    http://www.biostar.com.tw/products/mainboard/board.php3?name=M6VLR

    Thanks,

    MC

    Moderately Confused, Apr 12, 2004

  2. Moderately Confused

    Jim Guest

    If the mobo voltages are alterable, it will be via jumpers and/or the BIOS.
    A quick glance of the manual shows neither option.

    The only hope is a "voltage mod", which is sometimes done by the enthusiasts
    crowd. Of course, this involves physically altering the mobo w/ resistors,
    soldering, etc.! Not for the faint hearted. And mostly reserved for
    popular, high-end mobo's anyway (iow, such a mod probably doesn't exist for
    your mobo).

    Short of these options, I don't know any other.

    HTH

    Jim

    "Moderately Confused" <> wrote in message
    > Ok, so I know it's not the best board in the world, but its worked for me

    so
    > far, and its been pretty stable. I'm running a PIII 800 Mhz chip in it

    and
    > I've managed to get it to run stable at 915 Mhz. My question is, is there

    > way to change the voltage with a Biostar mobo? I've been through all of

    the

    Jim, Apr 13, 2004

  3. Jim wrote:

    > If the mobo voltages are alterable, it will be via jumpers and/or the BIOS.
    > A quick glance of the manual shows neither option.
    >
    > The only hope is a "voltage mod", which is sometimes done by the enthusiasts
    > crowd. Of course, this involves physically altering the mobo w/ resistors,
    > soldering, etc.! Not for the faint hearted. And mostly reserved for
    > popular, high-end mobo's anyway (iow, such a mod probably doesn't exist for
    > your mobo).
    >
    > Short of these options, I don't know any other.

    The safest way is by jumpering the VID pins on the processor itself.

    The method I use it to strip a single wire from a ribbon cable and use a
    safety pin to punch holes though it, making sure it goes through the center
    of the wire bundle (not a trivial exercise). You then push the wire onto
    the desired pins.

    It's non destructive, if you don't slip and bend a pin, and
    removable/modifiable.

    You can only tie a pin to ground that way (would have to break or insulate
    a pin to get a high), so not all voltage choices are available but there's
    usually one close enough.

    David Maynard, Apr 13, 2004
  4. "David Maynard" <> wrote in message
    > Jim wrote:
    >
    > > If the mobo voltages are alterable, it will be via jumpers and/or the

    BIOS.
    > > A quick glance of the manual shows neither option.
    > >
    > > The only hope is a "voltage mod", which is sometimes done by the

    enthusiasts
    > > crowd. Of course, this involves physically altering the mobo w/

    resistors,
    > > soldering, etc.! Not for the faint hearted. And mostly reserved for
    > > popular, high-end mobo's anyway (iow, such a mod probably doesn't exist

    for
    > > your mobo).
    > >
    > > Short of these options, I don't know any other.

    > The safest way is by jumpering the VID pins on the processor itself.
    >
    > The method I use it to strip a single wire from a ribbon cable and use a
    > safety pin to punch holes though it, making sure it goes through the

    center
    > of the wire bundle (not a trivial exercise). You then push the wire onto
    > the desired pins.
    >
    > It's non destructive, if you don't slip and bend a pin, and
    > removable/modifiable.
    >
    > You can only tie a pin to ground that way (would have to break or insulate
    > a pin to get a high), so not all voltage choices are available but there's
    > usually one close enough.
    >

    > > HTH
    > >
    > > Jim
    > >

    > > "Moderately Confused" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > >>Ok, so I know it's not the best board in the world, but its worked for

    me

    > > so
    > >
    > >>far, and its been pretty stable. I'm running a PIII 800 Mhz chip in it

    > > and
    > >
    > >>I've managed to get it to run stable at 915 Mhz. My question is, is

    there

    > >>way to change the voltage with a Biostar mobo? I've been through all of

    > > the
    > >
    > >>settings in the bios and the only thing I could find is the FSB. I also
    > >>don't see any jumpers on the board itself.
    > >>
    > >>Here is a link to the site:
    > >>http://www.biostar.com.tw/products/mainboard/board.php3?name=M6VLR
    > >>
    > >>Thanks,
    > >>
    > >>MC

    Thanks all, I guess I'll have to settle for what I've got for now.

    MC

    Moderately Confused, Apr 13, 2004