bm6 boot after new battery?

Discussion in 'Abit' started by chuck schroeder, Oct 30, 2006.

  1. Bird,

    I've got a new cmos battery installed in my BM6 and time/dates are
    solid, but after saving default settings, the win xp device manager
    says IDE drives are SCCI including the cdrom? The hard drives seem to
    work except the cdrom. I tried uninstall but they came back SCCI. All
    worked OK before the battery change. Any fix suggestions? Thanks!

    Chuck
     
    chuck schroeder, Oct 30, 2006
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. chuck schroeder wrote:
    |
    | Bird,
    |
    | I've got a new cmos battery installed in my BM6 and time/dates
    | are solid, but after saving default settings, the win xp device
    | manager says IDE drives are SCCI including the cdrom? The
    | hard drives seem to work except the cdrom. I tried uninstall but
    | they came back SCCI. All worked OK before the battery change.
    | Any fix suggestions? Thanks!
    |
    | Chuck

    Hi Chuck -

    Few suggestions.

    When you changed your motherboard battery, your CMOS settings, which are
    maintained by the battery when the PSU is shut off, were lost.

    Probably a good idea, just to be safe, to manually clear the CMOS with the
    CCMOS1 jumper (or whatever it is labeled on the BM6) with power again
    removed from the PSU in advance.

    After clearing, restore power and start the system. Reprogram the CMOS
    memory, starting with Load Setup Defaults followed by IDE Hard Disk
    Detection. Afterward, check that your Integrated Peripherals section is set
    up correctly, as well as any other customizations you made to the BIOS.

    Save and Exit and allow Windows to boot normally.

    Check Device Manager. It's entirely possible your IDE devices will still be
    showing as SCSI. This is a quirk with Windows. One way to resolve this is
    to right-click and remove your disk controllers from Device Manager and
    reboot the system. Hopefully the Add Hardware Wizard will sort things out
    when the system reboots to Windows.

    Jef
     
    Bird Janitor®, Oct 31, 2006
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Bird,

    Thanks for the advice and bringing me back to speed. It's been a while
    since I've had to play with this. I discovered that I had loaded
    software ide drivers. After uninstalling them I was back to "IDE"
    drives! Thanks much!

    Chuck

    On Tue, 31 Oct 2006 06:03:26 GMT, "Bird Janitor®"
    <> wrote:

    >chuck schroeder wrote:
    >|
    >| Bird,
    >|
    >| I've got a new cmos battery installed in my BM6 and time/dates
    >| are solid, but after saving default settings, the win xp device
    >| manager says IDE drives are SCCI including the cdrom? The
    >| hard drives seem to work except the cdrom. I tried uninstall but
    >| they came back SCCI. All worked OK before the battery change.
    >| Any fix suggestions? Thanks!
    >|
    >| Chuck
    >
    >
     
    chuck schroeder, Oct 31, 2006
    #3
  4. chuck schroeder wrote:
    |
    | Bird,
    |
    | Thanks for the advice and bringing me back to speed. It's been a
    | while since I've had to play with this. I discovered that I had loaded
    | software ide drivers. After uninstalling them I was back to "IDE"
    | drives! Thanks much!
    |
    | Chuck
    |

    Hi Chuck -

    Question (because I'm too lazy to download the manual):

    Does the BM6 have a VIA chipset?

    If so, your solution has been reported widely: the VIA IDE driver can cause
    this problem with certain chipsets and the default Microsoft IDE driver
    sorts it out.

    Glad to hear you've found your solution.

    Jef
     
    Bird Janitor®, Oct 31, 2006
    #4
  5. Bird Janitor wrote:
    |
    | Does the BM6 have a VIA chipset?
    |

    Answered my own question. A quick Google revealed:

    |
    | The BM6 was designed with Intel's performance 440BX chipset.
    |

    IDE support would, obviously, be installed with the Intel INF Update Utility
    for this chipset.

    I guess there are issues with more than just the VIA and nVidia IDE drivers
    under certain circumstances.

    Jef
     
    Bird Janitor®, Oct 31, 2006
    #5
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Rick

    Abit BM6 failing ?

    Rick, Nov 29, 2003, in forum: Abit
    Replies:
    5
    Views:
    387
  2. Apache

    Maximum HD for BM6?

    Apache, Dec 10, 2003, in forum: Abit
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    357
  3. Gareth Jones
    Replies:
    5
    Views:
    265
  4. Jesse Greenawalt
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    346
    Jesse Greenawalt
    Jun 27, 2004
  5. Todd Prickett

    BM6 + Radeon 9600???

    Todd Prickett, Oct 15, 2004, in forum: Abit
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    429
    Firthy
    Oct 16, 2004
Loading...

Share This Page