Best MB for OC'ing P4

Discussion in 'Overclocking' started by JM, Dec 22, 2003.

  1. JM

    JM Guest

    I have a P4 that I want to OC to the max.
    As you can see, I have it up to 2.76GHz, but upping the FSB any higher
    and it reboots or freezes.

    What would be the best MB to get for OC'ing this CPU?
    I have read reports it will go to 3GHz.
    My MB cannot adjust any voltages, only FSB.
    JM

    CPU-Z ReportCPU-Z Report

    CPU-Z version 1.20.

    CPU(s)
    Number of CPUs1

    Code NameNorthwood
    SpecificationIntel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.53GHz
    Family / Model / SteppingF 2 7
    Extended Family / Model0 0
    Brand ID9
    Technology0.13 µ
    Supported Instructions SetsMMX, SSE, SSE2
    CPU Clock Speed2766.1 MHz
    Clock multiplierx 19.0
    Front Side Bus Frequency145.6 MHz
    Bus Speed582.3 MHz
    L1 Data Cache8 KBytes, 4-way set associative, 64 Bytes
    line size
    L1 Trace Cache12 Kµops, 8-way set associative
    L2 Cache512 KBytes, 8-way set associative, 64 Bytes line
    size
    L2 Speed2766.1 MHz (Full)
    L2 LocationOn Chip
    L2 Data Prefetch Logicyes
    L2 Bus Width256 bits

    Mainboard and chipset
    Motherboard modelSiS-648,
    BIOS vendorPhoenix Technologies, LTD
    BIOS revision6.00 PG
    BIOS release date08/19/2003
    ChipsetSiS SiS648 rev. 50
    SouthbridgeSiS 8 rev. 25

    AGP Statusenabled, rev. 3.5
    AGP Data Transfert Rate4x
    AGP Side Band Addressingsupported, not enabled
    AGP Aperture Size64 MBytes

    Memory
    DRAM TypeDDR-SDRAM
    DRAM Size768 MBytes
    CAS# Latency2.0 clocks
    RAS# to CAS#4 clocks
    RAS# Precharge4 clocks
    Cycle Time (TRAS)6 clocks
    Bank Cycle Time (TRC)11 clocks
    # of memory modules2
    Module 0DDR-SDRAM PC3200 - 512 MBytes
    Module 1DDR-SDRAM PC3200 - 256 MBytes

    Software
    Windows versionMicrosoft Windows XP Service Pack 1 (Build
    2600)
    JM, Dec 22, 2003

  2. JM

    Skid Guest

    Don't give up on what you've got until you're tried a few more tricks.
    Loosen the ram timing to 3,4,4,8 and try raising the fsb some more. You can
    always tighten them back later once you know how high the cpu can go.

    On the other hand, you can't expect miracles with an older P4. They don't
    have nearly the headroom of the new ones.

    You have PC3200 memory already. You could get a good overclocking board like
    an Abit IS7 or IC7 and push your cpu to its limits. If you're still not
    satisfied, an new cpu (or video card if you're a gamer,) is the next step.

    My rig:
    Abit IC7, bios 19.
    P4C 2.4 @ 275x12=3.3 ghz
    4x256 Buffalo Tech PC3700 @ 5.4, 220 mhz, 2,3,2,6
    Sapphire Radeon 9500 modded to 9700 and overclocked to Pro.

    Skid, Dec 22, 2003

  3. JM

    JM Guest

    Thanks for the suggestions, I'll try them.
    My board can go to 800FSB, so a new CPU is not out of the question.
    OLDER CPU?
    I bought it 6 months ago! Oh, well, 6 months is obsolete, I guess. ;-(
    My video card is an ATI AIW Radeon 7500, I'm not into gaming, just
    video capture. I also have a FusionHDTV-II PCI tuner card. I don't
    really need to OC the video, just the CPU.

    I'll check on those motherboards and see if I can find one locally.

    You're doing a bit better than a friend of mine in Florida. He has the
    2.4GHz/800FSB at 3.06GHz.

    Besides what is in the report, my system also includes:
    Maxtor 40GB ATA133 7200RPM Drive C: for OS and Video capture
    Maxtor 80GB ATA100 5400RPM Drive D: for video data.
    WD 40GB ATA100 5400RPM for data storage.
    Maxtor (Promise) ATA133 PCI Controller.
    Turtle Beach Santa Cruz 6-CH Sound Card.
    Pioneer DVR-106D DVD/CD burner.
    Pioneer DVD-120 DVD-ROM.
    Mitsumi 54X CDROM.
    IO/Magic (AOpen) 24X10X40X CDROM.
    400W ATX-P4 PS.
    The ram is OCZ with heatsinks.

    Actually I can get to a FSB of 150 for 2.86GHz, but some apps, mainly
    the video processing ones (CCE2.50 and TMPGEnc+) have a tendency to
    lock up. Everything else seems to work fine. If I hit 151FSB the
    computer reboots after the BIOS text and before starting XP.

    JM

    JM, Dec 22, 2003
  4. JM

    JM Guest

    Can you be more specific on the RAM settings?
    My BIOS doesn't seem to have corresponding settings that matches those
    numbers.

    wrote:

    >Don't give up on what you've got until you're tried a few more tricks.
    >Loosen the ram timing to 3,4,4,8 and try raising the fsb some more. You can
    >always tighten them back later once you know how high the cpu can go.
    >
    >On the other hand, you can't expect miracles with an older P4. They don't
    >have nearly the headroom of the new ones.
    >
    >You have PC3200 memory already. You could get a good overclocking board like
    >an Abit IS7 or IC7 and push your cpu to its limits. If you're still not
    >satisfied, an new cpu (or video card if you're a gamer,) is the next step.
    >
    >My rig:
    >Abit IC7, bios 19.
    >P4C 2.4 @ 275x12=3.3 ghz
    >4x256 Buffalo Tech PC3700 @ 5.4, 220 mhz, 2,3,2,6
    >Sapphire Radeon 9500 modded to 9700 and overclocked to Pro.

    <snipped>
    JM, Dec 22, 2003
  5. JM

    Skid Guest

    "JM" <> wrote in message
    > Can you be more specific on the RAM settings?
    > My BIOS doesn't seem to have corresponding settings that matches those
    > numbers.
    > JM

    I haven't a clue how your bios is set up, but I can see from the readout in
    your first post the memory is set at CAS 2, which is is as tight as it gets.
    I suspect that raising it to CAS 2.5 or 3 will give you more headroom to
    reach a higher fsb.

    I'm also not sure about how the SiS sets AGP and PCI bus speed. If you can't
    lock them at defaults like an Intel or NForce board, look for a way to
    change the divisor to keep them as close to the standard 66/33 mhz as you
    can. Otherwise you're overclocking video, audio and drives along with the
    cpu, an invitation to instability.

    There's a good bios guide at www.rojakpot.com that may help.
    Skid, Dec 22, 2003
  6. JM

    katt33 Guest

    Skid wrote:

    > Don't give up on what you've got until you're tried a few more tricks.
    > Loosen the ram timing to 3,4,4,8 and try raising the fsb some more. You can

    Just reading other peoples posts.
    I'm already lower in MHz for my ram, but as above, this might help me too.
    I'm almost stable runing a 2.6c @ 3.25
    I'm only going up little by little to see what works.
    Slowing the ram timing might help me go a little faster.
    I'd like to hit 1GHz Over, but if I don't hit it, I don't.
    katt :) ;)

    katt33, Dec 22, 2003
  7. JM

    Tony Guest

    Skid, I've been meaning to ask you: have you run memtest86 with this setup?
    Any errors?

    Tony, Dec 23, 2003
  8. JM

    Adam Webb Guest

    Asus P4C800e deluxe.........

    --
    ______
    From Adam Webb,

    Adam Webb, Dec 23, 2003
  9. JM

    JM Guest

    On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 17:05:37 GMT, "Skid" <>
    wrote:

    >"JM" <> wrote in message
    >> Can you be more specific on the RAM settings?
    >> My BIOS doesn't seem to have corresponding settings that matches those
    >> numbers.
    >> JM

    >I haven't a clue how your bios is set up, but I can see from the readout in
    >your first post the memory is set at CAS 2, which is is as tight as it gets.
    >I suspect that raising it to CAS 2.5 or 3 will give you more headroom to
    >reach a higher fsb.

    I'll try increasing it.

    >I'm also not sure about how the SiS sets AGP and PCI bus speed. If you can't
    >lock them at defaults like an Intel or NForce board, look for a way to
    >change the divisor to keep them as close to the standard 66/33 mhz as you
    >can. Otherwise you're overclocking video, audio and drives along with the
    >cpu, an invitation to instability.

    It has 2 options on that. I can lock the AGP/PCI to auto-detect and it
    will always be what it should be, or I can select for it to overclock
    with the CPU. I keep it locked to 133/66/33. (AGP4X video)

    The CPU and RAM are also independent of each other, or can be locked
    together. I can set a divisor that will keep the ram at some ratio of
    the FSB. That keeps it from exceeding 200MHz or whatever it will run
    at, if slower than the CPU.

    >There's a good bios guide at www.rojakpot.com that may help.

    I'll check this out today.
    JM
    JM, Dec 23, 2003
  10. JM

    Skid Guest

    "Tony" <> wrote in message
    > Skid, I've been meaning to ask you: have you run memtest86 with this

    setup?
    > Any errors?

    No errors looping MemTest86 or Prime95 with the following:

    Abit IC7, bios 19
    P4C 2.4 @ 275x12=3.3ghz
    4x256 Buffalo Tech PC3700 (Winbond BH-5) running 5:4, 220 mhz, 2,3,2,6, all
    GAT auto.

    Sandra buffered memory about 5850.

    I can get the memory to 225 at CAS 2.5 and 230+ at CAS 3, but the cpu can't
    keep up at 5:4 and 1:1 doesn't push it enough.
    Skid, Dec 23, 2003
  11. JM

    Tony Guest

    Skid <> wrote in message

    > "Tony" <> wrote in message
    > > Skid, I've been meaning to ask you: have you run memtest86 with this

    > setup?
    > > Any errors?

    > No errors looping MemTest86 or Prime95 with the following:
    >
    > Abit IC7, bios 19
    > P4C 2.4 @ 275x12=3.3ghz
    > 4x256 Buffalo Tech PC3700 (Winbond BH-5) running 5:4, 220 mhz, 2,3,2,6,

    all
    > GAT auto.
    >
    > Sandra buffered memory about 5850.
    >
    > I can get the memory to 225 at CAS 2.5 and 230+ at CAS 3, but the cpu

    can't
    > keep up at 5:4 and 1:1 doesn't push it enough.

    Sorry, one more question: voltages for CPU and DIMMS?
    Tony, Dec 24, 2003
  12. JM

    Skid Guest

    "Tony" <> wrote in message

    > Skid <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Tony" <> wrote in message
    > > > Skid, I've been meaning to ask you: have you run memtest86 with this

    > > setup?
    > > > Any errors?

    > > No errors looping MemTest86 or Prime95 with the following:
    > >
    > > Abit IC7, bios 19
    > > P4C 2.4 @ 275x12=3.3ghz
    > > 4x256 Buffalo Tech PC3700 (Winbond BH-5) running 5:4, 220 mhz, 2,3,2,6,

    > all
    > > GAT auto.
    > >
    > > Sandra buffered memory about 5850.
    > >
    > > I can get the memory to 225 at CAS 2.5 and 230+ at CAS 3, but the cpu

    > can't
    > > keep up at 5:4 and 1:1 doesn't push it enough.
    > >

    > Sorry, one more question: voltages for CPU and DIMMS?

    1.575 for cpu, 2.8 for memory.
    Skid, Dec 24, 2003
  13. JM

    Adam Webb Guest

    you arnt supposed to post images to this newsgroup, as its text only :(

    --
    ______
    From Adam Webb,
    Adam Webb, Jan 2, 2004