Bad Mobo??

Discussion in 'Intel' started by wisdomkiller & pain, Sep 17, 2008.

  1. Ben C> wrote:

    > I have (had) a Vista Ultimate 32-bit OS running for 9 months on a PC
    > with:
    >
    > Intel DG965WH Mobo
    > Intel E6300 1.86GHz Core 2 Duo CPU
    > EVGA 8600GT/256MB PCI-e 16X
    > 2GB GEil DR2 800 RAM
    > 1-PCI USB Card
    > 1-optical drive (SATA)
    > 2-Hard Drives (IDE)
    > 2-80mm fans
    > 1-120mm fan
    > Thermaltake 430W TR2 PSU 24-pin connector

    > The PC won't resart at all. There is a green light on the motherboard,
    > and the power switch is flashing. When I attempt to start the PC,
    > nothing happens. No fans, no life except flashing power button & mobo
    > light.
    > I tried a new PSU with the same results, I tried the old PSU in
    > another PC, and it worked fine.
    >
    > Can anyone suggest something I might try? I can send back the board,
    > but I'd rather fix it myself, if possible.
    > ---OR---
    > Is there an intel support forum I can go to to try to work this out.
    > The board is still under warranty.

    It may be a ram module gone bad/shorted somewhere. Or anything else.
    You should begin with exclusion tests: remove everything not necessary to
    get at least a beepcode from your mainboard connectors, which means
    harddisks, other peripherals, even the internally usb-connected cardreader,
    last not least all RAM modules and even the graphic card.
    Just let the beeper tell you a life sign when you switch on the mainboard.
    Afterwards, begin reattaching the most essential things first, graphic card
    and one stick of ram. Repeat the tests.
    wisdomkiller & pain, Sep 17, 2008

  2. wisdomkiller & pain

    Tom Lake Guest

    > The PC won't resart at all. There is a green light on the motherboard,
    > and the power switch is flashing. When I attempt to start the PC,
    > nothing happens. No fans, no life except flashing power button & mobo
    > light.
    > I tried a new PSU with the same results, I tried the old PSU in
    > another PC, and it worked fine.
    >
    > Can anyone suggest something I might try? I can send back the board,
    > but I'd rather fix it myself, if possible.

    I have the same model mobo. When I tried to install an nVidia graphics
    card, the same thing happened to me. No beeps, no fans, mobo light on.
    I removed the video card but no change.

    I removed all RAM from the board (with power off, of course!)
    Then I powered up and got some beeps. I then powered off,
    reinstalled the RAM, powered up and it's been working ever since.
    It's worth a shot since it only takes a little time to try it and it's
    free.

    Tom Lake
    Tom Lake, Sep 17, 2008

  3. wisdomkiller & pain

    Tony Guest

    Sounds like a bad update. Your problem is buying cheap no name ram sticks.
    Next time use something like crucial or kingston.

    --
    The Grandmaster of the CyberFROG

    Come get your ticket to CyberFROG city

    No, I just decided not to play your silly game is all. *Some* of us know
    proper manners

    beyond the realm of understandability

    Tony, Sep 17, 2008
  4. wisdomkiller & pain

    Tom Lake Guest

    "Ben C>" <> wrote in message
    > OK, that did it. Now what? Throw out the NVIDIA card? The built-in
    > card is lame at best. Is this an issue with NVIDIA or Intel?
    > -J.

    I don't know who's to blame (I suspect Intel but it doesn't really matter -
    see below)
    I replaced the nVidia with an ATI card and it works fine.

    Tom Lake

    --

    "Whether the stone hits the pitcher or the pitcher hits the stone it's
    going to be bad for the pitcher"

    - My fuzzy memory of Man of LaMancha
    Tom Lake, Sep 18, 2008
  5. wisdomkiller & pain

    Plato Guest

    Ben C> wrote:

    > I have (had) a Vista Ultimate 32-bit OS running for 9 months on a PC

    Which means its NOT the motherboard.

    > Windows update finally offered me SP-1, so I downloaded and installed
    > it. After 2 hours of Windows installing SP-1, I received a dialog box
    > telling me that SP-1 did not install: Windows is reverting. After

    Which means you just clicked and said go:

    You probably already had sp2 on the pc, so you tried to downgrade.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
    Plato, Sep 19, 2008