Books on how to implement ASCII command protocol for uC using sequence numbers and XOR error correct

Discussion in 'Embedded' started by attoampere, Apr 28, 2012.

  1. attoampere

    attoampere Guest

    i come accross a half duplex ASCII protocol that uses following messag
    format again and again: [STX][dev.addr.][sequenc
    number][message/commands...][ETX][checksum]

    not only in industrial rs485 devices, but also in this consumer device
    www.kaleidescape.com/go/control-protocol

    so if this protocol is so widely adopted, why can't i find information
    about it.. what is it called? how does one implement such a protocol...

    i wanna use this kind of protocol with my own uC projects...

    i definitely like it's conceptual simplicity, compared to othe
    protocols..

    i like this Sequence Number/Repeat Flag thing...

    The sequence number is a single byte that conveys both a sequence numbe
    (legal values: 0 to 7) and a bit-flag indicating that the command block i
    being repeated due to a communications breakdown. The sequence number i
    used as an identity stamp for each command block

    this question is the only valuable information i could find... How do yo
    design a serial command protocol for an embedded system?

    is there a book about the design and implemention of ASCII protocols for u
    use?

    ---------------------------------------

    attoampere, Apr 28, 2012

  2. attoampere

    linnix Guest

    Re: Books on how to implement ASCII command protocol for uC usingsequence numbers and XOR error correction?

    On Apr 28, 2:36 am, "attoampere" <attoampere@n_o_s_p_a_m.gmail.com>
    wrote:
    > i come accross a half duplex ASCII protocol that uses following message
    > format again and again: [STX][dev.addr.][sequence
    > number][message/commands...][ETX][checksum]
    >
    > not only in industrial rs485 devices, but also in this consumer device:www.kaleidescape.com/go/control-protocol
    >
    > so if this protocol is so widely adopted, why can't i find informations
    > about it.. what is it called?

    It's called ASCII.

    > how does one implement such a protocol...

    You enclose fixed length message blocks with Start of Text (STX) and
    End of Text (ETX) and checksum it to avoid collisions. I've use it
    with multi-drop single wire serial long time ago. Might use it again.

    > i wanna use this kind of protocol with my own uC projects...

    Just do it. No license fee needed.

    linnix, Apr 30, 2012

  3. attoampere

    Guest

    On Sat, 28 Apr 2012 04:36:03 -0500, "attoampere"
    <attoampere@n_o_s_p_a_m.gmail.com> wrote:

    >i come accross a half duplex ASCII protocol that uses following message
    >format again and again: [STX][dev.addr.][sequence
    >number][message/commands...][ETX][checksum]

    There are hundreds (if not thousand) protocols with
    STXxxxxxxETXbcc/crc syntax.

    Without further information, it is hard to tell which one is used. If
    this syntax is used for binary protocols, typically some DLL xxx
    sequences are used to escape some protocol characters.

    , May 1, 2012