BE7 and Vista

Discussion in 'Abit' started by Marcus, Jan 28, 2007.

  1. Marcus

    Marcus Guest

    Hello,

    Thinking on installing Vista Home Premium on my system (Abit BE7 with PIV
    3.06GB (O/C'd to 3.5GB), 1GB Ram) when it's released in a week or so, I have
    run the Vista upgrade advisor and this has said that my HPT372 Raid
    controller on my 4 year old ABit BE7 will not run. I have had a look on the
    Abit and Highpoint web site and there doesn't seem to any Vista drivers
    available.

    If there is no Vista drivers available is there a chance that the latest XP
    drivers will be OK, when XP was launched 5 years ago some of my hardware
    manufactures didn't release XP drivers but Windows 2000 drivers did the
    trick.

    Also my Creative Live 5.1 soundcard is not going to have Vista drivers
    available, what's the chance of this running with Vista.

    I know installing Vista will slow my PC down but I am planning to build a
    new PC at the end of this year or start of next so if the worst comes to the
    worst I'll just stick with XP until then but I'd like to be familiar with
    Vista before I upgrade.

    Another option would be to dual boot, how do I set this up on the same hard
    drive, is it an option during Vista install. What I would like is a menu
    upon boot as to with OS I wish to boot to.

    Thanks

    Marcus

    Marcus, Jan 28, 2007

  2. Marcus

    Ed Medlin Guest

    "Marcus" <> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > Thinking on installing Vista Home Premium on my system (Abit BE7 with PIV
    > 3.06GB (O/C'd to 3.5GB), 1GB Ram) when it's released in a week or so, I
    > have run the Vista upgrade advisor and this has said that my HPT372 Raid
    > controller on my 4 year old ABit BE7 will not run. I have had a look on
    > the Abit and Highpoint web site and there doesn't seem to any Vista
    > drivers available.
    >
    > If there is no Vista drivers available is there a chance that the latest
    > XP drivers will be OK, when XP was launched 5 years ago some of my
    > hardware manufactures didn't release XP drivers but Windows 2000 drivers
    > did the trick.
    >
    > Also my Creative Live 5.1 soundcard is not going to have Vista drivers
    > available, what's the chance of this running with Vista.
    >
    > I know installing Vista will slow my PC down but I am planning to build a
    > new PC at the end of this year or start of next so if the worst comes to
    > the worst I'll just stick with XP until then but I'd like to be familiar
    > with Vista before I upgrade.
    >
    > Another option would be to dual boot, how do I set this up on the same
    > hard drive, is it an option during Vista install. What I would like is a
    > menu upon boot as to with OS I wish to boot to.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Marcus

    I would wait until your new system for Vista.

    Ed

    Ed Medlin, Jan 28, 2007

  3. Marcus

    Wes Newell Guest

    On Sun, 28 Jan 2007 13:55:04 +0000, Marcus wrote:

    > Thinking on installing Vista Home Premium on my system (Abit BE7 with PIV
    > 3.06GB (O/C'd to 3.5GB), 1GB Ram) when it's released in a week or so, I
    > have run the Vista upgrade advisor and this has said that my HPT372 Raid
    > controller on my 4 year old ABit BE7 will not run. I have had a look on
    > the Abit and Highpoint web site and there doesn't seem to any Vista
    > drivers available.

    Why are you wanting to install Vista? The reasons I upgrade my OS is for
    support of newer hardware that I've added. I just can't understand why
    you'd want to upgrade an OS to lose HW support.

    Wes Newell, Jan 28, 2007
  4. "Marcus" <> wrote in message...
    > Thinking on installing Vista Home Premium on my system (Abit BE7
    > with PIV 3.06GB (O/C'd to 3.5GB), 1GB Ram) when it's released
    > in a week or so, I have run the Vista upgrade advisor and this has said
    > that my HPT372 Raid controller on my 4 year old ABit BE7 will
    > not run.

    Hmmm, I've installed beta Vistas on my old system which has an HPT372 on it,
    so it's possible the Advisor might be giving you a bum steer there.
    Anyway...

    > I have had a look on the Abit and Highpoint web site and there doesn't
    > seem to any Vista drivers available.

    Can't have looked quite hard enough then, there are Vista compatible drivers
    listed at Highpoint's site:

    http://www.highpoint-tech.com/BIOS_Driver/rr133/Win/hpt37x2-vista-2.351.zip

    > Also my Creative Live 5.1 soundcard is not going to have Vista drivers
    > available, what's the chance of this running with Vista.

    There are a number of issues with Vista and older sound devices. Think
    Creative's Alchemy is supposed to be fix but not sure how complete or
    effective it is.

    > I know installing Vista will slow my PC down but I am planning to build
    > a new PC at the end of this year or start of next so if the worst comes
    > to the worst I'll just stick with XP until then but I'd like to be
    > familiar with Vista before I upgrade.

    Your option of course but this sounds like a load of hassle and money to no
    real benefit. The only things that Vista does that XP doesn't are the Aero
    Glass UI and DirectX 10 games. It sounds like your system isn't going to be
    up to DX10 gaming anyway and there are addons for XP that do a Glass-like
    trick, so why faff around with something that will, as you say, slow your
    system up and also saddle you with a load of DRM?

    > What I would like is a menu upon boot as to with OS I wish to boot to.

    What is the point of dual booting Vista *and* XP? Sounds like you're
    volunteering yourself for a stack of hassle here, just for the sake of being
    able to say you've got Vista. When you get it, you're likely to realise that
    you didn't really want it that much after all.

    I'm with the other guys. If you're thinking you might stick with XP for the
    time being, and aren't planning on building a new system until the end of
    this year at the earliest, there is no point getting Vista now. It doesn't
    give you anything worthwhile, bar bragging rights with your mates, and IMV
    isn't worth the cost, either in terms of buying it or the hassle you're
    likely to have getting your sound as good as it was.

    If you're going to get it, the time to do so is when you're getting your new
    hardware. By then you'll be able to buy a Vista DVD with SP1 already
    integrated, and indeed you'll have learned enough about the OS from other
    sources to decide whether you want to go with it, or stick with XP.
    --

    Richard Hopkins
    Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom

    Richard Hopkins, Jan 28, 2007
  5. Marcus

    FKS Guest

    "Marcus" <> wrote in message
    > I know installing Vista will slow my PC down but I am planning to build a
    > new PC at the end of this year or start of next so if the worst comes to
    > the worst I'll just stick with XP until then but I'd like to be familiar
    > with Vista before I upgrade.

    Then, what's the point of installing Vista? You are about to invite lots of
    potential problems. Wait until you build a new system.

    FKS, Jan 28, 2007
  6. Marcus

    JAD Guest

    Do you like to tinker and open your rig allot? Cause that is ALL your going
    to get different with a brand new OS. Vista is a lot of hype bout nothing,
    and WAY too soon for a new resource hog of an OS.

    JAD, Jan 28, 2007
  7. Marcus

    DaveW Guest

    Your hardware that does not have valid Vista drivers will NOT run using XP
    drivers. I would hold off upgrading your OS for a while until more
    companies update their components Vista drivers.

    --
    DaveW

    ----------------

    DaveW, Jan 28, 2007
  8. Marcus

    Ed Light Guest

    My Live! makes sound with the public preview of Vista, but the options are
    amazingly slim. Not even a full mixer. I couldn't find the midi font file to
    replace with a copy of the original. I'd probably do better using the
    motherboard's sound.

    Dual booting is what I'm doing, using bootitng.

    Here's the news server:

    terabyteunlimited.com
    use port 1198

    It's a bit cryptic to use, but excellent.

    You'll want to download the manual and search the site for Vista info.

    And this:

    Recommended Boot Configuration Data (BCD) Settings for Windows Vista
    BCDEdit is the Windows Vista boot configuration data editor; a command-line
    utility that can be used to edit the Windows Vista boot configuration.
    After installing Windows Vista to its own dedicated primary partition (C:),
    as is recommended by TeraByte, you may want to issue the BCDEdit commands
    shown below. By issuing the commands below, you will be able to easily
    copy, image, restore, and deploy the Windows Vista partition.

    Please note that BCDEdit.exe, which resides in the %windir%\system32 folder,
    requires Administrative privileges to run. You will need to right click
    the Command Prompt shortcut (or cmd.exe itself, in %windir%\system32),
    select Run as administrator from the menu that appears, and then issue the
    BCDEdit commands in the command prompt window.

    bcdedit /set {bootmgr} device boot
    bcdedit /set {default} device boot
    bcdedit /set {default} osdevice boot

    --
    Ed Light

    Bring the Troops Home:
    http://bringthemhomenow.org
    http://antiwar.com

    Send spam to the FTC at

    Thanks, robots.

    Ed Light, Jan 29, 2007
  9. Marcus

    jaster Guest

    On Sun, 28 Jan 2007 13:55:04 +0000, Marcus thoughtfully wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > Thinking on installing Vista Home Premium on my system (Abit BE7 with PIV
    > 3.06GB (O/C'd to 3.5GB), 1GB Ram) when it's released in a week or so, I
    > have run the Vista upgrade advisor and this has said that my HPT372 Raid
    > controller on my 4 year old ABit BE7 will not run. I have had a look on
    > the Abit and Highpoint web site and there doesn't seem to any Vista
    > drivers available.

    Buying hardware to fit the OS? Vista home doesn't have the bells and
    whistles you're looking for in Vista. You'd have to buy the$199 upgrade.

    Like others on the board. If you buy a new PC with Vista installed no
    problem otherwise stick with what you have. Going to Vista with XP
    software is risky. Some software already won't work with Vista. Then
    again some people like pain.

    jaster, Jan 29, 2007
  10. Marcus

    Marcus Guest

    "Wes Newell" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 28 Jan 2007 13:55:04 +0000, Marcus wrote:
    >
    >> Thinking on installing Vista Home Premium on my system (Abit BE7 with PIV
    >> 3.06GB (O/C'd to 3.5GB), 1GB Ram) when it's released in a week or so, I
    >> have run the Vista upgrade advisor and this has said that my HPT372 Raid
    >> controller on my 4 year old ABit BE7 will not run. I have had a look on
    >> the Abit and Highpoint web site and there doesn't seem to any Vista
    >> drivers available.
    >>

    > Why are you wanting to install Vista? The reasons I upgrade my OS is for
    > support of newer hardware that I've added. I just can't understand why
    > you'd want to upgrade an OS to lose HW support.

    I just like tinkering with computers and want to give Vista a try. I'll
    probably wait a while before I take the plunge though.

    Marcus, Jan 29, 2007
  11. Marcus

    Marcus Guest

    ">
    > Hmmm, I've installed beta Vistas on my old system which has an HPT372 on
    > it, so it's possible the Advisor might be giving you a bum steer there.
    > Anyway...
    >
    >> I have had a look on the Abit and Highpoint web site and there doesn't
    >> seem to any Vista drivers available.

    > Can't have looked quite hard enough then, there are Vista compatible
    > drivers listed at Highpoint's site:
    >
    > http://www.highpoint-tech.com/BIOS_Driver/rr133/Win/hpt37x2-vista-2.351.zip
    >
    >> Also my Creative Live 5.1 soundcard is not going to have Vista drivers
    >> available, what's the chance of this running with Vista.

    > There are a number of issues with Vista and older sound devices. Think
    > Creative's Alchemy is supposed to be fix but not sure how complete or
    > effective it is.
    >
    >> I know installing Vista will slow my PC down but I am planning to build
    >> a new PC at the end of this year or start of next so if the worst comes
    >> to the worst I'll just stick with XP until then but I'd like to be
    >> familiar with Vista before I upgrade.

    > Your option of course but this sounds like a load of hassle and money to
    > no real benefit. The only things that Vista does that XP doesn't are the
    > Aero Glass UI and DirectX 10 games. It sounds like your system isn't going
    > to be up to DX10 gaming anyway and there are addons for XP that do a
    > Glass-like trick, so why faff around with something that will, as you say,
    > slow your system up and also saddle you with a load of DRM?
    >
    >> What I would like is a menu upon boot as to with OS I wish to boot to.

    > What is the point of dual booting Vista *and* XP? Sounds like you're
    > volunteering yourself for a stack of hassle here, just for the sake of
    > being able to say you've got Vista. When you get it, you're likely to
    > realise that you didn't really want it that much after all.
    >
    > I'm with the other guys. If you're thinking you might stick with XP for
    > the time being, and aren't planning on building a new system until the end
    > of this year at the earliest, there is no point getting Vista now. It
    > doesn't give you anything worthwhile, bar bragging rights with your mates,
    > and IMV isn't worth the cost, either in terms of buying it or the hassle
    > you're likely to have getting your sound as good as it was.
    >
    > If you're going to get it, the time to do so is when you're getting your
    > new hardware. By then you'll be able to buy a Vista DVD with SP1 already
    > integrated, and indeed you'll have learned enough about the OS from other
    > sources to decide whether you want to go with it, or stick with XP.
    > --

    Hello Richard,

    Thanks for the drivers, I wasn't looking in the correct section as I thought
    it wouldn't come under a stand alone card as it was built on to the BE7.

    I have the option of using the onboard sound, I wonder if Abit will release
    Vista drivers for the trusty olde BE7.

    I'll probably wait a few months before I install Vista, I expect it'll be a
    nightmare but I enjoy computers and am looking forward to using the new
    operating system, I'll image my Xp install just in case it goes completely
    wrong.

    Thanks for your on going advise, I think you helped me 4 years ago when I
    built this system.

    Marcus

    Marcus, Jan 29, 2007
  12. Marcus

    Marcus Guest

    "FKS" <> wrote in message news:7s5vh.363$...

    > "Marcus" <> wrote in message
    >> I know installing Vista will slow my PC down but I am planning to build a
    >> new PC at the end of this year or start of next so if the worst comes to
    >> the worst I'll just stick with XP until then but I'd like to be familiar
    >> with Vista before I upgrade.

    > Then, what's the point of installing Vista? You are about to invite lots
    > of potential problems. Wait until you build a new system.

    I like a challenge :)

    Marcus, Jan 29, 2007
  13. Marcus

    Marcus Guest

    "JAD" <> wrote in message
    > Do you like to tinker and open your rig allot? Cause that is ALL your
    > going to get different with a brand new OS. Vista is a lot of hype bout
    > nothing, and WAY too soon for a new resource hog of an OS.

    Yes I do and that's my problem, I should stick to the "If it aint broke
    don't try to fix it" saying.

    Marcus, Jan 29, 2007
  14. Marcus

    Marcus Guest

    > Buying hardware to fit the OS? Vista home doesn't have the bells and
    > whistles you're looking for in Vista. You'd have to buy the$199 upgrade.

    I have found the OEM version of Home Premium for £62 + delivery at Komplett

    Marcus, Jan 29, 2007
  15. Marcus

    Ed Light Guest

    > I have the option of using the onboard sound, I wonder if Abit will
    > release Vista drivers for the trusty olde BE7.

    It's likely a generic "AC97" sound that Vista would automatically support;
    but maybe in a very basic way.

    If it is you could look for drivers at the Realtek site.

    You can expect that lots of companies weren't releasing drivers until the
    final release of Vista could be had for awhile, that they could test on.

    --
    Ed Light

    Bring the Troops Home:
    http://bringthemhomenow.org
    http://antiwar.com

    Send spam to the FTC at

    Thanks, robots.

    Ed Light, Jan 30, 2007
  16. Marcus

    Ed Medlin Guest

    "Marcus" <> wrote in message
    >> Buying hardware to fit the OS? Vista home doesn't have the bells and
    >> whistles you're looking for in Vista. You'd have to buy the$199 upgrade.
    >>

    > I have found the OEM version of Home Premium for £62 + delivery at
    > Komplett

    That is very close to some brick and mortar outfits' price in the
    US....$120.00 or so OEM. Just saw that Ultimate is going for around $400.00
    US retail and about $200.00 OEM at my local 'puter shop. I am going to wait
    until my next upgrade (at least) until I think about going to all Vista. I
    don't want to mess around with dual booting or anything like that. It is a
    "wait and see" thing for me. My present system will run it, but there are
    some issues I would have to take care of first, so I will not mess with it
    yet.

    Ed

    Ed Medlin, Jan 30, 2007
  17. Marcus

    Marcus Guest

    "Ed Medlin" <> wrote in message

    > "Marcus" <> wrote in message
    >>> Buying hardware to fit the OS? Vista home doesn't have the bells and
    >>> whistles you're looking for in Vista. You'd have to buy the$199
    >>> upgrade.
    >>>

    >> I have found the OEM version of Home Premium for £62 + delivery at
    >> Komplett
    >>

    > That is very close to some brick and mortar outfits' price in the
    > US....$120.00 or so OEM. Just saw that Ultimate is going for around
    > $400.00 US retail and about $200.00 OEM at my local 'puter shop. I am
    > going to wait until my next upgrade (at least) until I think about going
    > to all Vista. I don't want to mess around with dual booting or anything
    > like that. It is a "wait and see" thing for me. My present system will run
    > it, but there are some issues I would have to take care of first, so I
    > will not mess with it yet.

    I'm going to Newyork on Friday and was going to pick up a copy there but at
    £62 + del I think it'll be hard to find it cheaper.

    Marcus, Jan 30, 2007
  18. Marcus

    Ed Light Guest

    Ed Light, Jan 31, 2007