Blue Tooth Acer Aspire 5630, real or not?

Discussion in 'Acer' started by Ralph2, Sep 9, 2007.

  1. Ralph2

    Ralph2 Guest

    My Acer Aspire 5630 - has a Blue Tooth switch that when used brings
    up a message on the screen stating " No Blue Tooth Device". There
    seems to be a lack of, or conflicting information, as to whether this
    model is or is not Blue Tooth enabled.

    Does any one have definitive info on this model, or where to look. One
    reference stated it would be listed in the Device Manager.. not
    Another stated there would be a Blue Tooth logo on the underside, I
    have none that I would recognize as a Blue Tooth symbol.

    I like the idea of a Blue Tooth mouse but am hesitant to spend the
    $60.00 just to find out this model just has a "dummy" switch.

    Any other "this really works good... or not" issues with Blue Tooth...
    head sets for one.

    And slightly on the same subject (switch).. WTF is 3G as in "no 3G
    device"

    Thanks
    Ralph
    Ralph2, Sep 9, 2007

  2. Ralph2

    Ralph2 Guest

    On Sun, 09 Sep 2007 04:37:35 GMT, Ralph2 <>
    wrote:

    >My Acer Aspire 5630 - has a Blue Tooth switch that when used brings
    >up a message on the screen stating " No Blue Tooth Device". There
    >seems to be a lack of, or conflicting information, as to whether this
    >model is or is not Blue Tooth enabled.
    >
    >Does any one have definitive info on this model, or where to look. One
    >reference stated it would be listed in the Device Manager.. not
    >Another stated there would be a Blue Tooth logo on the underside, I
    >have none that I would recognize as a Blue Tooth symbol.
    >
    >I like the idea of a Blue Tooth mouse but am hesitant to spend the
    >$60.00 just to find out this model just has a "dummy" switch.
    >
    >Any other "this really works good... or not" issues with Blue Tooth...
    >head sets for one.
    >
    >And slightly on the same subject (switch).. WTF is 3G as in "no 3G
    >device"
    >
    >Thanks
    >Ralph

    For what it is worth.. From Acer support

    In the group of Aspire 5630's some units have bluetooth and some do
    not. Although there is a button on the notebook for Bluetooth, the
    Aspire 5630 models with serial number starting in LX.AXY0X.078 that
    ship in the US and Canada do not ship with a Bluetooth module on the
    motherboard. Therefore it does not support Bluetooth as it ships. If
    you push the BT button you should see No Device on the screen. In
    order to get Bluetooth, you will need to purchase a third party device
    such as a USB to Bluetooth transceiver, or other external device that
    provides Bluetooth capabilities. These type of devices are available
    at most computer shops that sell options and accessories for notebook
    products. We do not plan to implement an option to install a
    Bluetooth module on the motherboard.
    Ralph2, Sep 14, 2007

  3. Ralph2

    DC Guest

    Ralph2 wrote:
    > On Sun, 09 Sep 2007 04:37:35 GMT, Ralph2 <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> My Acer Aspire 5630 - has a Blue Tooth switch that when used brings
    >> up a message on the screen stating " No Blue Tooth Device". There
    >> seems to be a lack of, or conflicting information, as to whether this
    >> model is or is not Blue Tooth enabled.
    >>
    >> Does any one have definitive info on this model, or where to look. One
    >> reference stated it would be listed in the Device Manager.. not
    >> Another stated there would be a Blue Tooth logo on the underside, I
    >> have none that I would recognize as a Blue Tooth symbol.
    >>
    >> I like the idea of a Blue Tooth mouse but am hesitant to spend the
    >> $60.00 just to find out this model just has a "dummy" switch.
    >>
    >> Any other "this really works good... or not" issues with Blue Tooth...
    >> head sets for one.
    >>
    >> And slightly on the same subject (switch).. WTF is 3G as in "no 3G
    >> device"
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >> Ralph

    > For what it is worth.. From Acer support
    >
    > In the group of Aspire 5630's some units have bluetooth and some do
    > not. Although there is a button on the notebook for Bluetooth, the
    > Aspire 5630 models with serial number starting in LX.AXY0X.078 that
    > ship in the US and Canada do not ship with a Bluetooth module on the
    > motherboard. Therefore it does not support Bluetooth as it ships. If
    > you push the BT button you should see No Device on the screen. In
    > order to get Bluetooth, you will need to purchase a third party device
    > such as a USB to Bluetooth transceiver, or other external device that
    > provides Bluetooth capabilities. These type of devices are available
    > at most computer shops that sell options and accessories for notebook
    > products. We do not plan to implement an option to install a
    > Bluetooth module on the motherboard.

    Another way to check, and much easier, is to simply look on the bottom
    of the computer. If there is a Bluetooth license tag, the computer
    shipped with BT. If the computer does not have the Bluetooth label, it
    did not.
    DC, Oct 20, 2007
  4. Ralph2

    A Nother Guest

    "Ralph2" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 09 Sep 2007 04:37:35 GMT, Ralph2 <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>My Acer Aspire 5630 - has a Blue Tooth switch that when used brings
    >>up a message on the screen stating " No Blue Tooth Device". There
    >>seems to be a lack of, or conflicting information, as to whether this
    >>model is or is not Blue Tooth enabled.
    >>
    >>Does any one have definitive info on this model, or where to look. One
    >>reference stated it would be listed in the Device Manager.. not
    >>Another stated there would be a Blue Tooth logo on the underside, I
    >>have none that I would recognize as a Blue Tooth symbol.
    >>
    >>I like the idea of a Blue Tooth mouse but am hesitant to spend the
    >>$60.00 just to find out this model just has a "dummy" switch.

    You can get a USB Bluetooth dongle for about $7 or and internal one for $30
    for some models - try eBay.
    A Nother, Oct 21, 2007
  5. Ralph2

    Ralph2 Guest

    On Sun, 21 Oct 2007 16:20:28 GMT, "A Nother" <>
    wrote:

    >"Ralph2" <> wrote in message
    >> On Sun, 09 Sep 2007 04:37:35 GMT, Ralph2 <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>My Acer Aspire 5630 - has a Blue Tooth switch that when used brings
    >>>up a message on the screen stating " No Blue Tooth Device". There
    >>>seems to be a lack of, or conflicting information, as to whether this
    >>>model is or is not Blue Tooth enabled.
    >>>
    >>>Does any one have definitive info on this model, or where to look. One
    >>>reference stated it would be listed in the Device Manager.. not
    >>>Another stated there would be a Blue Tooth logo on the underside, I
    >>>have none that I would recognize as a Blue Tooth symbol.
    >>>
    >>>I like the idea of a Blue Tooth mouse but am hesitant to spend the
    >>>$60.00 just to find out this model just has a "dummy" switch.

    >You can get a USB Bluetooth dongle for about $7 or and internal one for $30
    >for some models - try eBay.

    Thanks to all.
    Unfortunately... mine did not ship with Blue Tooth <sigh>
    Ralph2, Oct 22, 2007