    In fact, the 503+ only sees 136GB. I'm using the JE4333 BIOS. It's ok
    since I can use the disk in another, newer system.

    Has anyone found a way to get a 503+ to see the space above 136GB?
    Joel Mosher, Jan 18, 2005

  2. Ahhh, so the VA-503+ can see all the way up to 136 GB with that BIOS.
    That is very good to know. As I am sure you know, 137 GB is the most
    recent BIOS-limited hard drive barrier. There is no BIOS revision that
    will let you get past 137 GB... at least, none that I know of.

    I suppose you can always use one of the hard drive utilities from the
    hard drive manfacturer's website to get past 137 GB, or buy a new PCI
    IDE controller card.

    $55 for 160 GB? Wow, that is quite a deal. As it stands, you are
    "wasting" only $8.25 worth of hard drive space!

    --Alex

    Alex Zorrilla, Jan 18, 2005

  3. Joel Mosher

    Not Bob Guest

    I have never seen a bios for the 503+ that supports 48-bit LBA so your only
    alternative is to use a PCI ATA controller card which supports 48-bit LBA.
    For more information see: http://www.48bitlba.com/

    Not Bob, Jan 19, 2005
  4. Joel Mosher

    Wblane Guest

    Another advantage of using another PCI ATA controller card is that you can get
    support for ATA modes faster than 33. The FIC VA503+ EIDE controller is slow as
    a slug.

    Wblane, Jan 19, 2005
  5. Joel Mosher

    Joel Mosher Guest

    Joel Mosher wrote:
    > I took a chance today. I bought a 160GB IDE disk at Frys for $55 after
    > rebate. I didn't know if my 503+ motherboards would see the whole disk.
    > In fact, the 503+ only sees 136GB. I'm using the JE4333 BIOS. It's ok
    > since I can use the disk in another, newer system.
    >
    > Has anyone found a way to get a 503+ to see the space above 136GB?

    I planned to install FreeBSD on this disk so I put it in my ECS K7S5A
    Pro motherboard which saw the entire disk. I installed FreeBSD 4.11RC3.
    Everything went well. I put the disk in the 503+ where it worked
    flawlessly. I didn't have to use any goofy sofware or controller cards.
    I suppose if I had to install Windows things would have been different.
    Joel Mosher, Jan 19, 2005
  6. Joel Mosher

    Not Bob Guest

    Yes that would work because Linux/FreeBSD do not use the bios to determine
    disk geometry. From the 136 GB number in your first post I just assumed you
    were using XP.

    Not Bob, Jan 19, 2005
  7. Joel Mosher

    Gibby Guest

    Hi Alex:
    So,then, if I'm using a FIC PA-2013 (Rev 2.1)MB, Windows98SE, with
    a PROMISE Ultra ATA/66 controller card, will I have a problem pairing
    it with a WD 120GB 7200RPM Internal EIDE hard drive? I wonder what the
    upper limit is for the Promise Ultra ATA66 controller?
    Thanks in advance.
    Gibby

    Gibby, Feb 7, 2005
  8. Joel Mosher

    Gibby Guest

    Update: I just read on the Promose ATA Ultra66 box that it supports
    drives up to 128GB.
    Gibby
    Gibby, Feb 7, 2005
  9. Joel Mosher

    Robert Akins Guest

    Gibby:
    The only problem you'll experience is if you want to use the 120GB drive
    as your boot drive, when you're installing 98SE. The 98SE install CD won't
    see the hard drive through the Ultra66 PCI controller card. You might have
    to install to a smaller hard drive (on the 2013's IDE controller), install
    the Ultra66, get 98SE to recognize it, then attach the 120GB hard drive. I
    haven't bought a WD hard drive in quite some time, so I don't know what kind
    of installation software they come with, but hopefully it would allow you to
    copy the contents of the small drive to a new drive, then remove the small
    drive and boot the system off the 120GB drive.
    Robert

    Robert Akins, Feb 8, 2005
  10. Joel Mosher

    Gibby Guest

    Robert: Thanks for the response. My biggest problem now is whether my
    existing interface (a Promise Ultra ATA/66 controller card) will handle
    the WD 120 gig hard drive. Western Digital Company says that the HD
    interface specification is DMA/ATA-100 (Ultra)for the 120GB HD.
    However, the Promise packaging for Ultra ATA/66 says it will support
    drive capacities up to 128GB. So, I'm not sure.
    Any opinions welcomed/appreciated.
    Gibby

    Gibby, Feb 9, 2005
  11. Joel Mosher

    Robert Akins Guest

    The WD 120GB ATA/UDMA100 drive will operate on the Ultra66 controller. The
    drive and the controller will have a conversation, and the drive will find
    out that the controller only accepts data at UDMA66, and will fall back to
    that speed. Just as if you connected a UDMA66 drive to the 2013's onboard
    IDE UDMA33 controller. It wouldn't hurt to look on Promise's website, if
    there are any known incompatible drives they should have a mention
    somewhere.
    Robert

    Robert Akins, Feb 10, 2005
  12. Joel Mosher

    Gibby Guest

    Hi Robert;
    I set it up yesterday, without any problems. Tried to follow your
    installation recommendations. Western Digital supplies a CD that serves
    to format the 120GB HD to the max.
    Also, they make it easy to transfer the files from one HD to the
    other.
    Take care,
    Gibby
    Gibby, Feb 11, 2005