bad motherboard?

Discussion in 'AMD Thunderbird' started by Stuart Southerland, Jan 25, 2004.

  1. This may be an impossible question to answer (or just a stupid one), but my
    computer, while it generally runs fine, often has trouble booting. It often
    takes an unreasonably long period of time, and sometimes fails to boot at
    all. I've started keeping the side panel off so I can access the bios reset
    easily.

    Is the more likely culprit the processor, memory or motherboard? The reason
    that I mention the processor is that I have *underclocked* my 2400+ to
    2200+, and while the booting issue continues, the occasional blue screen
    crashes have stopped.

    I'd rather not replace all three at the same time...

    Thanks for any thoughts on what to try first

    1. Advertising

  2. 1) There are no stupid questions.
    2) Sounds like the board to me.

    --
    Doug Whitesell
    ALL YOUR NOOBS ARE BELONG TO US

    "Stuart Southerland" <> wrote in message
    > This may be an impossible question to answer (or just a stupid one), but my
    > computer, while it generally runs fine, often has trouble booting. It often
    > takes an unreasonably long period of time, and sometimes fails to boot at
    > all. I've started keeping the side panel off so I can access the bios reset
    > easily.
    >
    > Is the more likely culprit the processor, memory or motherboard? The reason
    > that I mention the processor is that I have *underclocked* my 2400+ to
    > 2200+, and while the booting issue continues, the occasional blue screen
    > crashes have stopped.
    >
    > I'd rather not replace all three at the same time...
    >
    > Thanks for any thoughts on what to try first

    1. Advertising

  3. Blaedmon

    Blaedmon Guest

    sounds like bad ram - if able try and replace it. If still no go, I'd
    suggest a look at yer HD, perhaps reflashing your bios, a hundred other
    things, but mainly I'd check your ram.

    "Doug Whitesell" <> wrote in message
    > 1) There are no stupid questions.
    > 2) Sounds like the board to me.
    >
    > --
    > Doug Whitesell
    > ALL YOUR NOOBS ARE BELONG TO US
    > President, iClick/FCi
    >
    > "Stuart Southerland" <> wrote in message
    > > This may be an impossible question to answer (or just a stupid one), but

    my
    > > computer, while it generally runs fine, often has trouble booting. It

    often
    > > takes an unreasonably long period of time, and sometimes fails to boot

    at
    > > all. I've started keeping the side panel off so I can access the bios

    reset
    > > easily.
    > >
    > > Is the more likely culprit the processor, memory or motherboard? The

    reason
    > > that I mention the processor is that I have *underclocked* my 2400+ to
    > > 2200+, and while the booting issue continues, the occasional blue screen
    > > crashes have stopped.
    > >
    > > I'd rather not replace all three at the same time...
    > >
    > > Thanks for any thoughts on what to try first

  4. Gene

    Gene Guest

    Certainly RAM is the easiest to switch & test. If you have access to
    another compatible computer, try switching RAM. If problem does not go
    away, try switching power supply. If no joy...look for motherboard. Have
    you tried updating the BIOS?