drive. There is no way to avoid it.

    Barry Watzman, Jul 31, 2007
  8. Re: bad clusters/sectors on new laptop, chkdsk gets stuck tryingto repair

    For $89 you can buy a new hard drive. And spinrite, while a very good
    program, is not likely to help in this case.

    Barry Watzman, Jul 31, 2007
  9. kony Guest

    On Tue, 31 Jul 2007 18:37:50 -0000, Tazz
    <> wrote:

    >On Jul 31, 1:40 am, wrote:
    >> I recently bought a new HP laptop with an extended warrantee.
    >> In the past few weeks, often I would get the blue screen of death and
    >> the system will just spontaneously crash and then I have to reboot.

    The blue screen is to provide information. You didn't tell
    us what it stated, like stop code or any related filename
    (if any).

    Also, check Event Viewer.

    >> ran chkdsk and it says there are errors on the drive (no specifics).
    >> It then tells me it couldn't repair the problems because the drive was
    >> locked by other processes. I then entered in the command prompt
    >> chkdsk /F/R and answered Yes for to authorize CHKDSK to run on reboot.
    >> When CHKDSK runs on reboot everything is fine until stage 4/5 where I
    >> get a ton of error messages, all the same
    >> "the disk does not have enough space to replace bad clusters"

    Try running it without fixing or scanning, then if that
    completes, run it again only fixing, then again with
    scanning/recovery.

    >> I then went into windows and noticed I have only 26GB filled with 74GB
    >> free on a 100GB hard drive. There are no other partitions. So I don't
    >> understand why I am getting this error.

    MS' website is a good place to search for specific error
    messages.

    >> I wonder if there is something seriously wrong with the hard disk
    >> drive.

    It's quite possible, maybe even probable.

    >> I want to avoid sending it in to HP as I don't want to be without a
    >> laptop for a few weeks.

    Either way, they're not a data recovery service and you will
    lose anything on the drive when it's replaced unless you
    copy or duplicate it youself (as much as possible given it
    may be failing). You might want to use what opportunities
    you have left to copy data off now, rather than putting more
    wear on the drive, as a failing drive can sometimes act
    funny but then suddenly everything is gone.

    >> Is there anything I can do to fix this problem or diagnose it further.
    >> Thanks

    The standard procedure is to run the HDD manufacturer's
    diagnostics. They're available for download from their
    respective website. If your HDD maker is unknown, it may be
    listed in Device Manager or there's always the physical
    label sticker on the drive itself.

    >You can buy ($89.00 US) and download Spinrite (http://www.grc.com/
    >spinrite.htm) to scan the drive. It will scan for bad sectors and if/
    >when it finds one it will try to recover the data in it.
    >
    >In one of the user testimonials I read a while back a user said that
    >he scanned his drive and it found bad spots, so he called the laptop
    >manufacturer and told them what Spinrite had reported and the
    >manufacturer sent out a replacement drive; no questions.

    It should not require purchase of Spinrite. The OP could
    either use the free HDD manufacturer's diagnostics, or for
    the same ~ $89 or so, just buy a replacement drive now,
    which might be handier anyway since it means both drives are
    available for as much of a duplication or data copying to
    the new drive as possible without an intermediary storage of
    this "data".

    >They also have a moneyback plan, although I don't think it's stated on
    >the webpage, that says if Spinrite doesn't help you out they'll refund
    >your money if you delete the program.

    The problem is, unless there is specific data that needs
    recovered, it won't actually fix the problem that caused the
    drive and/or data loss.

    kony, Jul 31, 2007
  10. Tazz Guest

    On Jul 31, 4:56 pm, Barry Watzman <> wrote:
    > For $89 you can buy a new hard drive. And spinrite, while a very good
    > program, is not likely to help in this case.

    <snip>
    Yea, that would be the best/easiest to do. With no spare sectors he
    definitely would get a new drive if he sent it back, but who wants to
    wait weeks without a their laptop. It took my Acer 7 weeks to get back
    to me; same reason bad HDD.

    The Spinrite suggestion was mainly to recover the data in the bad
    sectors, but with no spares I don't know how that would work. Hmm. I
    think that chkdsk will scan for bad sectors but when it finds one
    it'll just swap it out so that data is gone.

    Tazz, Aug 1, 2007
  11. kony Guest

    On Wed, 01 Aug 2007 00:55:36 -0000, Tazz
    <> wrote:

    >On Jul 31, 4:56 pm, Barry Watzman <> wrote:
    >> For $89 you can buy a new hard drive. And spinrite, while a very good
    >> program, is not likely to help in this case.
    >>

    ><snip>
    >Yea, that would be the best/easiest to do. With no spare sectors he
    >definitely would get a new drive if he sent it back, but who wants to
    >wait weeks without a their laptop. It took my Acer 7 weeks to get back
    >to me; same reason bad HDD.
    >
    >The Spinrite suggestion was mainly to recover the data in the bad
    >sectors, but with no spares I don't know how that would work. Hmm. I
    >think that chkdsk will scan for bad sectors but when it finds one
    >it'll just swap it out so that data is gone.

    Be careful of the term "spare sectors". Chkdsk (and
    Spinrite, AFAIK) do not attempt to write to "spare sectors"
    at all, only to move the data to another available sector.
    It may well be that the drive is out of spare sectors but
    that should not effect either application... though it
    doesn't help them read data lost beyond recovery either.

    kony, Aug 1, 2007
  12. "Folkert Rienstra" <> wrote in message news:46af5882$1$97264$
    > "M.I.5¾" <_SPAM.co.uk> wrote in message news:46aed798$
    > > > wrote in message news:...
    > > > I recently bought a new HP laptop with an extended warrantee.
    > > > In the past few weeks, often I would get the blue screen of death and
    > > > the system will just spontaneously crash and then I have to reboot.
    > > > I ran chkdsk and it says there are errors on the drive (no specifics).
    > > > It then tells me it couldn't repair the problems because the drive was
    > > > locked by other processes. I then entered in the command prompt
    > > > chkdsk /F/R and answered Yes for to authorize CHKDSK to run on reboot.
    > > > When CHKDSK runs on reboot everything is fine until stage 4/5 where
    > > > I get a ton of error messages, all the same:
    > > > "the disk does not have enough space to replace bad clusters"
    > > > I then went into windows and noticed I have only 26GB filled with 74GB
    > > > free on a 100GB hard drive. There are no other partitions. So I don't
    > > > understand why I am getting this error.
    > > > I wonder if there is something seriously wrong with the hard disk drive.
    > > > I want to avoid sending it in to HP as I don't want to be without a laptop
    > > > for a few weeks.
    > > > Is there anything I can do to fix this problem or diagnose it further.
    > > > Thanks
    > > >

    > > The disk has had it.

    > Nice try, Bozo.
    >

    > > The type of disks fitted to PCs theses days have a number of spare clusters
    > > on them that are not normally used. When the disk firmware detects a
    > > cluster that is less than reliable, it copies the cluster to one of the spares;
    > > marks the original as bad and then remaps its intenal cluster table to point
    > > to the new one

    > Nonsense.
    >
    > > (this is somewhat simplified, but nevertheless is essentially what happens).

    > Pity the drive doesn't have clusters, Bozo, it has sectors. Clusters are a
    > filesystem storage unit which the drive knows nothing about. Like the OP
    > described the OS is trying to find free clusters to copy data to that it
    > thinks to save from badly readable used clusters, but it can't find any.
    > Whether that last part is true is under debate. It may be one of those
    > unexplainable chkdsk quirks.
    >
    > > Eventually, it uses up the supply of spare clusters and can't go any further.
    > > That's when you start getting the error messages that you are getting.

    > Utter nonsense.
    >

    > > Unfortunately, you are going to have to return the thing to HP to get the
    > > disk changed, but make sure that you copy off any files that you don't want
    > > to lose first.

    > What he needs to do is run the drive diagnostics from the drive manufacturer.

    And a S.M.A.R.T. report would be nice.
    If the drive 'has had it' then it will show there in massive numbers
    for "Reallocated sector count" and "Current Pending Sector Count"

    Folkert Rienstra, Aug 1, 2007
  13. "kony" <> wrote in message news:
    > On Wed, 01 Aug 2007 00:55:36 -0000, Tazz <> wrote:
    > > On Jul 31, 4:56 pm, Barry Watzman <> wrote:
    > > > For $89 you can buy a new hard drive. And spinrite, while a very good
    > > > program, is not likely to help in this case.
    > > >

    > > <snip>
    > > Yea, that would be the best/easiest to do.

    > > With no spare sectors he definitely would get a new drive if he sent it back,

    There is likely nothing severely wrong with that drive.

    > > but who wants to wait weeks without a their laptop.
    > > It took my Acer 7 weeks to get back to me; same reason bad HDD.
    > >
    > > The Spinrite suggestion was mainly to recover the data in the bad
    > > sectors, but with no spares I don't know how that would work. Hmm.
    > > I think that chkdsk will scan for bad sectors but when it finds one

    > > it'll just swap it out so that data is gone.

    After which SpinRite will be none the wiser.

    > Be careful of the term "spare sectors". Chkdsk (and Spinrite, AFAIK)
    > do not attempt to write to "spare sectors"

    Like they have anything to say about it.
    It's the drive itself that takes that type of action, depending on whether
    it can recover the data on a read from the bad location or when it get's
    to write to that bad location.

    > at all, only to move the data to another available sector.

    Exactly. Using the filesystem.

    > It may well be that the drive is out of spare sectors.

    Not very likely. It will be days of strugling for that to happen.
    There's literally hundreds of thousands of them and for those to
    get all used-up you must have hundreds of thousands of read errors,
    all taking up several seconds and stall your system for several seconds
    each time. You would be out of hair on your skull if that happened.

    > but that should not effect either application...

    Actually it does, if that were really the case. A drive that is out of spares
    has a problem reading any sector so every sector once read will have been
    marked as a bad sector candidate, so for an App to write to a free cluster
    the drive itself would want to write to spare locations -which it is out of-
    so it throws a write error.

    There is the remote possibility that this is what chkdsk is complaining
    about though the error message would still be incorrect for that.

    Folkert Rienstra, Aug 1, 2007
  14. "Barry Watzman" <> wrote in message news:46af9433$0$4699$
    > For $89 you can buy a new hard drive.

    > And spinrite, while a very good program, is not likely to help in this case.

    Oh, why not, Bozo? You know what's wrong with the drive?
    Did you look at the S.M.A.R.T. data, using your crystal ball?

    > Tazz wrote:

    [snip]

    Folkert Rienstra, Aug 1, 2007
  15. "Barry Watzman" <> wrote in message news:46af9388$0$29692$
    > I could explain why you are getting the error, but it's a long
    > explanation that I don't feel like typing.

    You already have, Bozo. Short memory, have you?

    > [The short version is that you are out of a type of reserved space that
    > only exists within the drive ....

    > it's not visible from outside the drive,

    So obviously the OS doesn't now about it and therefor can't report about it
    either. Yet it does. Anyone with more than a pea brain (Bozos obviously exclu-
    ded) will conclude that the OS is obviously not complaining about that space.

    > and is neither part of your used OR your free space.]

    So it's obvious that the OS isn't complaining about that reserved space.

    > Bottom line: your drive has died (some would argue that it's just
    > "dying" and isn't yet dead. Whatever).

    Whatever.

    > You need a new hard drive. There is no way to avoid it.

    Another Bozo the Clown.
    There must be whole hordes of them in alt.comp.hardware and/or comp.sys.laptops.

    Folkert Rienstra, Aug 1, 2007
  16. M.I.5¾ Guest

    > "Folkert Rienstra" <> wrote in message
    >> "M.I.5¾" <_SPAM.co.uk> wrote in message
    >> > >

    >> > The disk has had it.

    >> Nice try, Bozo.
    >>

    >> > The type of disks fitted to PCs theses days have a number of spare
    >> > clusters
    >> > on them that are not normally used. When the disk firmware detects a
    >> > cluster that is less than reliable, it copies the cluster to one of the
    >> > spares;
    >> > marks the original as bad and then remaps its intenal cluster table to
    >> > point
    >> > to the new one

    >> Nonsense.
    >>
    >> > (this is somewhat simplified, but nevertheless is essentially what
    >> > happens).

    >> Pity the drive doesn't have clusters, Bozo, it has sectors. Clusters are
    >> filesystem storage unit which the drive knows nothing about. Like the OP
    >> described the OS is trying to find free clusters to copy data to that it
    >> thinks to save from badly readable used clusters, but it can't find any.
    >> Whether that last part is true is under debate. It may be one of those
    >> unexplainable chkdsk quirks.
    >>
    >> > Eventually, it uses up the supply of spare clusters and can't go any
    >> > further.
    >> > That's when you start getting the error messages that you are getting.

    >> Utter nonsense.
    >>

    >> > Unfortunately, you are going to have to return the thing to HP to get
    >> > the
    >> > disk changed, but make sure that you copy off any files that you don't
    >> > want
    >> > to lose first.

    >> What he needs to do is run the drive diagnostics from the drive
    >> manufacturer.

    > And a S.M.A.R.T. report would be nice.
    > If the drive 'has had it' then it will show there in massive numbers
    > for "Reallocated sector count" and "Current Pending Sector Count"

    You need to find out a bit more about how disks work. It was a simplified
    explanation, so not entirely accurate, but nevertheless apposite.

    SMART is only of any use if the laptop supports it. Most do now but not
    all.

    M.I.5¾, Aug 1, 2007
  17. M.I.5¾ Guest

    > "kony" <> wrote in message
    >> > >

    >> > <snip>
    >> > Yea, that would be the best/easiest to do.

    >> > With no spare sectors he definitely would get a new drive if he sent it
    >> > back,

    > There is likely nothing severely wrong with that drive.

    So speaks someone who hasn't got a clue.

    Everyone else thinks the drive is shot. This poster alone believes
    otherwise.

    M.I.5¾, Aug 1, 2007
  18. M.I.5¾ Guest

    > "Barry Watzman" <> wrote in message
    >> For $89 you can buy a new hard drive.

    >> And spinrite, while a very good program, is not likely to help in this
    >> case.

    > Oh, why not, Bozo? You know what's wrong with the drive?
    > Did you look at the S.M.A.R.T. data, using your crystal ball?

    You need to work on your intepersonal skills.

    You keep calling everyone 'Bozo' and you ate going to end up in a lot of
    killfiles where you belong.

    Of course, only you are right and everyone else is wrong.

    M.I.5¾, Aug 1, 2007
  19. M.I.5¾ Guest

    >I could explain why you are getting the error, but it's a long explanation
    >that I don't feel like typing. [The short version is that you are out of a
    >type of reserved space that only exists within the drive .... it's not
    >visible from outside the drive, and is neither part of your used OR your
    >free space.]
    >
    > Bottom line: your drive has died (some would argue that it's just "dying"
    > and isn't yet dead. Whatever).
    >
    > You need a new hard drive. There is no way to avoid it.

    Ah but Barry, you are forgetting that one Folkert Rienstra, who is obviously
    the only person in the world who understands these things says that you and
    I and everyone else is wrong.

    M.I.5¾, Aug 1, 2007
  20. M.I.5¾ Guest

    > "Barry Watzman" <> wrote in message
    >> I could explain why you are getting the error, but it's a long
    >> explanation that I don't feel like typing.

    > You already have, Bozo. Short memory, have you?
    >
    >> [The short version is that you are out of a type of reserved space that
    >> only exists within the drive ....

    >> it's not visible from outside the drive,

    > So obviously the OS doesn't now about it and therefor can't report about
    > it
    > either. Yet it does. Anyone with more than a pea brain (Bozos obviously
    > exclu-
    > ded) will conclude that the OS is obviously not complaining about that
    > space.
    >
    >> and is neither part of your used OR your free space.]

    > So it's obvious that the OS isn't complaining about that reserved space.
    >

    >> Bottom line: your drive has died (some would argue that it's just
    >> "dying" and isn't yet dead. Whatever).

    > Whatever.
    >

    >> You need a new hard drive. There is no way to avoid it.

    > Another Bozo the Clown.
    > There must be whole hordes of them in alt.comp.hardware and/or
    > comp.sys.laptops.

    Or it could be that you is wrong and everyone else is right.

    M.I.5¾, Aug 1, 2007