    goes up to 2Ghz.

    Where would you spend the $200? MB+CPU or Video?

    Doug
    Doug, Apr 11, 2005

  2. Doug

    Michael Lee Guest

    Doug wrote:

    > I have a computer I use for playing games (among other things).
    > Basically FPS graphics-intensive stuff. I currently get crappy
    > performance with games like CS:Source, etc. Worst case: 10fps in
    > lowest settings.
    >
    > The computer is an AMD 1.7Ghz/266fsb, 512meg, GeForce 5700 Ultra.
    >
    > I want to either upgrade the MB+CPU or just the video card. Upgrading
    > the CPU alone is not worth it because this is an old MB and it only
    > goes up to 2Ghz.
    >
    > Where would you spend the $200? MB+CPU or Video?
    >
    > Doug

    Geforce 6600 GT!
    Michael Lee, Apr 11, 2005

  3. Doug

    DaveW Guest

    Upgrading just the video card would be a waste because the slower CPU you
    have would be a bottleneck for it.

    --
    DaveW

    DaveW, Apr 12, 2005
  4. Doug

    Michael Lee Guest

    DaveW wrote:
    > Upgrading just the video card would be a waste because the slower CPU you
    > have would be a bottleneck for it.

    You are probably right, but the GeForce 5700 Ultra isn't exactly cutting
    edge either.

    Doug, the best thing to do would be to wait and upgrade both CPU and
    video card at the same time. Save up another couple hundred and buy an
    AMD Athlon 64 3200+ or 3400+ and the GeForce 6600 GT and you'll have
    yourself a pretty decent gaming machine.

    PS - On a side note, I noticed a lot of posts on here are cross-posted
    to newsgroups I don't subscribe to. Would it be proper etiquette to
    only send my replies to newsgroups I read, or does it not matter? (i.e.
    because someone in another newsgroup might have already said the same
    exact thing, but I will never know)
    Michael Lee, Apr 12, 2005
  5. Doug

    Tal Fuchs Guest

    The 5700 Ultra even though it's not the best card it's still very good.
    I would recomend to upgrade the MB + CPU.
    BUT, replacing the MB + CPU will require an AGP MB, to be able to use the
    existing 5700 Ultra card.

    Tal

    Tal Fuchs, Apr 12, 2005
  6. Doug

    vilfrard Guest

    get a new motherboard and 2800+ or higher cpu and your games will be
    much much faster
    vilfrard, Apr 12, 2005
  7. Doug

    Doug Guest

    It looks like most people think the MB+CPU should be upgraded first.

    Damn, I just realized that I also have to get new memory if I buy a
    MB. I only have ddr266 which will probably slow down a 400fsb system.

    The one nice thing about upgading the video is that it's much easier.
    Upgrading the MB is a pain if you want to keep your programs and data
    -- which I do.

    Doug

    Doug, Apr 16, 2005