    Boot device: /pci@1f,4000/scsi@3/disk@1,0:b File and args:
    Trap 3e

    Any Ideas? Any help would be greatly appriciated.

    Rick McElroy, Aug 19, 2003

  2. On Tue, 19 Aug 2003 14:34:43 GMT
    "Rick McElroy" <> wrote:

    > I am attempting to load Solaris 8 onto a Seagate ST336704LW. After
    > booting to the cdrom it places installation files on the disk and then
    > reboots upon reboot I get the following error: Rebooting with command:
    > boot/pci@1f,4000/scsi@3/disk@1,0:b
    > Boot device: /pci@1f,4000/scsi@3/disk@1,0:b File and args:
    > Trap 3e
    >
    > Any Ideas? Any help would be greatly appriciated.

    It's a know bug, and the best thing, there's a workaround.

    You need to put the following in the eeprom (it's one long line, and spaces
    are significant):

    # eeprom nvramrc='probe-all install-console banner ? " Probing Ultra SCSI controller to work around Trap 3e error" type cr ? " /pci@1f,4000/scsi@3" " show-children" execute-device-method drop'
    # eeprom nvramrc
    nvramrc=probe-all install-console banner
    " Probing Ultra SCSI controller to work around Trap 3e error" type cr
    " /pci@1f,4000/scsi@3" " show-children" execute-device-method drop

    # eeprom use-nvramrc\?
    use-nvramrc?=false
    # eeprom use-nvramrc\?=true
    # eeprom use-nvramrc\?
    use-nvramrc?=true

    I use it myself, and it works like a charm (with thanks to
    Charlie Smith <>, who helped me when
    I was in the same predicament).

    Take care,

    --
    Stefaan

    Stefaan A Eeckels, Aug 19, 2003

  3. "Rick McElroy" <> wrote in message news:<7Aq0b.2097$>...
    > I am attempting to load Solaris 8 onto a Seagate ST336704LW. After booting
    > to the cdrom it places installation files on the disk and then reboots upon
    > reboot I get the following error: Rebooting with command: boot
    > /pci@1f,4000/scsi@3/disk@1,0:b
    > Boot device: /pci@1f,4000/scsi@3/disk@1,0:b File and args:
    > Trap 3e
    >
    > Any Ideas? Any help would be greatly appriciated.

    If one does a search on Google, one finds a lot of people have had
    problem this when booting.

    More usefully, a web page on docs.sun.com titled "common messages and
    troubleshooting guide" provides the answer (this link is just for
    those beggining for T by the way, so look a link above if you have
    another message).

    http://docs.sun.com/db/doc/805-4036/6j3r3qb91?a=view

    Given web documents seem to disappear quite often, I thought I'd cut
    and paste Suns's explanation, so hopefully someone seraching in the
    future on Google groups might find it, just in case Sun remove the
    document.

    That said, Sun are in my oppinion the best (by a very long way) of a
    provider of technical information of any of the UNIX manufacturers. I
    might well be biased somewhat, as I've owned Suns a long time (much
    longer than boxes from IBM, SGI, HP, Dec etc), but I seem to have a
    **lot** more of a fight to find information on boxes from IBM, SGI, HP
    etc than I ever do with Sun.

    One can obtain user + service manuals from the IBM, SGI, HP, Dec (then
    Compaq, then HP), but I'm not aware of the parts breakdown, or tables
    where you can find the right memory for each machine, or places where
    you can click on a part number and see what machine(s) and operating
    systems it is supported in.

    An IBM server of mine has 6 LEDs in addition to a 32 (or so) character
    LCD which gives a lot of information on exactly what that machine is
    doing. Except the function of the LEDs is not documented anywhere I
    can find, and despite my best efforts, I've never found anyone that
    can tell me what those LEDs do (although I have found out what one
    does by accident).

    So I think Sun's support is excellent. Even providing documentation on
    machines what can only be described (by me anyway) as doorstops. Sun
    tend to leave old documentation around for all to use if they want.

    Well done Sun.

    I might have had a knock or two at Sun's free Binary Licence for
    Solaris 9, but nobody can argue with the online support Sun provide
    for all at zero cost.

    Anyway, here is what I gleaned about the trap 5e. I'd suggest looking
    at the Sun web site, rather than my cut and paste, in case it ever
    gets updated. But if the document is ever removed, here is the
    explanation.

    Sorry the email is rather long, I could easily have replied with a
    just a web link, but I think I have made a valid point or two.

    Dr. David Kirkby.

    ---
    Taken from
    http://docs.sun.com/db/doc/805-4036/6j3r3qb91?a=view

    TRAP 3E

    Cause

    Ultra system fails to boot with TRAP 3E. The system sometimes also
    displays bad magic number errors.

    This is caused by a bad superblock on the boot disk. Which, in turn,
    could have beee caused by a SCSI configuration problem.

    Action

    To fix:

    1. Check SCSI bus for illegal configuration, bad cables, and duplicate
    SCSI addresses;

    2. Boot from cdrom in single user.

    OK boot cdrom -sw

    3. Attempt to fsck(1M) boot disk. This will probably fail with a
    superblock error.

    # fsck /dev/rdsk/device

    4. Find out locations of alternate superblocks. BE SURE TO USE AN
    UPPERCASE -N. For example:

    # newfs -N /dev/rdsk/c0t0d0s0
    /dev/rdsk/c0t0d0s0: 2048960 sectors in 1348 cylinders of 19
    tracks,
    80 sectors 1000.5MB in 85 cyl groups (16 c/g, 11.88MB/g, 5696 i/g)
    super-block backups (for fsck -F ufs -o b=#) at:
    32, 24432, 48832, 73232, 97632, 122032, 146432, 170832, 195232,
    219632,
    244032, 268432, 292832, 317232, 341632, 366032, 390432, 414832,
    439232,
    463632, 488032, 512432, 536832, 561232, 585632, 610032, 634432,
    658832,
    683232, 707632, 732032, 756432, 778272, 802672, 827072, 851472,
    875872,
    900272, 924672, 949072, 973472, 997872, 1022272, 1290672, ...

    5. Using an alternate superblock, fsck(1M) the disk. You may have to
    try more than one alternate superblock to get this to
    work. Pick a couple from the beginning, the middle, and the end.

    # fsck -o b=<altblk> /dev/rdsk/c0t0d0s0

    6. The boot block is probably bad too. Restore it while we are booted
    from the cdrom.

    # /usr/sbin/installboot /usr/platform/architecture/lib/fs/ufs/bootblk
    /dev/rdsk/c0t0d0s0

    7. Reboot the O.S. Should come up now.

    # reboot

    Dr. David Kirkby, Aug 19, 2003
  4. Rick McElroy

    Rick McElroy Guest

    After finally getting the disk up now I am getting this error:
    Searching for configuration file(s)...
    Can't open /dev/dsk/c0t1d0s1
    /dev/dsk/c0t1d0s1: CAN'T CHECK FILE SYSTEM.
    /dev/dsk/c0t1d0s1: UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY; RUN fsck MANUALLY.

    WARNING - Unable to repair the / filesystem. Run fsck
    manually (fsck -F ufs /dev/dsk/c0t1d0s1). Exit the shell when
    done to continue the boot process.

    # fsck -F ufs /dev/disk/c0t1d0s1
    Can't stat /dev/disk/c0t1d0s1

    I feel like I am missing something.... any help would be awesome

    Rick McElroy, Aug 19, 2003
  5. Rick McElroy

    Rick McElroy Guest

    Sorry the line I cut and pasted was mistyped... I tried the correct command
    and alas still no joy. Even after a new formatting it still behaves this
    way....

    Rick McElroy, Aug 19, 2003