BIOSTAR N4SLI-A9 Won't Power Up

Discussion in 'Biostar' started by gary.huntress@gmail.com, Jan 15, 2006.

  1. Guest

    My sons friend bought a biostar n4sli-a9 along with a new case, cpu,
    mem and vid card. He physically put everything together and has been
    unable to get it to power up. He's asked me for help and I'm stuck.
    Here's the details.

    The case he bought had the wrong power supply, 20 pin instead of 24.
    I know he tried to power it up at least once. I tend to doubt this
    fried anything, but you never know

    He got a correct 24 pin (plus 4 pin aux) power supply and put that in
    with no luck. No fans no lights, nothing. The power supply fan does
    not come on at all.

    He brought it to me for help. I unplugged everything and inspected
    his connections. He attached the mobo to the case using 4 screws with
    insulators on the top but nothing on the bottom. This meant that the
    mobo had no standoffs from the bottom of the case. The edge away from
    the back of the case was definitely flexing, but not too much really.
    I doubt this was enough to physically crack the board but it's possible
    that he may have been grounding out something on the bottom.

    I took the mobo completely out of the case, connected the 24 main power
    and the 4 pin aux power, and plugged in the power supply....nothing.
    I also unplugged the mobo and ran the power supply totally
    bare.....nothing!!

    Did he fry a brand new 400 watt PS *and* his mobo?? This seems
    unlikely, but how can I troubleshoot this??

    Thanks for any help. This was the kids man xmas present this year and
    he's really bummed out!!

    Gary

    , Jan 15, 2006

  2. Wes Newell Guest

    On Sun, 15 Jan 2006 09:09:08 -0800, wrote:

    > My sons friend bought a biostar n4sli-a9 along with a new case, cpu,
    > mem and vid card. He physically put everything together and has been
    > unable to get it to power up. He's asked me for help and I'm stuck.
    > Here's the details.
    >
    > The case he bought had the wrong power supply, 20 pin instead of 24.
    > I know he tried to power it up at least once. I tend to doubt this
    > fried anything, but you never know

    This wouldn't do any harm at all, unless he plugged the 20 pin connector
    at the wrong end. Then there's no telling what might have happened.

    > He got a correct 24 pin (plus 4 pin aux) power supply and put that in
    > with no luck. No fans no lights, nothing. The power supply fan does
    > not come on at all.

    Not a good sign.

    > He brought it to me for help. I unplugged everything and inspected
    > his connections. He attached the mobo to the case using 4 screws with
    > insulators on the top but nothing on the bottom. This meant that the
    > mobo had no standoffs from the bottom of the case. The edge away from
    > the back of the case was definitely flexing, but not too much really. I
    > doubt this was enough to physically crack the board but it's possible
    > that he may have been grounding out something on the bottom.

    I had one guy do this and it didn't kill anything, but I was really amazed
    it didn't blow everything with all the pins shorting on the case. Maybe
    your friend wasn't so lucky.

    > I took the mobo completely out of the case, connected the 24 main power
    > and the 4 pin aux power, and plugged in the power supply....nothing. I
    > also unplugged the mobo and ran the power supply totally
    > bare.....nothing!!

    And you're sure you shorted the power pins on the MB to start it?

    > Did he fry a brand new 400 watt PS *and* his mobo?? This seems
    > unlikely, but how can I troubleshoot this??

    A 400W PSU may be too weak. Suggest 500W minimum.

    > Thanks for any help. This was the kids man xmas present this year and
    > he's really bummed out!!

    I can imagine. Are you sure he has the right cpu in it?

    Wes Newell, Jan 15, 2006

  3. andrew C. Guest

    remove all card from mainboard and then try it, sounds like you might have a
    bad card in that agp or pci express slot!!!if that dont work the try another
    power supply.

    andrew C., Feb 21, 2006