boot device not found please insert boot media or select correct bootdevice

Discussion in 'Asus' started by timO', Jun 13, 2008.

  1. timO'

    timO' Guest

    P5WD2E- PREMIUM with two WD SATA hdd
    XP pro sp2
    i got this message one day as I tried to boot.
    i had left the mobo Cd in the drive the previous evening, and didn't
    sit by the PC after I booted.
    So maybe something autoran.
    Anyway I removed the Cd and attempted to reboot without success.
    The next day I booted with an MS-DOS BIOS floppy I made after first
    commissioning the PC.
    It went through the entire process but still no boot.
    The next day I used the XP System CD to run the Recovery Console, but
    it finally haulted and reported that no boot disk was found.
    The next day I went into BIOS during POST and saw that it looked like
    there were no IDE devices detected.
    I saved changes (although I hadn't made any) Exited, and the system
    started up fine.
    I had inspected the harnesses inside the computer while the system was
    down, but everything appeared intact. I did not measure any of the
    voltages off the PSU.

    I am wondering if I need to follow up on this issue and consider
    replacing the PSU or the c Drive
    did the system log the failures and perhaps point to what caused them?
    thanks

    timO', Jun 13, 2008

  2. timO'

    Ed Medlin Guest

    Re: boot device not found please insert boot media or select correct boot device

    "timO'" <> wrote in message
    > P5WD2E- PREMIUM with two WD SATA hdd
    > XP pro sp2
    > i got this message one day as I tried to boot.
    > i had left the mobo Cd in the drive the previous evening, and didn't
    > sit by the PC after I booted.
    > So maybe something autoran.
    > Anyway I removed the Cd and attempted to reboot without success.
    > The next day I booted with an MS-DOS BIOS floppy I made after first
    > commissioning the PC.
    > It went through the entire process but still no boot.
    > The next day I used the XP System CD to run the Recovery Console, but
    > it finally haulted and reported that no boot disk was found.
    > The next day I went into BIOS during POST and saw that it looked like
    > there were no IDE devices detected.
    > I saved changes (although I hadn't made any) Exited, and the system
    > started up fine.
    > I had inspected the harnesses inside the computer while the system was
    > down, but everything appeared intact. I did not measure any of the
    > voltages off the PSU.
    >
    > I am wondering if I need to follow up on this issue and consider
    > replacing the PSU or the c Drive
    > did the system log the failures and perhaps point to what caused them?
    > thanks

    I wouldn't worry about it unless it keeps happening and then I would suspect
    a MB issue. It appears your boot order had changed somehow or the bios
    needed to redetect your devices.

    Ed

    Ed Medlin, Jun 14, 2008

  3. timO'

    timO' Guest

    On Jun 14, 8:05 am, "Ed Medlin" <ed@ edmedlin.com> wrote:
    > "timO'" <> wrote in message

    > > P5WD2E- PREMIUM with two WD SATA hdd
    > > XP pro sp2
    > > i got this message one day as I tried to boot.
    > > i had left the mobo Cd in the drive the previous evening, and didn't
    > > sit by the PC after I booted.
    > > So maybe something autoran.
    > > Anyway I removed the Cd and attempted to reboot without success.
    > > The next day I booted with an MS-DOS BIOS floppy I made after first
    > > commissioning the PC.
    > > It went through the entire process but still no boot.
    > > The next day I used the XP System CD to run the Recovery Console, but
    > > it finally haulted and reported that no boot disk was found.
    > > The next day I went into BIOS during POST and saw that it looked like
    > > there were no IDE devices detected.
    > > I saved changes (although I hadn't made any) Exited, and the system
    > > started up fine.
    > > I had inspected the harnesses inside the computer while the system was
    > > down, but everything appeared intact. I did not measure any of the
    > > voltages off the PSU.

    > > I am wondering if I need to follow up on this issue and consider
    > > replacing the PSU or the c Drive
    > > did the system log the failures and perhaps point to what caused them?
    > > thanks

    > I wouldn't worry about it unless it keeps happening and then I would suspect
    > a MB issue. It appears your boot order had changed somehow or the bios
    > needed to redetect your devices.
    >
    > Ed

    Thanks for the info.Someone had suggested the boot 'sector', but not
    the boot 'sequence'.
    the system had been running perfectly for over a year so I'll wait and
    see what happens.
    I am unaware of a ASUS P5WD2E-PREMIUM user group, but this here group
    and the Google XP one are pretty useful.
    Thanks again for the feedback

    timO', Jun 14, 2008
  4. timO'

    timO' Guest

    On Jun 14, 9:05 am, "timO'" <> wrote:
    > On Jun 14, 8:05 am, "Ed Medlin" <ed@ edmedlin.com> wrote:
    >

    > > "timO'" <> wrote in message

    > > > P5WD2E- PREMIUM with two WD SATA hdd
    > > > XP pro sp2
    > > > i got this message one day as I tried to boot.
    > > > i had left the mobo Cd in the drive the previous evening, and didn't
    > > > sit by the PC after I booted.
    > > > So maybe something autoran.
    > > > Anyway I removed the Cd and attempted to reboot without success.
    > > > The next day I booted with an MS-DOS BIOS floppy I made after first
    > > > commissioning the PC.
    > > > It went through the entire process but still no boot.
    > > > The next day I used the XP System CD to run the Recovery Console, but
    > > > it finally haulted and reported that no boot disk was found.
    > > > The next day I went into BIOS during POST and saw that it looked like
    > > > there were no IDE devices detected.
    > > > I saved changes (although I hadn't made any) Exited, and the system
    > > > started up fine.
    > > > I had inspected the harnesses inside the computer while the system was
    > > > down, but everything appeared intact. I did not measure any of the
    > > > voltages off the PSU.

    > > > I am wondering if I need to follow up on this issue and consider
    > > > replacing the PSU or the c Drive
    > > > did the system log the failures and perhaps point to what caused them?
    > > > thanks

    > > I wouldn't worry about it unless it keeps happening and then I would suspect
    > > a MB issue. It appears your boot order had changed somehow or the bios
    > > needed to redetect your devices.

    > > Ed

    > Thanks for the info.Someone had suggested the boot 'sector', but not
    > the boot 'sequence'.
    > the system had been running perfectly for over a year so I'll wait and
    > see what happens.
    > I am unaware of a ASUS P5WD2E-PREMIUM user group, but this here group
    > and the Google XP one are pretty useful.
    > Thanks again for the feedback

    Oh Yeah..Is there a log of the failed boot sequence somewhere in the
    PC? When BIOS is loading, the American Megatrends logo appears, and
    the steps are shown on the screen as they are executed. but when I was
    getting that boot error, there were messages that flew by too quickly
    to read, then the final error page appeared and the sequence halted.
    the question is: how can I slow the steps down or allow me to manually
    step through them?

    timO', Jun 14, 2008
  5. timO'

    Ed Medlin Guest

    Re: boot device not found please insert boot media or select correct boot device

    > Oh Yeah..Is there a log of the failed boot sequence somewhere in the
    > PC? When BIOS is loading, the American Megatrends logo appears, and
    > the steps are shown on the screen as they are executed. but when I was
    > getting that boot error, there were messages that flew by too quickly
    > to read, then the final error page appeared and the sequence halted.
    > the question is: how can I slow the steps down or allow me to manually
    > step through them?

    Not if it is happening at the bios level. There should be a setting
    somewhere in the 'Boot' section of the bios to turn off "Full Screen Logo"
    or something to that effect. That will turn off the AM logo and you can see
    more of the details of the bios detection of hardware etc. Most folks want
    to speed that up......:).... It is good to at least see that all your
    drives are being detected and all that. All the logo does is hide the bios
    post for a few seconds.

    Ed

    Ed Medlin, Jun 15, 2008
  6. timO'

    timO' Guest

    On Jun 15, 12:07 pm, "Ed Medlin" <ed@ edmedlin.com> wrote:
    > > Oh Yeah..Is there a log of the failed boot sequence somewhere in the
    > > PC? When BIOS is loading, the American Megatrends logo appears, and
    > > the steps are shown on the screen as they are executed. but when I was
    > > getting that boot error, there were messages that flew by too quickly
    > > to read, then the final error page appeared and the sequence halted.
    > > the question is: how can I slow the steps down or allow me to manually
    > > step through them?

    > Not if it is happening at the bios level. There should be a setting
    > somewhere in the 'Boot' section of the bios to turn off "Full Screen Logo"
    > or something to that effect. That will turn off the AM logo and you can see
    > more of the details of the bios detection of hardware etc. Most folks want
    > to speed that up......:).... It is good to at least see that all your
    > drives are being detected and all that. All the logo does is hide the bios
    > post for a few seconds.
    >
    > Ed

    the American Megatrends Logo is not full screen, it is a the top of
    the page and all the info shows; only after it reaches a certain point
    in the process it scrolls through very fast.
    there is a mobo option where the ASUS splash is full screen, but I do
    not use that option.

    timO', Jun 16, 2008