1. This forum section is a read-only archive which contains old newsgroup posts. If you wish to post a query, please do so in one of our main forum sections (here). This way you will get a faster, better response from the members on Motherboard Point.

Battery question

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by Charlie Hoffpauir, Apr 17, 2012.

  1. My Samsung laptop (NP700Z5A-S04US) has a non-removable battery. That
    is, I must send it back if the battery must be replaced. The question
    is about how to "prolong" the life of the battery. The computer has a
    setting that limits the charge to 80 %, and it says use this to
    prolong the life of the battery. Anyone familiar with this technique?
    Somehow, it doesn't seem right to me, since I'd heard to basically
    recharge fully then use the battery to nearly empty before recharging.

    Their story: "A battery deisgned for the long haul, Samsung PowerPlus
    technology gives you more years and more hours. The intelligent
    battery charging uses anti-aging technology so that the battery keeps
    80% of its original capacity for up to 1500 recharges. That's 5x
    longer than a typical battery! No more will you have to deal with a
    battery that cant hold its charge. Samsung batteries work as well on
    day one as they will on day one hundred."

    Comments appreciated.
     
    Charlie Hoffpauir, Apr 17, 2012
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Charlie Hoffpauir

    mike Guest

    On 4/16/2012 5:57 PM, Charlie Hoffpauir wrote:
    > My Samsung laptop (NP700Z5A-S04US) has a non-removable battery. That
    > is, I must send it back if the battery must be replaced. The question
    > is about how to "prolong" the life of the battery. The computer has a
    > setting that limits the charge to 80 %, and it says use this to
    > prolong the life of the battery. Anyone familiar with this technique?
    > Somehow, it doesn't seem right to me, since I'd heard to basically
    > recharge fully then use the battery to nearly empty before recharging.
    >
    > Their story: "A battery deisgned for the long haul, Samsung PowerPlus
    > technology gives you more years and more hours. The intelligent
    > battery charging uses anti-aging technology so that the battery keeps
    > 80% of its original capacity for up to 1500 recharges. That's 5x
    > longer than a typical battery! No more will you have to deal with a
    > battery that cant hold its charge. Samsung batteries work as well on
    > day one as they will on day one hundred."
    >
    > Comments appreciated.

    One school of thought says that a lithium battery lasts longest if you
    charge it to 40% and put it in the fridge.
    It lasts the shortest if you cycle it 0-100% at high temperatures.

    You get to choose whether you want to admire it as it sits in the fridge,
    or to use the computer.

    Another school of thought says that you get about the same number of
    total amp-hours out of the battery over a broad range of depth of discharge.

    Electric vehicle makers are on the cutting edge of maximizing battery
    life. I think there were some articles on the Tesla battery system, but
    I can't find the links.

    Limiting the charge to 80% will likely help the number of charge cycles.
    Shutting down the computer when it hits 40% will likely help too.
    And if that works for you, go for it.

    Many of us are more worried about the weight of the laptop >> smaller
    battery capacity
    And whether the computer will run long enough to get our jobs done.
    The cost of a new battery may be a tiny percentage of the cost of doing
    business.
    Vendors are very good at responding to tradeoffs customers want.
     
    mike, Apr 17, 2012
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Charlie Hoffpauir

    AJL Guest

    On Mon, 16 Apr 2012 19:57:07 -0500, Charlie Hoffpauir
    <> wrote:

    >My Samsung laptop (NP700Z5A-S04US) has a non-removable battery. That
    >is, I must send it back if the battery must be replaced.


    Looks like a plug in battery. If you're the least bit handy you should
    be able to replace it yourself when (and if) the time comes.

    http://forum.notebookreview.com/sam...ies-7-chronos-np700z5a-disassembly-guide.html

    >The question
    >is about how to "prolong" the life of the battery. The computer has a
    >setting that limits the charge to 80 %, and it says use this to
    >prolong the life of the battery. Anyone familiar with this technique?


    Not me.

    >Somehow, it doesn't seem right to me, since I'd heard to basically
    >recharge fully then use the battery to nearly empty before recharging.


    Complete discharge was the procedure in the old NiCad battery days to
    prevent a battery memory. Li-Ion batteries like your new one don't
    have the memory problem.

    But some of the Li-Ion laptops I've had in the past suggested a
    complete discharge once a month to re-calibrate the L-ion battery's
    electronics.

    Most of the articles I've read say that Li-Ion batteries last longer
    if they're lightly discharged before recharging, and to avoid deep
    discharges as a routine.

    >Their story: "A battery deisgned for the long haul, Samsung PowerPlus
    >technology gives you more years and more hours. The intelligent
    >battery charging uses anti-aging technology so that the battery keeps
    >80% of its original capacity for up to 1500 recharges. That's 5x
    >longer than a typical battery! No more will you have to deal with a
    >battery that cant hold its charge. Samsung batteries work as well on
    >day one as they will on day one hundred."


    In my case I've never had to replace a laptop battery. I've always
    treated them poorly and they still lasted several years (longer than
    my urge to get a new laptop anyway... ;)

    >Comments appreciated.


    In your case I'd do what the MFG suggests. That's usually the best
    policy.
     
    AJL, Apr 17, 2012
    #3
  4. Charlie Hoffpauir

    AJL Guest

    On Mon, 16 Apr 2012 19:22:28 -0700, mike <> wrote:

    >On 4/16/2012 5:57 PM, Charlie Hoffpauir wrote:
    >> My Samsung laptop (NP700Z5A-S04US) has a non-removable battery.


    >One school of thought says that a lithium battery lasts longest if you
    >charge it to 40% and put it in the fridge.
    >It lasts the shortest if you cycle it 0-100% at high temperatures.
    >
    >You get to choose whether you want to admire it as it sits in the fridge,
    >or to use the computer.


    That's a *non-removable* battery. I doubt he's going to want to put
    that $1000 laptop in the freezer to save the battery... 8-O
     
    AJL, Apr 17, 2012
    #4
  5. Charlie Hoffpauir

    Roland Mösl Guest

    On 2012-04-17 02:57, Charlie Hoffpauir wrote:
    > My Samsung laptop (NP700Z5A-S04US) has a non-removable battery. That
    > is, I must send it back if the battery must be replaced. The question
    > is about how to "prolong" the life of the battery. The computer has a
    > setting that limits the charge to 80 %, and it says use this to
    > prolong the life of the battery. Anyone familiar with this technique?
    > Somehow, it doesn't seem right to me, since I'd heard to basically
    > recharge fully then use the battery to nearly empty before recharging.


    To fully discharge before recharge is the perfect sabotage
    for batteries.

    Best is to always recharge after use.

    Look at the Chevy Volt. It has a little bit greater battery than a notebook.

    The cycle between 30% and 80% charging state to have the longest
    possible life time. The 16 kWh battery would 0% to 100% be suitable
    for more than 100 km on battery.

    --
    Roland Mösl
    http://www.pege.org Planetary Engineering Group Earth
     
    Roland Mösl, Apr 17, 2012
    #5
  6. Charlie Hoffpauir

    Bob_Villa Guest

    On Apr 17, 3:38 am, Roland Mösl <> wrote:
    > On 2012-04-17 02:57, Charlie Hoffpauir wrote:
    >
    > > My Samsung laptop (NP700Z5A-S04US) has a non-removable battery. That
    > > is, I must send it back if the battery must be replaced. The question
    > > is about how to "prolong" the life of the battery. The computer has a
    > > setting that limits the charge to 80 %, and it says use this to
    > > prolong the life of the battery. Anyone familiar with this technique?
    > > Somehow, it doesn't seem right to me, since I'd heard to basically
    > > recharge fully then use the battery to nearly empty before recharging.

    >
    > To fully discharge before recharge is the perfect sabotage
    > for batteries.
    >
    > Best is to always recharge after use.
    >
    > Look at the Chevy Volt. It has a little bit greater battery than a notebook.
    >
    > The cycle between 30% and 80% charging state to have the longest
    > possible life time. The 16 kWh battery would 0% to 100% be suitable
    > for more than 100 km on battery.
    >
    > --
    > Roland Möslhttp://www.pege.orgPlanetary Engineering Group Earth


    Is this what you're saying?: "They cycle between a 30 and 80% charging
    state to have the longest usable life. If you charged between 0 to
    100% the 16kWh battery would last more than 100km." YMMV
     
    Bob_Villa, Apr 17, 2012
    #6
  7. Charlie Hoffpauir

    Roland Mösl Guest

    On 2012-04-17 13:47, Bob_Villa wrote:
    > On Apr 17, 3:38 am, Roland Mösl<> wrote:
    >> On 2012-04-17 02:57, Charlie Hoffpauir wrote:
    >>
    >>> My Samsung laptop (NP700Z5A-S04US) has a non-removable battery. That
    >>> is, I must send it back if the battery must be replaced. The question
    >>> is about how to "prolong" the life of the battery. The computer has a
    >>> setting that limits the charge to 80 %, and it says use this to
    >>> prolong the life of the battery. Anyone familiar with this technique?
    >>> Somehow, it doesn't seem right to me, since I'd heard to basically
    >>> recharge fully then use the battery to nearly empty before recharging.

    >>
    >> To fully discharge before recharge is the perfect sabotage
    >> for batteries.
    >>
    >> Best is to always recharge after use.
    >>
    >> Look at the Chevy Volt. It has a little bit greater battery than a notebook.
    >>
    >> The cycle between 30% and 80% charging state to have the longest
    >> possible life time. The 16 kWh battery would 0% to 100% be suitable
    >> for more than 100 km on battery.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Roland Möslhttp://www.pege.orgPlanetary Engineering Group Earth

    >
    > Is this what you're saying?: "They cycle between a 30 and 80% charging
    > state to have the longest usable life. If you charged between 0 to
    > 100% the 16kWh battery would last more than 100km." YMMV


    Yes! Correct!

    The NiMh from the Toyota Prius is even used only
    between 40% to 60%

    --
    Roland Mösl
    http://www.pege.org Planetary Engineering Group Earth
     
    Roland Mösl, Apr 17, 2012
    #7
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. William P.N. Smith
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    427
    William P.N. Smith
    Aug 13, 2004
  2. Fred Mau
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    475
    JEFFTUSTIN
    Oct 4, 2005
  3. JD
    Replies:
    12
    Views:
    25,930
  4. Gary Reichlinger
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    678
    Gary Reichlinger
    Jun 28, 2003
  5. Barry Watzman
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    1,391
Loading...

Share This Page