    I realize these older cards were meant to deal with the older games,
    but is there a modern card that would provide me the mix I want?

    Thanks for reading.

    E Taylor, May 16, 2005

  2. E Taylor

    GinTonix Guest

    "E Taylor" <> kirjoitti viestissä
    news:4288f7b3$0$40174$...
    > I use a Leadtek A340T G-Force FX5200 at the moment, on XP.
    >
    > It's fine for almost everything I do, including Macromedia apps,
    > Autocad, Photoshop, etc..
    >
    > The problem is, it doesn't do well visually with older games I used
    > to run on Win98, and which I still like to boot to Win98 and use.
    > These don't look nearly as good as what they did with an old 64MB AGP
    > Radeon 8500 or even older PCI 16MB Banshee, not to mention a couple
    > inbetween.
    >
    > I realize these older cards were meant to deal with the older games,
    > but is there a modern card that would provide me the mix I want?

    Go to your scrap pile, dig out the 8500 and reinstall :)

    Seriously, I think it would not necessarily be a step backwards.

    --
    gt

    GinTonix, May 17, 2005

  3. E Taylor

    ofn01 Guest

    E Taylor wrote:
    > I use a Leadtek A340T G-Force FX5200 at the moment, on XP.
    >
    > It's fine for almost everything I do, including Macromedia apps,
    > Autocad, Photoshop, etc..
    >
    > The problem is, it doesn't do well visually with older games I used to
    > run on Win98, and which I still like to boot to Win98 and use.
    > These don't look nearly as good as what they did with an old 64MB AGP
    > Radeon 8500 or even older PCI 16MB Banshee, not to mention a couple
    > inbetween.
    >
    > I realize these older cards were meant to deal with the older games, but
    > is there a modern card that would provide me the mix I want?
    >
    > Thanks for reading.

    An FX5200 is less powerful than a Radeon 8500 (though the FX5200 does
    support DX9 whereas I believe the 8500 is just a DX8 card). Looking at
    this page : http://techreport.com/etc/comparo/graphics/

    FX5200: M/pixels 1000, M/texels 1000, Mem bandwidth 6.4Gb/s
    R 8500: M/pixels 1100, M/texels 2200, Mem bandwidth 8.6Gb/s

    Also I think that there is a belief that Radeons generally do image
    quality better than Geforce cards, though I've owned both in the past
    and not personally seen much difference.

    ofn01, May 17, 2005