Best GPU for maximum memory i/o for TDP of 90 watts.

Discussion in 'Nvidia' started by Skybuck Flying, May 19, 2011.

  1. Hello,

    I am not sure exactly how much the XFX GTX 7900 512 MB graphics cards
    produces in TDP it's not on this chart:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_Nvidia_graphics_processing_units#cite_note-26

    Some other weblinks mentioned 90 watts... but it could also be different
    depending on nm used.

    Anyway I will assume the 90 watts.

    I am interested in replacing this graphics card with a CUDA enabled graphics
    card.

    I want to use it for maximum memory input and output this means maximum
    ammount of reads and writes to the graphics card's memory, also the more
    memory the better.

    Calculations are not that important.

    There are many different graphics cards designs with different memory chips
    which might or might not influence the maximum memory i/o.

    Which NVIDIA graphics cards would be best for maximum memory i/o at TDP
    around 90 watts ?!?

    I am interested in a single slot and dual slot card. So you may choose two
    ?!?

    Bye,
    Skybuck.

    Skybuck Flying, May 19, 2011

  2. To clearify it a bit:

    With memory i/o I mean mostly random access.

    There will be a huge ammount of threads in parallel that will do
    read/write/random access to hide the memory latency.

    I am hoping the cuda cores can schedule i/o requests and move on to other
    tasks until the memory comes in.

    (Like asynchronous memory system)

    So which GPU/chips would be best ?!? ;)

    Bye,
    Skybuck.

    Skybuck Flying, May 19, 2011

  3. Also further clearification:

    All of the memory will be used, so I expect caching to have little effect
    and little use.

    So which one(s) are best under these conditions ?

    Bye,
    Skybuck.

    Skybuck Flying, May 19, 2011
  4. Skybuck Flying

    Paul Guest

    Skybuck Flying wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I am not sure exactly how much the XFX GTX 7900 512 MB graphics cards
    > produces in TDP it's not on this chart:
    >
    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_Nvidia_graphics_processing_units#cite_note-26
    >
    > Some other weblinks mentioned 90 watts... but it could also be different
    > depending on nm used.
    >
    > Anyway I will assume the 90 watts.
    >
    > I am interested in replacing this graphics card with a CUDA enabled graphics
    > card.
    >
    > I want to use it for maximum memory input and output this means maximum
    > ammount of reads and writes to the graphics card's memory, also the more
    > memory the better.
    >
    > Calculations are not that important.
    >
    > There are many different graphics cards designs with different memory chips
    > which might or might not influence the maximum memory i/o.
    >
    > Which NVIDIA graphics cards would be best for maximum memory i/o at TDP
    > around 90 watts ?!?
    >
    > I am interested in a single slot and dual slot card. So you may choose two
    > ?!?
    >
    > Bye,
    > Skybuck.

    7900 GTX is 84.2 watts (measured).

    http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/graphics/display/geforce7900gtx_6.html#sect0

    The GTX 580 uses 26.5W when idle, and 264.1W when running a game. Memory
    bandwidth is on the order of 192GB/sec compared to 51GB/sec for your old card.
    So a high end card has close to four times the bandwidth. If you
    move down to a lower end card, then chances are the memory bandwidth
    will be smaller.

    http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/graphics/display/geforce-gtx-580_5.html#sect0

    The GTX 550 Ti uses 10.7W idle and 91.1W in a 3D game. Memory bandwidth
    is 98GB/sec compared to your old card at 51GB/sec.

    http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/graphics/display/msi-n550gtx-ti-cyclon-oc_3.html#sect0

    You can get a GTX 580 with 3GB of memory on board.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130655

    The GTX 550 Ti is available with 2GB of memory.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130652

    The GTX 580 is a fairly long card, so it would be a good
    idea to check the clearance available inside your computer case.
    The GTX 550 Ti is a bit shorter, and likely to fit in more
    cases. Check the motherboard, to make sure the SATA connectors are
    not underneath the tail end of the video card. Some motherboards
    have right-angle SATA connector columns, to avoid interference from
    the video card.

    HTH,
    Paul

    Paul, May 19, 2011
  5. So far I see two interesting cards:

    1. GeForce GT 545 DDR3 (70 TDP)
    Memory:
    1536 MiB
    or
    3072 MiB
    Config core ?: 144:24:24
    Core MHz: 720
    See chart for other differences
    Bandwidth: 43 GB/S (even lower than a GTX 7900 ! ;))

    2. GeForce GT 545 GDDR5 (105 TDP)
    Memory:
    1024 MiB (seems a bit low compared to the other card)
    Config core ?: 144:24:16
    Core MHz: 870
    See chart for other differences
    Other big difference:
    Bandwidth: 64 GB/S

    At first glance Number 2 seems to be the faster card, but the reduced
    memory size could hurt it's performance ?!?

    However card 1 seems to have a weird memory chip layout ?!? (and uses the
    older/slower(?) DDR3)

    Bye,
    Skybuck.

    Skybuck Flying, May 20, 2011
  6. Perhaps I will go for a passively cooled graphics cards instead... that way
    I pretty much never have to clean it... perhaps a quick blow and then it's
    good to go...

    It's kinda disgusting... the idea of having a dust stuffed dust sucker in
    the case... especially the 590 seems like a real dust sucker... the big
    question is: can the graphics case be easily detached for cleaning purposes
    ?!? I would guess so but I am not sure... same question for these GT 545
    models.

    The problem with these graphics card cases is:

    They are not transparent... so it's very hard to see if there is dust inside
    or not.

    At least the GTX 7900's case was transparent... a big plus.

    Failing to notice dust build up inside of such beasts can probably be
    catastrophic on the long term...

    Especially these new 590 models which can generate 360 watts of heat or
    so...

    These are probably fire hazards ! ;) I totally expect more gamer-houses to
    go up in flames... there are already enough house fires here so not looking
    forward to it ;)

    Bye,
    Skybuck.

    Skybuck Flying, May 20, 2011
  7. Hmmm so far nvidia has no "passive heatsink graphics cards" on offer:

    http://www.geforce.com/#/Hardware/GPUs

    The closest thing to a passive heatsink gpu seems to be their embedded
    motherboard things, best one at the moment is probably:

    GeForce 9400 mGPU

    So this is not a good sign, this means passive heatsink designs are done by
    third parties and who knows... it might be unreliable and less well
    tested... or perhaps better, time will tell.

    Bye,
    Skybuck.

    Skybuck Flying, May 20, 2011
  8. "Skybuck Flying" <> wrote in message
    > Hmmm so far nvidia has no "passive heatsink graphics cards" on offer:
    >
    > http://www.geforce.com/#/Hardware/GPUs
    >
    > The closest thing to a passive heatsink gpu seems to be their embedded
    > motherboard things, best one at the moment is probably:
    >
    > GeForce 9400 mGPU

    Hmm this is 2008 old technology and can't find one for sale... no idea what
    the price is...

    The way my luck is with the shocking and all, maybe not too smart to put all
    eggs in one basket.

    I am starting to get a bit frustrated, I want a cuda enabled something, but
    I don't want the heat and I don't want the dust. If can find something that
    does cuda with little heat and no dust then I might be willing to upgrade
    and ditch old hardware, otherwise I will stick with old hot hardware buy a
    new motherboard of only 65 euro's and then I am done... but then I can't
    cuda except for 2.3 emulation which is still something ;)

    Bye,
    Skybuck.

    Skybuck Flying, May 20, 2011
  9. Ok,

    First candidate, available at webstore near me too ! ;)

    1. ASUS ENGT440 DC SL/DI/1GD3

    http://uk.asus.com/Graphics_Cards/NVIDIA_Series/ENGT440_DC_SLDI1GD3/

    Totally passively cooled, and fokking powerfulll too, but will it work ?! ;)

    I'll have to investigate later, first I see if I can find more powerfull
    passively cooled cards ! ;)

    This one only has 2 years of warranty a bit short.

    Bye,
    Skybuck.

    Skybuck Flying, May 20, 2011
  10. "Skybuck Flying" <> wrote in message
    > Ok,
    >
    > First candidate, available at webstore near me too ! ;)

    This one is elidly a GTX version, though the name has GT in it hmmm:

    > 1. ASUS ENGT440 DC SL/DI/1GD3
    >
    > http://uk.asus.com/Graphics_Cards/NVIDIA_Series/ENGT440_DC_SLDI1GD3/

    128 bit bus.

    Another candidate:

    2. ASUS ENGT520 SILENT/DI/1GD3(LP)

    Only 64 bit bus.

    And another one: it's heatsick design looks a bit weird and possibly
    problematic, only 50 watt it says but further inspection necessary.

    3. ASUS ENGT430 DC SL/DI/1GD3

    This is an old one and probably sold out, still interesting to see, but I
    will probably skip this one:

    4. ASUS EN210 SILENT/DI/1GD2(LP)

    Hmm it seems XFX has no more nvidia cards... I wonder why... perhaps they
    got in a fight or something or perhaps they were brided... well to bad for
    them.

    Well the adventage of buying a graphics card is that I could re-use it for a
    new system.

    This way I don't have to upgrade anything else...

    Now I can just buy new motherboard and replace graphics card and then I
    should be back up soon ! ;) =D

    Now I have to make a decision which one will I buy... they all pretty
    cheap... below 100 bucks... nice ! ;) =D This leaves room for me to buy two
    motherboards in case one dies again ! ;) =D

    Bye,
    Skybuck.

    Skybuck Flying, May 20, 2011
  11. Another benefit of such a card could be that I could my creative labs
    soundblaster... which is a bit of a danger because of it's golden back
    plate... but I will attach some sticky tape to it... to hopefully make it
    non-conductive as a protective measure against plug shock...

    Alternatively I could use optimal cable from motherboard... or perhaps even
    opticable cable from breakout box that came with sb... but I don't think
    that will work well since it's limited to stereo or something or perhaps it
    depends on software.

    This passively cooled stuff seems to be a real nice solution... but again
    will it work ?! ;) perhaps it will again obstract airflow over the card...
    but it's worth a try ! ;) :)

    Hopefully asrock motherboard has temperature sensors so I can monitor what
    happens... I should check if it has ! ;)

    Bye,
    Skybuck.

    Skybuck Flying, May 20, 2011
  12. Hmm the specifications at the asus website totally sucks...

    It doesn't mention directx versions and it doesn't mention power or tdp's

    This makese comparing difficult.

    Though this one so far seems to be a real beauty:

    http://uk.asus.com/Graphics_Cards/NVIDIA_Series/ENGT520_SILENTDI1GD3LP/

    Only single slot and passively cooled and fully directx 11

    Can you believe it ?! ;)

    Almost seems like a perfect card for me... however only 64 bit.

    It will probably be fast enough for dx9 games which there are still plenty
    of ;)

    It will probably be able to do 1920x1200 desktop all cards can do that I
    would think ! ;) That's just a couple of 100 mb's per second or so, yeah.

    Gonna look at the rest now.

    Bye,
    Skybuck.

    Skybuck Flying, May 20, 2011
  13. "Skybuck Flying" <> wrote in message
    > Hmm the specifications at the asus website totally sucks...
    >
    > It doesn't mention directx versions and it doesn't mention power or tdp's
    >
    > This makese comparing difficult.
    >
    > Though this one so far seems to be a real beauty:
    >
    > http://uk.asus.com/Graphics_Cards/NVIDIA_Series/ENGT520_SILENTDI1GD3LP/
    >
    > Only single slot and passively cooled and fully directx 11

    Hmm that picture is highly deceptive.

    It's actually a dual slot cooler !

    Asus is lieing again !

    What a bunch of liers !

    Good thing my webstore doesn't lie and warned me with pictures it's dual
    slot ! ;)

    So this removes it's adventage.

    Bye,
    Skybuck.

    Skybuck Flying, May 20, 2011
  14. "Skybuck Flying" <> wrote in message

    > "Skybuck Flying" <> wrote in message
    >> Ok,
    >>
    >> First candidate, available at webstore near me too ! ;)

    > This one is elidly a GTX version, though the name has GT in it hmmm:
    >>
    >> 1. ASUS ENGT440 DC SL/DI/1GD3
    >>
    >> http://uk.asus.com/Graphics_Cards/NVIDIA_Series/ENGT440_DC_SLDI1GD3/

    > 128 bit bus.
    >
    > Another candidate:
    >
    > 2. ASUS ENGT520 SILENT/DI/1GD3(LP)
    >
    > Only 64 bit bus.
    >
    > And another one: it's heatsick design looks a bit weird and possibly
    > problematic, only 50 watt it says but further inspection necessary.
    >
    > 3. ASUS ENGT430 DC SL/DI/1GD3
    >

    > This is an old one and probably sold out, still interesting to see, but I
    > will probably skip this one:
    >
    > 4. ASUS EN210 SILENT/DI/1GD2(LP)

    ^ This one is directx 10.1 only so this can be dismissed.
    DX11 probably better for cuda and games too.

    Bye,
    Skybuck.

    Skybuck Flying, May 20, 2011
  15. "Skybuck Flying" <> wrote in message

    > "Skybuck Flying" <> wrote in message
    >> Ok,
    >>
    >> First candidate, available at webstore near me too ! ;)

    > This one is elidly a GTX version, though the name has GT in it hmmm:
    >>
    >> 1. ASUS ENGT440 DC SL/DI/1GD3
    >>
    >> http://uk.asus.com/Graphics_Cards/NVIDIA_Series/ENGT440_DC_SLDI1GD3/

    > 128 bit bus.
    >
    > Another candidate:
    >
    > 2. ASUS ENGT520 SILENT/DI/1GD3(LP)
    >
    > Only 64 bit bus.

    ^

    Ok I think we have a winner.

    Number 2 is the most modern one... it supports opengl 4.1

    It only takes 29 watts of power at full speed which is the lowest of all.

    And best of all it claims it supports 3D Vision !

    Which means games could be played in 3D which could be cool ! ;) =D

    The heatsink design is a bit weird and worries me a bit...

    So I am gonna have to find a review.

    Number 4 used the same heatsink design so I could view reviews about it's
    heatsink.

    If the heatsink is ok we could have winner...

    But first I need to inspect other details like bandwidth and such ! ;) =D

    But I shouldn't be too picky ! ;) =D

    But it's bandwidth should at least be enough to play all directx9 games in
    1920x1200 at at least 30 fps ! ;) =D

    So gotta investigate that ! ;)

    Bye,
    Skybuck.

    Skybuck Flying, May 20, 2011
  16. I want to see a quake 3 benchmark of this card at 1920x1200.

    When such basic benchmarks are missing you know something is wrong ;)

    If this card can't even play quake 3 at 1920x1200 then something is terribly
    wrong ! LOL.

    Bye,
    Skybuck.

    Skybuck Flying, May 20, 2011
  17. Hmm...

    AMD has a very interesting one too, done by asus with passive heat sink
    too... and it seems to be much faster:

    Asus ATI Radeon 6450 1024MB GDDR3 PCIe - Passive / LP

    http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/...d6400series/asus/eah6450silentdi1gd3(lp).html

    Also this review puts them against each other:

    The GT 520 versus the Radone 6450:

    http://alienbabeltech.com/main/the-battle-of-the-htpc-cards-galaxys-gt-520-vs-hd-5450-gddr5-vs-gddr3

    Reading it now !

    Going to be interesting !

    I might have to give up on cuda... would be bad/sad but then I would go with
    opencl... which might be better... more code to write... but at least
    vendor-neutral ;)

    Bye,
    Skybuck.

    Skybuck Flying, May 20, 2011
  18. "Skybuck Flying" <> wrote in message
    > Hmm...
    >
    > AMD has a very interesting one too, done by asus with passive heat sink
    > too... and it seems to be much faster:
    >
    > Asus ATI Radeon 6450 1024MB GDDR3 PCIe - Passive / LP
    >
    > http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/...d6400series/asus/eah6450silentdi1gd3(lp).html

    ^ Ok this one is crap.

    > Also this review puts them against each other:
    >
    > The GT 520 versus the Radone 6450:
    >
    > http://alienbabeltech.com/main/the-battle-of-the-htpc-cards-galaxys-gt-520-vs-hd-5450-gddr5-vs-gddr3

    The GT 520 is kinda crap too but at least low power.

    Perhaps the GT 440 is a better choice, it should be at least double as fast
    as the GT 520.

    Though perhaps GT 520 better otherwise me gaming all the time lol.

    But I do wanna see Battlefield 3 in action some time or something like
    that...

    Would hate it if GT 520 could not run it at say 640x480 or something... like
    below 1fps or something.

    So perhaps GT 440 better choice... can't find a review of the asus one...
    with the heat sink and slower memory... hmmm...

    60 watt's without a fan seems impossible to me...

    So perhaps GT 520 better... even this one is already pretty hot at 30 tdp...

    My PIII 450 mhz probably runs at that wattage too and it needs a fan ! ;)

    So perhaps these cards even run impossibly hot.

    This could mean they all suck.

    If I stick with my GTX 7900 then everything will run fast for sure... but
    then can't use soundblaster but maybe can't use it anyway with these hot
    cards.

    And no cuda, except emulation... which would be shitty slow.

    Also cpu still hot at 90 watts so doesn't make too much sense to suddenly go
    back to 30 watts...

    At least no more dust problems hopefully.

    The weird thing is webstore says the gt 520 is 3d ready while according to
    another review it wasn't.... hmm...

    Also the additionale back plate for the gt 520 is a bit clunky... why not
    attach it to it ?!? weird...

    Also the gt 520 is opengl 4.1 which has better capability for opencl
    interoperability.

    So time for me to cut the chord and make a decision.

    I am gonna go with the gt 520... it's only 53 bucks or so... though there is
    an asterix...

    53 bucks lol... I spent more on pizza in a week lol.

    If the card sucks... well then I can always replace it with my gtx 7900 and
    enjoy it's speed.

    So I am gonna give the gt 520 a try so I can give cuda a try at hardware
    support.

    Bye,
    Skybuck.

    Skybuck Flying, May 20, 2011
  19. Le 20/05/2011 04:29, Skybuck Flying a écrit :
    > The problem with these graphics card cases is:
    >
    > They are not transparent... so it's very hard to see if there is dust inside
    > or not.

    Thanks for pointing out the very interesting computer graphics problem
    of dust in graphics cards. However, there is an even more interesting
    problem : is there a graphics card which would prevent you from spamming
    5 newsgroups with 17 messages (each ; with no followup) about your
    personal shopping list ?

    Nicolas Bonneel, May 20, 2011
  20. Ok,

    I thought it through some more...

    I don't like what I see... it's all too expensive for my taste for very
    little in return.

    The time is just not right to buy a new PC.

    Therefore instead of trying to save on "transport costs" I am instead going
    to save on "useless hardware costs".

    So I am going to spent the very minimum of getting my system back up running
    and the only thing I need for that is a new motherboard.

    Once it's up running I will take it from there.

    However there is one little thingy I still need to investigate...

    Can I run "parallel nsight with cuda emulation"... probably not but I should
    try anyway...

    If it's not possible then to bad for cuda... I am sticking with this plan
    for now.

    I am going to order the motherboard and that's final...

    Also because the motherboard itself is very limited...

    I would need a router, and I don't really need a router and a router would
    slow down my gaming... so fok that.

    I will just wait until Battlefield 3 comes out, cracked and all... and then
    watch some benchmarks or something, and watch new hardware.

    Current hardware probably can't play it at 1920x1200 anyway.. unless you
    wanna burn your computer literay.

    So later... see you in the future ! ;) =D

    By doing this I also don't need the old hardware anymore which I was gonna
    purchase... the web store timed out... screw that ! ;) =D

    So minimal spending to spend more later on ;)

    Bye,
    Skybuck.

    Skybuck Flying, May 20, 2011