Biostar M7VIG accept an AMD Sempron 2800+?

Discussion in 'Biostar' started by Mobo Newbie, Nov 23, 2004.

  1. Mobo Newbie

    Mobo Newbie Guest

    The Biostar M7VIG with VIA KM266 Chipset accepts Socket A processors.
    I've got an AMD Duron 1.3GHz processor in there today.

    Does anyone think the Sempron 2800+ (Socket A) would work ok?

    I've read the Sempron 2800+ is an Athlon XP with less cache.

    Biostar archives show the Athlon XP as supported, but not the new
    Sempron:
    http://www.biostar.com.tw/support/cpu/a_socket_a.php3

    The Sempron 2800+ operates at 2.0GHz, which is faster than the Athlon
    XP 2600+ (1.3GHz):
    http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/ProductInformation/0,,30_118_11599_11604,00.html

    Is putting this faster CPU on this motherboard going to burn it up?

    Thank you for any advice,
    Eric

    1. Advertising

  2. KURIAKI

    KURIAKI Guest

    There are not BIOS updates for support it:
    http://www.biostar.com.tw/support/bios/bios.php3?model=M7VIG

    --
    Desde Cancun, Mexico
    KURIAKI

    45,586 BIOS strings in my database
    BIOS Support: http://www.supportbios.info/Default2.asp?Idioma=EN

    "Mobo Newbie" <> wrote in message news:...
    > The Biostar M7VIG with VIA KM266 Chipset accepts Socket A processors.
    > I've got an AMD Duron 1.3GHz processor in there today.
    >
    > Does anyone think the Sempron 2800+ (Socket A) would work ok?
    >
    > I've read the Sempron 2800+ is an Athlon XP with less cache.
    >
    > Biostar archives show the Athlon XP as supported, but not the new
    > Sempron:
    > http://www.biostar.com.tw/support/cpu/a_socket_a.php3
    >
    > The Sempron 2800+ operates at 2.0GHz, which is faster than the Athlon
    > XP 2600+ (1.3GHz):
    > http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/ProductInformation/0,,30_118_11599_11604,00.html
    >
    > Is putting this faster CPU on this motherboard going to burn it up?
    >
    > Thank you for any advice,
    > Eric

    1. Advertising

  3. Wes Newell

    Wes Newell Guest

    On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 20:44:33 -0800, Mobo Newbie wrote:

    > The Biostar M7VIG with VIA KM266 Chipset accepts Socket A processors.
    > I've got an AMD Duron 1.3GHz processor in there today.
    >
    > Does anyone think the Sempron 2800+ (Socket A) would work ok?

    Yes, but not at max speed. Don't get a Sempron for this board (or any
    other socket A Sempron for that matter)

    > I've read the Sempron 2800+ is an Athlon XP with less cache.

    See Sempron in link in sig line.

    > Biostar archives show the Athlon XP as supported, but not the new
    > Sempron:
    > http://www.biostar.com.tw/support/cpu/a_socket_a.php3
    >
    > The Sempron 2800+ operates at 2.0GHz, which is faster than the Athlon XP
    > 2600+ (1.3GHz):

    This is not right, The athlon XP 2400+ has a default of 2.0GHz. The 2600+
    is faster.

    > Is putting this faster CPU on this motherboard going to burn it up?

    No.

    it's ver important you see Sempron in link below. And reading everything
    on the site wouldn't hurt.