best Linux distro for Intel Macs

Discussion in 'Apple' started by Karen, Jun 19, 2006.

  1. Karen

    Karen Guest

    Hello all,

    Please read on before telling me that I'm posting to the wrong
    newsgroup.

    When getting my new MacBook Pro next week, I am going to install
    Parallels Desktop and some form of Linux. OS X will remain my system of
    choice, I only want Linux for MATLAB (until the universal binary is
    released), some non-commercial scientific simulation programs and maybe
    other open-source stuff. My experience with Linux is largely positive
    (only exception being a virus), but limited.

    Are there any Linux distributions that are close to the OS X (vs
    Windows) mindset? I probably won't need to do anything too unusual with
    it, stability and ease-of use are therefore more important than zillions
    of features.

    Parallels lists some tested systems. The most obvious no-show is Ubuntu.
    (Any reasons...?)

    Has anyone here installed any distributions on their new Macs? Which
    were successful and commendable?

    If you do know of a better suited, lively newsgroup, you may of course
    tell me ...

    Many thanks in advance,
    Karen
    --
    remove underscore and six from my email address

    Karen, Jun 19, 2006