BIOS POST Code "FF" on Tiger K8W?

Discussion in 'Tyan' started by Tony Neumann, Mar 18, 2005.

  1. Tony Neumann

    Tony Neumann Guest

    Hi,

    what does the BIOS POST Code "FF" mean on Tyan Tiger K8W (S2875)
    mainboards?

    Some days ago my Radeon 9600 Pro started to flicker now and then.
    Unplugging the monitor-cable and reattaching seemed to resolve
    the issue.
    But yesterday after some hours the screen went completely blank
    without a warning. So I thought the Radeon might be defective.
    I installed an old Voodoo 3 PCI graphics card to check what is
    still functional. Surprisingly the Windows XP Hardware-Manager
    as well as the Linux tools (lspci and alike) still seemed to
    properly recognize the Radeon so I supposed it was not totally
    defictive at all. I even could start XFree86 using the Radeon but
    the screen stayed black. The Radeon was removed and I wanted to
    use the Voodoo 3 card until I could get the Radeon repaired or get
    a replacement card.

    But when I switched the computer on today it did only show a blank
    screen on the Voodoo 3 Card, too. Even worse it does neither beep
    nor boot. So I removed everything but the power supply, one of the
    two Opteron 240 and the graphics card. Two other power supplies were
    tested, too, but the screen stays black.

    Normally the mainboars shows its current state on a small two-
    digit display on the mainboard so one can tell what is wrong by
    looking into the user manual's appendix where all the hex-codes are
    listed.

    But in this case the mainboard keeps showing a "FF" BIOS POST Code
    right from the start and does not run throught any other states
    like normal. One more thing is that it now simply ignores the power-
    switch attached to the mainboard. As soon as the power-supply is
    switched on, the board does power up and activate all fans. But
    that's it - switching power on, showing "FF" and nothing else
    happens.

    Now the "FF" code seems to be the only one not documented in the
    user manual so I do not know what went wrong.

    If anyone knows if this is a known issue that can be resolved, please
    help.

    Regards,
    Tony
    Tony Neumann, Mar 18, 2005