    RAID 1 is 2 X 250GB Hitachi on HPT 372 Primary
    RAID 2 is 2 X 250GB Hitachi on HPT 372 Secondary

    BIOS is DP
    Colon Terminus, Oct 28, 2004

  2. Colon Terminus

    Lewis Guest

    Colon Terminus wrote:

    >Based on info gleaned from this NG, I purchased a P4 3.0C Processor for my
    >BE-7 Raid. No go. It won't POST with the bus set to 200. It'll POST at 195,
    >but fails to detect the boot HD. It'll boot to Windows at 180, maybe higher,
    >I'll try later.
    >
    >I'm not complaining or looking for advice, just sharing information that may
    >be of value to some.
    >
    >Currently:
    >Ext. Clock 180/66/33
    >PCI Bus 33MHz. (Fixed)
    >Multiplier Factor 15
    >DRAM Ratio H/W Strap HIGH
    >DRAM Ratio (CPU:DRAM) 1:1
    >Core Voltage Std. Vcore (I tried 'em all)
    >DRAM Voltage 2.6
    >
    >Boot drive is 250GB Hitachi on IDE0
    >RAID 1 is 2 X 250GB Hitachi on HPT 372 Primary
    >RAID 2 is 2 X 250GB Hitachi on HPT 372 Secondary
    >
    >BIOS is DP

    Hmm Interesting but bad news :(? I was preparing myself for same that
    upgrade (200 FSB CPU in BE7-RAID) and Richard said he think it must work
    normaly ? AFAIK another merber was preparing to this "jump" so now i'm
    in dilema.

    Are you sure you have Pc3200 RAM (400 Mhz) ? If you had old ram on 333
    Mhz it's pretty sure it won't boot on 400 Mhz at CPU:DRAM 1:1 ratio.

    P.S. I'd upgrade BIOS to "e7" version which is most recent BIOs version
    and it's more than year jounger than dp :).
    Please update this post if works after that update, thanks.

    --
    ------------ Lewis ----------

    http://www.lewis.tomsoft.hr

    ICQ : 7128177
    -----------------------------
    Lewis, Oct 28, 2004

  3. "Colon Terminus" wrote in message...
    > Based on info gleaned from this NG, I purchased a P4 3.0C Processor
    > for my BE-7 Raid. No go. It won't POST with the bus set to 200.
    > It'll POST at 195, but fails to detect the boot HD. It'll boot to
    > Windows at 180, maybe higher, I'll try later.

    You haven't mentioned what memory you have, but as things stand this is by
    far the likeliest cause. Assuming it is PC3200 or faster, try increasing the
    DRAM voltage another tenth or two and see what that does. If it doesn't help
    much, try dropping the ratio to 4/3. If it works with the memory bus speed
    dropped, at least you know.
    --

    Richard Hopkins
    Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom

    Richard Hopkins, Oct 29, 2004
  4. Colon Terminus

    R. J. Salvi Guest

    Don't have a HD installed yet (maybe this weekend), but with a 2.8C, DDR400
    and a vid card, mine posts no problem. fwiw...

    --
    Robert J. Salvi, Ambiance Acoustics
    http://www.ambianceacoustics.com

    R. J. Salvi, Oct 29, 2004
  5. "Richard Hopkins" <> wrote in message
    > "Colon Terminus" wrote in message...
    > > Based on info gleaned from this NG, I purchased a P4 3.0C Processor
    > > for my BE-7 Raid. No go. It won't POST with the bus set to 200.
    > > It'll POST at 195, but fails to detect the boot HD. It'll boot to
    > > Windows at 180, maybe higher, I'll try later.

    > You haven't mentioned what memory you have, but as things stand this is by
    > far the likeliest cause. Assuming it is PC3200 or faster, try increasing

    the
    > DRAM voltage another tenth or two and see what that does. If it doesn't

    help
    > much, try dropping the ratio to 4/3. If it works with the memory bus speed
    > dropped, at least you know.
    > --
    >

    > Richard Hopkins
    > Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom
    > (replace .nospam with .com in reply address)
    >
    > The UK's leading technology reseller www.dabs.com
    > Get the most out of your digital photos www.dabsxpose.com

    The RAM is Mushkin PC4000 (DDR500), so that shouldn't be a problem. I've
    pushed the RAM voltage up to 2.7, the max for this board, to no avail. This
    board previously had a 3.06GHz. processor in it running at 158MHz withthe
    H/W strap low and the ratio at 5:4. That put the memory bus well over 200
    and it had no problems then.

    I will try your suggestion, though, and change the ratio and see if that
    helps. I'll also update the BIOS as suggested by Lewis. I'll post back here
    with the result.

    I also discovered that the machine isn't stable at 180, nor at 175. Right
    now it is running at 166 and appears to be stable. It ran memtest for six
    hours without failure and right now it is running Prime 95 and seems to be
    okay.
    Colon Terminus, Oct 29, 2004
  6. "Colon Terminus" <> wrote in message

    > "Richard Hopkins" <> wrote in message
    > > "Colon Terminus" wrote in message...
    > > > Based on info gleaned from this NG, I purchased a P4 3.0C Processor
    > > > for my BE-7 Raid. No go. It won't POST with the bus set to 200.
    > > > It'll POST at 195, but fails to detect the boot HD. It'll boot to
    > > > Windows at 180, maybe higher, I'll try later.

    > > You haven't mentioned what memory you have, but as things stand this is

    by
    > > far the likeliest cause. Assuming it is PC3200 or faster, try increasing

    > the
    > > DRAM voltage another tenth or two and see what that does. If it doesn't

    > help
    > > much, try dropping the ratio to 4/3. If it works with the memory bus

    speed
    > > dropped, at least you know.
    > > --
    > >

    > > Richard Hopkins
    > > Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom
    > > (replace .nospam with .com in reply address)
    > >
    > > The UK's leading technology reseller www.dabs.com
    > > Get the most out of your digital photos www.dabsxpose.com
    > >

    > The RAM is Mushkin PC4000 (DDR500), so that shouldn't be a problem. I've
    > pushed the RAM voltage up to 2.7, the max for this board, to no avail.

    This
    > board previously had a 3.06GHz. processor in it running at 158MHz withthe
    > H/W strap low and the ratio at 5:4. That put the memory bus well over 200
    > and it had no problems then.
    >
    > I will try your suggestion, though, and change the ratio and see if that
    > helps. I'll also update the BIOS as suggested by Lewis. I'll post back

    here
    > with the result.
    >
    > I also discovered that the machine isn't stable at 180, nor at 175. Right
    > now it is running at 166 and appears to be stable. It ran memtest for six
    > hours without failure and right now it is running Prime 95 and seems to be
    > okay.

    BIOS upgrade didn't help.
    Setting the DRAM ratio to 4:3 didn't help.
    The highest stable bus speed attainable is 171.

    The CPU and RAM when moved to an i875 chipset board run stable at 220MHz.

    There's just something about this particular BE-7 RAID board that won't
    allow it to run above 171MHz.
    I guess that all BE-7's aren't created equal.
    Colon Terminus, Oct 30, 2004
  7. Colon Terminus

    Lewis Guest

    R. J. Salvi wrote:

    >Don't have a HD installed yet (maybe this weekend), but with a 2.8C, DDR400
    >and a vid card, mine posts no problem. fwiw...

    Interesting. I also planed to put 800FSB but not prescot so it might
    work fine with northwood. What bios you use ?

    --
    ------------ Lewis ----------

    http://www.lewis.tomsoft.hr

    ICQ : 7128177
    -----------------------------
    Lewis, Oct 30, 2004
  8. Colon Terminus

    R. J. Salvi Guest

    > "Colon Terminus" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Richard Hopkins" <> wrote in message
    >> >
    >> > You haven't mentioned what memory you have, but as things stand this is

    > by
    >> > far the likeliest cause. Assuming it is PC3200 or faster, try
    >> > increasing

    >> the
    >> > DRAM voltage another tenth or two and see what that does. If it doesn't

    >> help
    >> > much, try dropping the ratio to 4/3. If it works with the memory bus

    > speed
    >> > dropped, at least you know.
    >> > --
    >> >

    >> > Richard Hopkins
    >> > Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom
    >> > (replace .nospam with .com in reply address)
    >> >
    >> > The UK's leading technology reseller www.dabs.com
    >> > Get the most out of your digital photos www.dabsxpose.com
    >> >

    >> The RAM is Mushkin PC4000 (DDR500), so that shouldn't be a problem. I've
    >> pushed the RAM voltage up to 2.7, the max for this board, to no avail.

    > This
    >> board previously had a 3.06GHz. processor in it running at 158MHz withthe
    >> H/W strap low and the ratio at 5:4. That put the memory bus well over 200
    >> and it had no problems then.
    >>
    >> I will try your suggestion, though, and change the ratio and see if that
    >> helps. I'll also update the BIOS as suggested by Lewis. I'll post back

    > here
    >> with the result.
    >>
    >> I also discovered that the machine isn't stable at 180, nor at 175. Right
    >> now it is running at 166 and appears to be stable. It ran memtest for six
    >> hours without failure and right now it is running Prime 95 and seems to
    >> be
    >> okay.
    >>

    > BIOS upgrade didn't help.
    > Setting the DRAM ratio to 4:3 didn't help.
    > The highest stable bus speed attainable is 171.
    >
    > The CPU and RAM when moved to an i875 chipset board run stable at 220MHz.
    >
    > There's just something about this particular BE-7 RAID board that won't
    > allow it to run above 171MHz.
    > I guess that all BE-7's aren't created equal.

    What's your PSU rated at? Although the 3.06B/533 and the 3.0C/800 have
    virtually the same current draw, I suspect the 800MHz bus has significantly
    increased the load on your PSU. IIRC, you have 5 drives (includes 2 RAID
    arrays)?

    R. J. Salvi, Oct 30, 2004
  9. Colon Terminus

    R. J. Salvi Guest

    "Lewis" <> wrote in message
    > R. J. Salvi wrote:
    >
    >>Don't have a HD installed yet (maybe this weekend), but with a 2.8C,
    >>DDR400 and a vid card, mine posts no problem. fwiw...
    >>

    > Interesting. I also planed to put 800FSB but not prescot so it might work
    > fine with northwood. What bios you use ?

    DP
    R. J. Salvi, Oct 30, 2004
  10. "Colon Terminus" <> wrote in message
    > There's just something about this particular BE-7 RAID board
    > that won't allow it to run above 171MHz.
    > I guess that all BE-7's aren't created equal.

    I believe there's only one rev of BE7, although it seems there are a couple
    of board designs used across the different BE7-G, BE7-RAID, BE7-V and so-on.

    Robert has stolen the words out of my mouth. When you tried the CPU and
    memory in the 875 based motherboard, did you also transfer the PSU over?

    Richard Hopkins, Oct 30, 2004
  11. "Richard Hopkins" <> wrote in message

    > "Colon Terminus" <> wrote in message
    > > There's just something about this particular BE-7 RAID board
    > > that won't allow it to run above 171MHz.
    > > I guess that all BE-7's aren't created equal.

    > I believe there's only one rev of BE7, although it seems there are a

    couple
    > of board designs used across the different BE7-G, BE7-RAID, BE7-V and

    so-on.

    > Robert has stolen the words out of my mouth. When you tried the CPU and
    > memory in the 875 based motherboard, did you also transfer the PSU over?
    > --

    No, I didn't transfer the PSU.

    The board runs fine at 171Mhz.
    I fail to see how a bus speed of 200Mhz. would be more taxing on the PSU
    than a speed of 171MHz.
    I did, however, disconnect both RAID arrays and retried it at 200MHz. No
    POST.
    The PSU is a PC Power and Cooling Turbo Cool 510 Deluxe. I don't think it is
    the source of the failure.
    This particular board just ain't gonna run at more than 171MHz.
    Colon Terminus, Oct 30, 2004
  12. Colon Terminus

    R. J. Salvi Guest

    > "Richard Hopkins" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Colon Terminus" <> wrote in message
    >> > There's just something about this particular BE-7 RAID board
    >> > that won't allow it to run above 171MHz.
    >> > I guess that all BE-7's aren't created equal.

    >> I believe there's only one rev of BE7, although it seems there are a

    > couple
    >> of board designs used across the different BE7-G, BE7-RAID, BE7-V and

    > so-on.
    >>
    >> Robert has stolen the words out of my mouth. When you tried the CPU and
    >> memory in the 875 based motherboard, did you also transfer the PSU over?
    >> --
    >>

    > No, I didn't transfer the PSU.
    >
    > The board runs fine at 171Mhz.
    > I fail to see how a bus speed of 200Mhz. would be more taxing on the PSU
    > than a speed of 171MHz.

    Think of voltage as "fuel." To go faster, a machine needs more fuel.

    > I did, however, disconnect both RAID arrays and retried it at 200MHz. No
    > POST.
    > The PSU is a PC Power and Cooling Turbo Cool 510 Deluxe. I don't think it
    > is
    > the source of the failure.
    > This particular board just ain't gonna run at more than 171MHz.

    What are your RAM timing settings in the "Advanced Chipset" portion of the
    BIOS? When using DDR400 with RAM timings set to SPD, the BIOS in my board
    wants to set the RAM timings as follows: 2, 5, 2, 2. My machine won't boot
    with these timings. I manually set the timings to 2.5, 5, 3, 3 and it boots
    fine.

    Also -- although I think it's incidental -- my BE7-RAID has a passively
    cooled chipset. I removed the HS, got rid of that gummy thermal compound,
    cleaned both surfaces and applied some Arctic Silver. Again, I think it's
    incidental, but it's just one more consideration when operating a
    motherboard outside of its specifications.

    In a worst case scenario you might be right, maybe it's the mobo regulation
    stage(s) that can't handle the additional stress. I still think it's
    something else though...

    R. J. Salvi, Oct 30, 2004
  13. Re: Re: BE-7 Won't boot with 800MHz. FSB

    On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 17:23:32 GMT, "R. J. Salvi"
    <> wrote:

    >> "Colon Terminus" <> wrote in message
    >> >
    >> > "Richard Hopkins" <> wrote in message

    >> > couple
    >> > so-on.

    >> > No, I didn't transfer the PSU.
    >> >
    >> > The board runs fine at 171Mhz.
    >> > I fail to see how a bus speed of 200Mhz. would be more taxing on the PSU
    >> > than a speed of 171MHz.

    >> Think of voltage as "fuel." To go faster, a machine needs more fuel.

    Think of electric current flow like water in pipes.
    Higher water pressure (voltage) can overcome a narrow pipe (90nm circuit
    tracings) to an extent, the circuitry needs a total amount of power
    (pressure times gallons/hour, or volts times current) to work. At
    higher clock speeds, a higher voltage may get an adequate power to the
    working circuitry to allow it to work reliably; at some point the
    voltage itself causes damage.
    Brian Brunner, Oct 30, 2004
  14. "R. J. Salvi" <> wrote in message
    > "Colon Terminus" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Richard Hopkins" <> wrote in message
    > >>
    > >> "Colon Terminus" <> wrote in message
    > >>
    > >> I believe there's only one rev of BE7, although it seems there are a

    > > couple
    > >> of board designs used across the different BE7-G, BE7-RAID, BE7-V and

    > > so-on.
    > >>
    > >> Robert has stolen the words out of my mouth. When you tried the CPU and
    > >> memory in the 875 based motherboard, did you also transfer the PSU

    over?
    > >> --
    > >>

    > > No, I didn't transfer the PSU.
    > >
    > > The board runs fine at 171Mhz.
    > > I fail to see how a bus speed of 200Mhz. would be more taxing on the PSU
    > > than a speed of 171MHz.

    > Think of voltage as "fuel." To go faster, a machine needs more fuel.
    >
    > > I did, however, disconnect both RAID arrays and retried it at 200MHz. No
    > > POST.
    > > The PSU is a PC Power and Cooling Turbo Cool 510 Deluxe. I don't think

    it
    > > is
    > > the source of the failure.
    > > This particular board just ain't gonna run at more than 171MHz.

    > What are your RAM timing settings in the "Advanced Chipset" portion of the
    > BIOS? When using DDR400 with RAM timings set to SPD, the BIOS in my board
    > wants to set the RAM timings as follows: 2, 5, 2, 2. My machine won't boot
    > with these timings. I manually set the timings to 2.5, 5, 3, 3 and it

    boots
    > fine.
    >
    > Also -- although I think it's incidental -- my BE7-RAID has a passively
    > cooled chipset. I removed the HS, got rid of that gummy thermal compound,
    > cleaned both surfaces and applied some Arctic Silver. Again, I think it's
    > incidental, but it's just one more consideration when operating a
    > motherboard outside of its specifications.

    This is DDR500 RAM, it's just loafing at 200MHz.
    The RAM timings were set to SPD 2, 5, 2, 2.
    I tried 2.5, 5, 3, 3 and no joy.
    I tried 2.5, 6, 3, 3 and no joy.
    I tried 2.5, 7, 3, 3 and no joy.
    There are no other settings available there.

    I've got a mirror polished (by me) Thermaltake cooler on mine.
    And a Zalman 7000cu on the CPU.
    Needless to say, there's Arctic Silver under both of 'em.
    Colon Terminus, Oct 30, 2004
  15. Colon Terminus

    R. J. Salvi Guest

    > "R. J. Salvi" <> wrote in message
    >> "Colon Terminus" <> wrote in message
    >> >
    >> > "Richard Hopkins" <> wrote in message

    >> > couple
    >> > so-on.

    > over?
    >> >>
    >> > No, I didn't transfer the PSU.
    >> >
    >> > The board runs fine at 171Mhz.
    >> > I fail to see how a bus speed of 200Mhz. would be more taxing on the
    >> > PSU
    >> > than a speed of 171MHz.

    >> Think of voltage as "fuel." To go faster, a machine needs more fuel.
    >>
    >> > I did, however, disconnect both RAID arrays and retried it at 200MHz.
    >> > No
    >> > POST.
    >> > The PSU is a PC Power and Cooling Turbo Cool 510 Deluxe. I don't think

    > it
    >> > is
    >> > the source of the failure.
    >> > This particular board just ain't gonna run at more than 171MHz.

    >> What are your RAM timing settings in the "Advanced Chipset" portion of
    >> the
    >> BIOS? When using DDR400 with RAM timings set to SPD, the BIOS in my board
    >> wants to set the RAM timings as follows: 2, 5, 2, 2. My machine won't
    >> boot
    >> with these timings. I manually set the timings to 2.5, 5, 3, 3 and it

    > boots
    >> fine.
    >>
    >> Also -- although I think it's incidental -- my BE7-RAID has a passively
    >> cooled chipset. I removed the HS, got rid of that gummy thermal compound,
    >> cleaned both surfaces and applied some Arctic Silver. Again, I think it's
    >> incidental, but it's just one more consideration when operating a
    >> motherboard outside of its specifications.
    >>

    > This is DDR500 RAM, it's just loafing at 200MHz.
    > The RAM timings were set to SPD 2, 5, 2, 2.
    > I tried 2.5, 5, 3, 3 and no joy.
    > I tried 2.5, 6, 3, 3 and no joy.
    > I tried 2.5, 7, 3, 3 and no joy.
    > There are no other settings available there.
    >
    > I've got a mirror polished (by me) Thermaltake cooler on mine.
    > And a Zalman 7000cu on the CPU.
    > Needless to say, there's Arctic Silver under both of 'em.

    Bummer. Well...maybe it's the batch of the 845 chipset on your board that
    can't hang with 200MHz, maybe it's in the regulation stage, or maybe the
    gods must be crazy... :)

    If you do however find a fix, please keep us updated.

    R. J. Salvi, Oct 31, 2004