    | \/ |@rk
    \../
    \/os
    Linea Recta, May 21, 2010

  2. Linea Recta

    BillW50 Guest

    In news:4bf6d115$0$22933$4all.nl,
    Linea Recta typed on Fri, 21 May 2010 20:29:40 +0200:
    > I wonder, is there some clip on the market for blinding the webcam on
    > a laptop? Never seen anything of the sort though and I don't have
    > time to make one myself.
    > On the desktop I have a Logitech webcam which is equipped with a sort
    > of spectacle which moves over the lens when the cam is not in use.
    > This ensures prevention of spying.

    On four of mine, the built in webcam has a green light. Thus you know
    when it is on or off. Nobody can see you when the light is off. Does
    yours have a light too?

    --
    Bill
    Gateway M465e ('06 era) - Windows XP SP3
    BillW50, May 21, 2010

  3. Linea Recta

    Linea Recta Guest

    "BillW50" <> schreef in bericht
    > In news:4bf6d115$0$22933$4all.nl,
    > Linea Recta typed on Fri, 21 May 2010 20:29:40 +0200:
    >> I wonder, is there some clip on the market for blinding the webcam on
    >> a laptop? Never seen anything of the sort though and I don't have
    >> time to make one myself.
    >> On the desktop I have a Logitech webcam which is equipped with a sort
    >> of spectacle which moves over the lens when the cam is not in use.
    >> This ensures prevention of spying.

    > On four of mine, the built in webcam has a green light. Thus you know when
    > it is on or off. Nobody can see you when the light is off. Does yours have
    > a light too?

    Indeed it has. (So has the Logitech webcam). But still, the led light on the
    laptop is very tiny and barely visible in broad daylight. Besides, one never
    knows what software tricks are going to be played, disabling the green light
    etc. So I need a physical solution. You might call it paranoid?

    --
    regards,

    |\ /|
    | \/ |@rk
    \../
    \/os
    Linea Recta, May 21, 2010
  4. Linea Recta

    BillW50 Guest

    In news:4bf6e327$0$22937$4all.nl,
    Linea Recta typed on Fri, 21 May 2010 21:46:43 +0200:
    > "BillW50" <> schreef in bericht
    >> In news:4bf6d115$0$22933$4all.nl,
    >> Linea Recta typed on Fri, 21 May 2010 20:29:40 +0200:
    >>> I wonder, is there some clip on the market for blinding the webcam
    >>> on a laptop? Never seen anything of the sort though and I don't have
    >>> time to make one myself.
    >>> On the desktop I have a Logitech webcam which is equipped with a
    >>> sort of spectacle which moves over the lens when the cam is not in
    >>> use. This ensures prevention of spying.

    >> On four of mine, the built in webcam has a green light. Thus you
    >> know when it is on or off. Nobody can see you when the light is off.
    >> Does yours have a light too?

    > Indeed it has. (So has the Logitech webcam). But still, the led light
    > on the laptop is very tiny and barely visible in broad daylight.
    > Besides, one never knows what software tricks are going to be played,
    > disabling the green light etc. So I need a physical solution. You
    > might call it paranoid?

    Yes I understand. My ex-GF wanted me to leave mine on all of the time.
    And I would throw a towel over my webcam when I was going to take a
    shower. lol

    BillW50, May 21, 2010
  5. Linea Recta

    TJ Guest

    lol
    TJ, May 21, 2010
  6. In article <4bf6e327$0$22937$4all.nl>,
    Linea Recta <> wrote:

    >Indeed it has. (So has the Logitech webcam). But still, the led light on the
    >laptop is very tiny and barely visible in broad daylight. Besides, one never
    >knows what software tricks are going to be played, disabling the green light
    >etc. So I need a physical solution. You might call it paranoid?

    A bit of duct tape over the lens?

    --
    Rich Greenberg N Ft Myers, FL, USA richgr atsign panix.com + 1 239 543 1353
    Canines:Val, Red, Shasta & Casey (RIP), Red & Zero, Siberians Owner:Chinook-L
    Rich Greenberg, May 22, 2010
  7. Linea Recta

    Linea Recta Guest

    "Rich Greenberg" <> schreef in bericht
    > In article <4bf6e327$0$22937$4all.nl>,
    > Linea Recta <> wrote:
    >
    >>Indeed it has. (So has the Logitech webcam). But still, the led light on
    >>the
    >>laptop is very tiny and barely visible in broad daylight. Besides, one
    >>never
    >>knows what software tricks are going to be played, disabling the green
    >>light
    >>etc. So I need a physical solution. You might call it paranoid?

    > A bit of duct tape over the lens?

    I don't like that solution very much. It may become very hard to clean the
    lens later on.

    --
    regards,

    |\ /|
    | \/ |@rk
    \../
    \/os
    Linea Recta, May 22, 2010
  8. Linea Recta

    P.V. Guest

    "Linea Recta" <> kirjoitti
    viestissä:4bf8076c$0$22938$4all.nl...
    >> A bit of duct tape over the lens?
    >>

    > I don't like that solution very much. It may become very hard to clean the
    > lens later on.

    I was going to suggest tape too, though masking tape, but decided not to
    because on a second thought it didn't sound like a very cool idea... Anyway,
    a tape-based solution would work for me -- on my laptop the lens is so deep
    in a hole that tape would never touch it.

    If on your laptop the lens is more vulnerable you could tear or cut a small
    (meaning something like fingernail-sized) piece of paper or screen-cleaning
    cloth, stick it on the tape, and then place the tape on the camera the piece
    of paper or cloth facing the lens.

    P.V.
    P.V., May 22, 2010
  9. Linea Recta

    BillW50 Guest

    In news:4bf8076c$0$22938$4all.nl,
    Linea Recta typed on Sat, 22 May 2010 18:33:44 +0200:
    > "Rich Greenberg" <> schreef in bericht
    >> In article <4bf6e327$0$22937$4all.nl>,
    >> Linea Recta <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Indeed it has. (So has the Logitech webcam). But still, the led
    >>> light on the laptop is very tiny and barely visible in broad
    >>> daylight. Besides, one never knows what software tricks are going to
    >>> be played, disabling the green light etc. So I need a physical
    >>> solution. You might call it paranoid?

    >> A bit of duct tape over the lens?

    > I don't like that solution very much. It may become very hard to
    > clean the lens later on.

    How about one of those small clips they sell in grocery stores and such
    to reclose snack bags?

    BillW50, May 22, 2010
  10. Linea Recta

    ps56k Guest

    "Linea Recta" <> wrote in message

    > "BillW50" <> schreef in bericht
    >> In news:4bf6d115$0$22933$4all.nl,
    >> Linea Recta typed on Fri, 21 May 2010 20:29:40 +0200:
    >>> I wonder, is there some clip on the market for blinding the webcam on
    >>> a laptop? Never seen anything of the sort though and I don't have
    >>> time to make one myself.
    >>> On the desktop I have a Logitech webcam which is equipped with a sort
    >>> of spectacle which moves over the lens when the cam is not in use.
    >>> This ensures prevention of spying.

    >> On four of mine, the built in webcam has a green light. Thus you know
    >> when it is on or off. Nobody can see you when the light is off. Does
    >> yours have a light too?
    >>

    > Indeed it has. (So has the Logitech webcam). But still, the led light on
    > the laptop is very tiny and barely visible in broad daylight. Besides, one
    > never knows what software tricks are going to be played, disabling the
    > green light etc. So I need a physical solution. You might call it
    > paranoid?

    duh - a small piece of masking, electrical, painter tape over the lens -
    ps56k, May 22, 2010
  11. Linea Recta

    Adrian C Guest

    On 21/05/2010 19:29, Linea Recta wrote:
    > On the desktop I have a Logitech webcam which is equipped with a sort of
    > spectacle which moves over the lens when the cam is not in use. This ensures
    > prevention of spying.

    It should be possible to disable the driver in a hardware profile. Just
    take care to select the right one when you boot.

    Or, yeah duct tape...

    --
    Adrian C
    Adrian C, May 24, 2010
  12. Linea Recta

    Linea Recta Guest

    Re: blinding webcam - and more

    "Linea Recta" <> schreef in bericht
    >I wonder, is there some clip on the market for blinding the webcam on a
    >laptop? Never seen anything of the sort though and I don't have time to
    >make one myself.
    > On the desktop I have a Logitech webcam which is equipped with a sort of
    > spectacle which moves over the lens when the cam is not in use. This
    > ensures prevention of spying.

    Come to think of it: how about the mic? Microphone does not have an
    indicator led, so it can easily be misused by spies...

    --
    regards,

    |\ /|
    | \/ |@rk
    \../
    \/os
    Linea Recta, May 26, 2010
  13. Linea Recta

    BillW50 Guest

    Re: blinding webcam - and more

    In news:4bfd68cc$0$22934$4all.nl,
    Linea Recta typed on Wed, 26 May 2010 20:30:33 +0200:
    > "Linea Recta" <> schreef in bericht
    >> I wonder, is there some clip on the market for blinding the webcam
    >> on a laptop? Never seen anything of the sort though and I don't have
    >> time to make one myself.
    >> On the desktop I have a Logitech webcam which is equipped with a
    >> sort of spectacle which moves over the lens when the cam is not in
    >> use. This ensures prevention of spying.

    > Come to think of it: how about the mic? Microphone does not have an
    > indicator led, so it can easily be misused by spies...

    Yes indeed. And the next time you are using the flash player in your
    browser, right click on it and check your privacy settings. It might
    have the mic and the webcam set to allow. If so, Adobe can see and hear
    you whenever they want too.

    Most cell phones the phone companies have the same ability. Whether you
    are on a call or not. So they can listen in anytime they want too. Law
    enforcement uses this little trick to listen in on the bad guys.
    Supposedly they can listen in even if the phone is off. The only way
    around this is to pull the battery out.

    BillW50, May 27, 2010
  14. Linea Recta

    John Doue Guest

    Re: blinding webcam - and more

    On 5/27/2010 2:24 PM, BillW50 wrote:
    > In news:4bfd68cc$0$22934$4all.nl,
    > Linea Recta typed on Wed, 26 May 2010 20:30:33 +0200:
    >> "Linea Recta"<> schreef in bericht
    >>> I wonder, is there some clip on the market for blinding the webcam
    >>> on a laptop? Never seen anything of the sort though and I don't have
    >>> time to make one myself.
    >>> On the desktop I have a Logitech webcam which is equipped with a
    >>> sort of spectacle which moves over the lens when the cam is not in
    >>> use. This ensures prevention of spying.

    >> Come to think of it: how about the mic? Microphone does not have an
    >> indicator led, so it can easily be misused by spies...

    > Yes indeed. And the next time you are using the flash player in your
    > browser, right click on it and check your privacy settings. It might
    > have the mic and the webcam set to allow. If so, Adobe can see and hear
    > you whenever they want too.
    >
    > Most cell phones the phone companies have the same ability. Whether you
    > are on a call or not. So they can listen in anytime they want too. Law
    > enforcement uses this little trick to listen in on the bad guys.
    > Supposedly they can listen in even if the phone is off. The only way
    > around this is to pull the battery out.

    Hi Bill, I guess that with VoIP, it must be even worse ... Personally, I
    do not worry too much about this, but in a sensitive business
    environment, this should be kept in mind.

    Even with the battery out, ... think how custom officer scan passports
    in some countries. Denmark for instance ... I was surprised some time
    ago to realize lots of people did not stop to show their passport ...
    until I realized they were automatically scanned because of an embedded
    chip in the passport.

    Unbeknownst to the user, a SIM card could be scanned the same way if the
    scanner is close enough.
    --
    John Doue
    John Doue, May 27, 2010
  15. Linea Recta

    BillW50 Guest

    Re: blinding webcam - and more

    In news:htlpiv$nl3$,
    John Doue typed on Thu, 27 May 2010 15:46:26 +0300:
    > On 5/27/2010 2:24 PM, BillW50 wrote:
    >> In news:4bfd68cc$0$22934$4all.nl,
    >> Linea Recta typed on Wed, 26 May 2010 20:30:33 +0200:
    >>> "Linea Recta"<> schreef in bericht
    >>>
    >>> Come to think of it: how about the mic? Microphone does not have an
    >>> indicator led, so it can easily be misused by spies...

    >> Yes indeed. And the next time you are using the flash player in your
    >> browser, right click on it and check your privacy settings. It might
    >> have the mic and the webcam set to allow. If so, Adobe can see and
    >> hear you whenever they want too.
    >>
    >> Most cell phones the phone companies have the same ability. Whether
    >> you are on a call or not. So they can listen in anytime they want
    >> too. Law enforcement uses this little trick to listen in on the bad
    >> guys. Supposedly they can listen in even if the phone is off. The
    >> only way around this is to pull the battery out.
    >>

    > Hi Bill, I guess that with VoIP, it must be even worse ...
    > Personally, I do not worry too much about this, but in a sensitive
    > business environment, this should be kept in mind.
    >
    > Even with the battery out, ... think how custom officer scan passports
    > in some countries. Denmark for instance ... I was surprised some time
    > ago to realize lots of people did not stop to show their passport ...
    > until I realized they were automatically scanned because of an
    > embedded chip in the passport.
    >
    > Unbeknownst to the user, a SIM card could be scanned the same way if
    > the scanner is close enough.

    Yes it is probably true of VoIP. And how those chips work without power
    is the reading device puts out a radio signal and the chip converts this
    into a power source to operate the chip. So that is how they work. So
    far cell phones can't be operated in this way yet without having a
    battery too.

    The reason Adobe gave for having the ability to control your mic and
    webcam was for marketing purposes. For example if they hear a dog
    barking in the background, they can use that to popup dog advertisements
    on your browser. AFAIK, they haven't used this technology yet. But the
    ability is still there anyway.

    And I too don't freak out about all of this. I guess it is because I am
    probably too boring to be under surveillance anyway. And I really don't
    do anything exciting that I don't want others to know about. But it is
    somewhat disturbing how fast our privacy seems to be disappearing.

    BillW50, May 27, 2010
  16. Linea Recta

    Aaron Guest

    > I wonder, is there some clip on the market for blinding the webcam on a
    > laptop? Never seen anything of the sort though and I don't have time to make
    > one myself.
    > On the desktop I have a Logitech webcam which is equipped with a sort of
    > spectacle which moves over the lens when the cam is not in use. This ensures
    > prevention of spying.

    A piece of aluminum foil bent in a U-shape to cover the lens. No tape
    residue and very inexpensive.

    I think the best 'clip' idea is a chip bag closer that someone else
    suggested.

    --

    I'm glad my Mom named me Aaron,
    That's what everybody calls me.
    Aaron, May 28, 2010
  17. Linea Recta

    Linea Recta Guest

    Re: blinding webcam - and more

    "BillW50" <> schreef in bericht
    > In news:4bfd68cc$0$22934$4all.nl,
    > Linea Recta typed on Wed, 26 May 2010 20:30:33 +0200:
    >> "Linea Recta" <> schreef in bericht
    >>> I wonder, is there some clip on the market for blinding the webcam
    >>> on a laptop? Never seen anything of the sort though and I don't have
    >>> time to make one myself.
    >>> On the desktop I have a Logitech webcam which is equipped with a
    >>> sort of spectacle which moves over the lens when the cam is not in
    >>> use. This ensures prevention of spying.

    >> Come to think of it: how about the mic? Microphone does not have an
    >> indicator led, so it can easily be misused by spies...

    > Yes indeed. And the next time you are using the flash player in your
    > browser, right click on it and check your privacy settings. It might have
    > the mic and the webcam set to allow. If so, Adobe can see and hear you
    > whenever they want too.

    These issues could be addressed quite simply if manufacturers provide their
    hardware with a little (inexpensive) slider switch enabling/disabling the
    camera/microphone. This way users know for sure he's in control himself.

    > Most cell phones the phone companies have the same ability. Whether you
    > are on a call or not. So they can listen in anytime they want too. Law
    > enforcement uses this little trick to listen in on the bad guys.
    > Supposedly they can listen in even if the phone is off. The only way
    > around this is to pull the battery out.

    I've never owned a mobile phone but I guess the same solution as above could
    be applied.

    --
    regards,

    |\ /|
    | \/ |@rk
    \../
    \/os
    Linea Recta, May 28, 2010
  18. Linea Recta

    Linea Recta Guest

    "Aaron" <> schreef in bericht
    >> I wonder, is there some clip on the market for blinding the webcam on a
    >> laptop? Never seen anything of the sort though and I don't have time to
    >> make one myself.
    >> On the desktop I have a Logitech webcam which is equipped with a sort of
    >> spectacle which moves over the lens when the cam is not in use. This
    >> ensures prevention of spying.

    > A piece of aluminum foil bent in a U-shape to cover the lens. No tape
    > residue and very inexpensive.

    I think that's a great idea. Foil seems very effective and with no
    disadvantages. Wonder why I didn't figure this out myself!

    --
    regards,

    |\ /|
    | \/ |@rk
    \../
    \/os
    Linea Recta, May 28, 2010
  19. Linea Recta

    BillW50 Guest

    Re: blinding webcam - and more

    On 5/28/2010 7:34 AM, Linea Recta wrote:
    > "BillW50" <> schreef in bericht
    >> In news:4bfd68cc$0$22934$4all.nl,
    >> Linea Recta typed on Wed, 26 May 2010 20:30:33 +0200:
    >>> "Linea Recta" <> schreef in bericht
    >>>
    >>> Come to think of it: how about the mic? Microphone does not have an
    >>> indicator led, so it can easily be misused by spies...

    >> Yes indeed. And the next time you are using the flash player in your
    >> browser, right click on it and check your privacy settings. It might
    >> have the mic and the webcam set to allow. If so, Adobe can see and
    >> hear you whenever they want too.

    > These issues could be addressed quite simply if manufacturers provide
    > their hardware with a little (inexpensive) slider switch
    > enabling/disabling the camera/microphone. This way users know for sure
    > he's in control himself.

    Well I know what you mean. Although I can see why manufactures don't
    want to use switches. As some types are problematic (not all of them).
    Plus manufactures and software developers like controlling switches
    electronically. As software can't flip a manual switch.

    I have been thinking this for days and I had a few thoughts for you. One
    is most BIOS in the setup you can disable the webcam. And as far as I
    know, no software known yet can toggle it back on again. So that should
    be really safe. But it requires a reboot to enable it again and you
    might not like that idea.

    The second plan is disabling it through the Device Manager. Almost no
    software can bypass this and you would be really safe here too. Although
    the BIOS option is safer. Not impossible, but damn near. As a hacker
    would have to know your machine personally to hack into the BIOS.

    The mic? Well no bios setting in any one I ever seen. And nothing in the
    Device Manager to disable. And software can easily change this one for
    sure and turn it on.

    With some luck though, some internal mics are disabled if you plug
    something into the external mic jack. I would test it to see if yours
    does. Even plugging in headphones or ear buds would be okay. But both
    can work as a crummy mic. So test them to make sure they won't pick up
    too well or not at all. Otherwise just a plug without any wires should
    work too.

    I don't know? That is the best I can come up with so far.

    >> Most cell phones the phone companies have the same ability. Whether
    >> you are on a call or not. So they can listen in anytime they want too.
    >> Law enforcement uses this little trick to listen in on the bad guys.
    >> Supposedly they can listen in even if the phone is off. The only way
    >> around this is to pull the battery out.

    > I've never owned a mobile phone but I guess the same solution as above
    > could be applied.

    I used too. But I now live in the middle of nowhere and they don't work
    too well here anyway. As I have to climb a tall tree just to get one
    bar. lol

    --
    Bill
    Thunderbird Portable 3.0 (20091130)
    BillW50, May 28, 2010
  20. Linea Recta

    Linea Recta Guest

    Re: blinding webcam - and more

    "BillW50" <> schreef in bericht
    > On 5/28/2010 7:34 AM, Linea Recta wrote:
    >> "BillW50" <> schreef in bericht
    >>> In news:4bfd68cc$0$22934$4all.nl,
    >>> Linea Recta typed on Wed, 26 May 2010 20:30:33 +0200:

    >>> Yes indeed. And the next time you are using the flash player in your
    >>> browser, right click on it and check your privacy settings. It might
    >>> have the mic and the webcam set to allow. If so, Adobe can see and
    >>> hear you whenever they want too.

    >> These issues could be addressed quite simply if manufacturers provide
    >> their hardware with a little (inexpensive) slider switch
    >> enabling/disabling the camera/microphone. This way users know for sure
    >> he's in control himself.

    > Well I know what you mean. Although I can see why manufactures don't want
    > to use switches. As some types are problematic (not all of them). Plus
    > manufactures and software developers like controlling switches
    > electronically. As software can't flip a manual switch.
    >
    > I have been thinking this for days and I had a few thoughts for you. One
    > is most BIOS in the setup you can disable the webcam. And as far as I
    > know, no software known yet can toggle it back on again. So that should be
    > really safe. But it requires a reboot to enable it again and you might not
    > like that idea.

    In fact the BIOS of my laptop is very spartan with surprising few settings.
    Also there is no webcam setting.

    > The second plan is disabling it through the Device Manager. Almost no
    > software can bypass this and you would be really safe here too. Although
    > the BIOS option is safer. Not impossible, but damn near. As a hacker would
    > have to know your machine personally to hack into the BIOS.
    >
    > The mic? Well no bios setting in any one I ever seen. And nothing in the
    > Device Manager to disable. And software can easily change this one for
    > sure and turn it on.
    >
    > With some luck though, some internal mics are disabled if you plug
    > something into the external mic jack. I would test it to see if yours
    > does. Even plugging in headphones or ear buds would be okay. But both can
    > work as a crummy mic. So test them to make sure they won't pick up too
    > well or not at all. Otherwise just a plug without any wires should work
    > too.

    I think a dummy jack might work (haven't tested yet). When using headphones
    or speakers, I think they actually do work as mic!
    Then, concerning the desktop PC, I have to consider the additional sound
    source of USB webcam, (hard accessible) which has to be pulled out I
    suppose.

    > I don't know? That is the best I can come up with so far.
    >
    >>> Most cell phones the phone companies have the same ability. Whether
    >>> you are on a call or not. So they can listen in anytime they want too.
    >>> Law enforcement uses this little trick to listen in on the bad guys.
    >>> Supposedly they can listen in even if the phone is off. The only way
    >>> around this is to pull the battery out.

    >> I've never owned a mobile phone but I guess the same solution as above
    >> could be applied.

    > I used too. But I now live in the middle of nowhere and they don't work
    > too well here anyway. As I have to climb a tall tree just to get one bar.
    > lol

    Perhaps you could construct an extended antenna?
    If you're in the jungle you could consider shortwave radio, or perhaps
    communication by satellite?

    --
    regards,

    |\ /|