BIOS v2.7 for NF7-S v2.0 - Can't enter BIOS after flash

Discussion in 'Abit' started by OaM, Dec 6, 2004.

  1. OaM

    OaM Guest

    Hi dear Abit users community!

    I downloaded the latest v2.7 BIOS from Abit and flashed it to my board.
    It went fine, I used a bootdisk and the runme.bat Abit provided. No
    errors anywhere.

    But now when I press DEL in bootup to enter BIOS setup I only get a
    black screen with a blue line in bottom. I can not enter the setup.

    If I let the PC to go on with the bootup it sets the CPU speed to
    1000Mhz and complains about wrong settings in BIOS. But to correct them
    I would need to enter BIOS... which I cannot do like I described.

    For the record, also the v2.6 BIOS does this to me. The v2.5 BIOS is the
    last one that works perfectly, with it I can wenter BIOS setup.

    Where would You suggest I look for solution?

    Thanks,
    Oam
    OaM, Dec 6, 2004

  2. "OaM" <> wrote in message
    > I downloaded the latest v2.7 BIOS from Abit and flashed it to my
    > board...
    >
    > But now when I press DEL in bootup to enter BIOS setup I only get
    > a black screen with a blue line in bottom. I can not enter the setup.

    Two things to check here:

    Firstly, reset the CMOS with the jumper if you didn't do so after the BIOS
    flash, then see if there's any difference.

    If that doesn't help, the most likely cause will be electrical noise from
    one of the fans you've got connected to the motherboard crashing the system
    monitor chip. Starting with the CPU fan, either connect the fan direct to
    one of the PSU plugs, or remove its RPM monitoring lead from the plug before
    reconnecting it to the motherboard. Try restarting the system after changing
    each fan and you'll soon find which is responsible for the problem.
    --

    Richard Hopkins
    Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom

    Richard Hopkins, Dec 6, 2004

  3. OaM

    0_Qed Guest

    OaM wrote:
    ....snip...
    > Where would You suggest I look for solution?

    Open 'RTFM' , ID the CMOS clear jumper location ...
    open case, "apply" same for 20 secs +\-, =replace= cmos jumper ...
    reboot & retry CMOS entry.

    'This' aughta get you the default parm set ,
    redo back to your original cmos set up .

    ?Sounds? like your stored CMOS 'parms' changed locations, a bit ...
    old ones 'showing' up where they aughtn.

    The 'blue line' was also symptomatic of the cpu fan 'pulse' interfering
    with video ... remove same, apply about 3 twists per inch of cbl,
    attempt to re_route around edge of mobo ... away from vid signals ...
    or ...
    apply the split core gizzmo that may have shipped with the mobo ...
    2 to 3 wraps, assemble split core.

    Qed.
    0_Qed, Dec 6, 2004
  4. OaM

    Joe Guest

    When you are resetting the CMOS it dosent hurt to turn off your power supply
    and pull the power cord plug from the back before resetting. On occasion
    these few extra steps have made a difference.

    "Richard Hopkins" <> wrote in message
    > "OaM" <> wrote in message
    >> I downloaded the latest v2.7 BIOS from Abit and flashed it to my
    >> board...
    >>
    >> But now when I press DEL in bootup to enter BIOS setup I only get
    >> a black screen with a blue line in bottom. I can not enter the setup.

    > Two things to check here:
    >
    > Firstly, reset the CMOS with the jumper if you didn't do so after the BIOS
    > flash, then see if there's any difference.

    <snip>
    Joe, Dec 8, 2004
  5. OaM

    OaM Guest

    > Open 'RTFM' , ID the CMOS clear jumper location ...
    > open case, "apply" same for 20 secs +\-, =replace= cmos jumper ...
    > reboot & retry CMOS entry.

    I did that, I just failed to mention it. So this was not the problem.

    > The 'blue line' was also symptomatic of the cpu fan 'pulse' interfering
    > with video ... remove same, apply about 3 twists per inch of cbl,
    > attempt to re_route around edge of mobo ... away from vid signals ...
    > or ...
    > apply the split core gizzmo that may have shipped with the mobo ...
    > 2 to 3 wraps, assemble split core.
    >
    > Qed.

    This was the reason I believe. The CPU fan. I changed the fans speed and
    put the power chord to a different connector in mobo. Now the problem is
    gone.

    Btw, what is a split core gizzmo?? :)

    thanks,
    Oam
    OaM, Dec 11, 2004
  6. OaM

    Wblane Guest

    Isn't the split-core gizmo just an inductor? As such I guess it would greatly
    reduce any voltage spikes on the line?

    Wblane, Dec 17, 2004