Big problem with uninstall of ATI drivers

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Guest, Nov 18, 2011.

  1. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Win 7 64-bit
    FirePro V7800

    All win patches.

    I was trying to do a clean install of the latest FirePro graphics
    drivers.

    During uninstall I got a Win crash. It rebooted, with the drivers
    intact. On the second uninstall try the uninstall claimed to have
    finished and required a reboot. I got a win crash before the bios
    screen. Then on reboot Win would crash before getting to the login
    screen.

    The uninstall would not work in Safe Mode, as I guess it uses the
    Windows install package.

    I finally got back into windows by uninstalling the video card in
    the device manager, then installed the latest drivers.

    However this is not the clean install I was trying for (due to
    different issues with Spyder 3 color calibration).

    Anyone have ideas about how to proceed to get to a clean install?
    How about the latest version of Driver Sweeper? I had used that
    in the past but only after a driver uninstall to sweep out the
    vestiges. Will it work from scratch? Or should I try to do the
    driver uninstall from the device manager?

    Thanks in advance,

    --
    Andrew Hall
    (Now reading Usenet in alt.sys.pc-clone.dell...)

    Guest, Nov 18, 2011

  2. Guest

    Glenn K Guest

    On 11/18/2011 4:57 PM, wrote:

    > Win 7 64-bit
    > FirePro V7800
    >
    > All win patches.
    >
    > I was trying to do a clean install of the latest FirePro graphics
    > drivers.
    >
    > During uninstall I got a Win crash. It rebooted, with the drivers
    > intact. On the second uninstall try the uninstall claimed to have
    > finished and required a reboot. I got a win crash before the bios
    > screen. Then on reboot Win would crash before getting to the login
    > screen.
    >
    > The uninstall would not work in Safe Mode, as I guess it uses the
    > Windows install package.
    >
    > I finally got back into windows by uninstalling the video card in
    > the device manager, then installed the latest drivers.
    >
    > However this is not the clean install I was trying for (due to
    > different issues with Spyder 3 color calibration).
    >
    > Anyone have ideas about how to proceed to get to a clean install?
    > How about the latest version of Driver Sweeper? I had used that
    > in the past but only after a driver uninstall to sweep out the
    > vestiges. Will it work from scratch? Or should I try to do the
    > driver uninstall from the device manager?
    >
    > Thanks in advance,

    REvo uninstaller ?

    Glenn K, Nov 18, 2011

  3. Guest

    Bob_Villa Guest

    On Nov 18, 3:57 pm, <> wrote:
    > Win 7 64-bit
    > FirePro V7800
    >
    > All win patches.
    >
    > I was trying to do a clean install of the latest FirePro graphics
    > drivers.
    >
    > During uninstall I got a Win crash.  It rebooted, with the drivers
    > intact.  On the second uninstall try the uninstall claimed to have
    > finished and required a reboot.  I got a win crash before the bios
    > screen.  Then on reboot Win would crash before getting to the login
    > screen.
    >
    > The uninstall would not work in Safe Mode, as I guess it uses the
    > Windows install package.
    >
    > I finally got back into windows by uninstalling the video card in
    > the device manager, then installed the latest drivers.
    >
    > However this is not the clean install I was trying for (due to
    > different issues with Spyder 3 color calibration).
    >
    > Anyone have ideas about how to proceed to get to a clean install?
    > How about the latest version of Driver Sweeper?  I had used that
    > in the past but only after a driver uninstall to sweep out the
    > vestiges.  Will it work from scratch?  Or should I try to do the
    > driver uninstall from the device manager?
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    >
    > --
    > Andrew Hall
    > (Now reading Usenet in alt.sys.pc-clone.dell...)

    ATI will sometimes say they have a new "driver" when all it is relates
    to their control panel junk. That happened to me last time and the
    actual driver was the same release date that I already had. Beware of
    their BS!

    Bob_Villa, Nov 18, 2011