Beep Codes

Discussion in 'Dell' started by MWB, Jul 17, 2009.

  1. MWB

    MWB Guest

    My friends Dell

    Beep code 4-2 and it's toast. Anyone know what this beep code is?? He
    swapped out the power supply with no luck.

    Mark

    1. Advertising

  2. Ben Myers

    Ben Myers Guest

    MWB wrote:
    > My friends Dell
    >
    > Beep code 4-2 and it's toast. Anyone know what this beep code is?? He
    > swapped out the power supply with no luck.
    >

    > Mark

    What model of Dell??? ... Ben Myers

    1. Advertising

  3. MWB

    MWB Guest

    "Ben Myers" <> wrote in message
    > MWB wrote:
    >> My friends Dell
    >>
    >> Beep code 4-2 and it's toast. Anyone know what this beep code is?? He
    >> swapped out the power supply with no luck.
    >>

    >> Mark

    > What model of Dell??? ... Ben Myers

    Hi Ben...

    I don't have a clue. He bought a new Acer.

    There was one fan that had a cowling to the CPU and it wasn't working.

    I was just curious about the beep code.

    Mark

  4. Pen

    Pen Guest

    MWB wrote:
    > "Ben Myers" <> wrote in message
    >> MWB wrote:
    >>> My friends Dell
    >>>
    >>> Beep code 4-2 and it's toast. Anyone know what this beep code is?? He
    >>> swapped out the power supply with no luck.
    >>>

    >>> Mark

    >> What model of Dell??? ... Ben Myers

    > Hi Ben...
    >
    > I don't have a clue. He bought a new Acer.
    >
    > There was one fan that had a cowling to the CPU and it wasn't working.
    >
    > I was just curious about the beep code.
    >

    > Mark

    You could send him here and see if there is info there. Beep codes are
    unique to BIOS makers and/or manufacturers.

  5. Hi!

    Got to know what model to be exactly sure.

    There are fault LEDs on the back of the machine and there is a speaker on
    the motherboard that produces the beeps as you already found. The fault LED
    codes for Dell desktops are fairly well documented and generally do a good
    job of explaining the problem.

    Beep codes only happen when the system can't get the video going for some
    reason. So a bad (cooked from heat most likely) video subsystem OR bad/loose
    memory is likely.

    There probably was no need to buy a new computer, unless your friend really
    wanted one...

    William

  6. Hello

    Hello Guest