Boot failed at checkpoint Ithr -- this solution works for me

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Kevin, Jul 9, 2006.

  1. Kevin

    Kevin Guest

    My Dimension 4700 (P4 2.8 with HT, 1.0 GB RAM, 80 GB SATA HD, Windows XP
    Home Edition SP2) has been giving me some problems for quite a while now
    with regards to the above referenced error. It will simply not POST at all.
    The cryptic error evidently references some kind of temperature monitoring
    of the Intel processor.

    All the information I have gathered so far indicate anything from faulty USB
    cards to a failing motherboard to a bad RAM chip. I have no idea what is
    causing the problem, which seems to be very common with these units. But I
    do know what makes it boot again.

    I unplug the tower and rip off the side panel. Depress the power switch for
    about five seconds to bleed off any latent power in the system, pop out the
    battery and wait a few minutes. Pop the battery back in, button up the
    tower and plug in the power cord, keyboard and mouse and monitor. Power up
    the system and it boots. It has done this three times in the last seven or
    eight months and this routine has fixed it every time.

    You have to get into the BIOS and tell it to disable the onboard audio,
    forget about any floppy drives, and set the clock. It forgets all this
    information, apparently, when you leave the battery out for a few minutes.
    I hope this information will be of some assistance to someone who is having
    this issue. It took me about a week to find all the information the first
    time this happened.

    Kevin, Jul 9, 2006

  2. Kevin

    Tom Scales Guest

    "Kevin" <> wrote in message
    > My Dimension 4700 (P4 2.8 with HT, 1.0 GB RAM, 80 GB SATA HD, Windows XP
    > Home Edition SP2) has been giving me some problems for quite a while now
    > with regards to the above referenced error. It will simply not POST at
    > all. The cryptic error evidently references some kind of temperature
    > monitoring of the Intel processor.
    >
    > All the information I have gathered so far indicate anything from faulty
    > USB cards to a failing motherboard to a bad RAM chip. I have no idea what
    > is causing the problem, which seems to be very common with these units.
    > But I do know what makes it boot again.
    >
    > I unplug the tower and rip off the side panel. Depress the power switch
    > for about five seconds to bleed off any latent power in the system, pop
    > out the battery and wait a few minutes. Pop the battery back in, button
    > up the tower and plug in the power cord, keyboard and mouse and monitor.
    > Power up the system and it boots. It has done this three times in the
    > last seven or eight months and this routine has fixed it every time.
    >
    > You have to get into the BIOS and tell it to disable the onboard audio,
    > forget about any floppy drives, and set the clock. It forgets all this
    > information, apparently, when you leave the battery out for a few minutes.
    > I hope this information will be of some assistance to someone who is
    > having this issue. It took me about a week to find all the information
    > the first time this happened.
    >

    > --

    Kevin,

    This should NEVER happen. If it is still under warranty, call Dell. They
    should replace the entire motherboard.

    Tom
    Tom Scales, Jul 9, 2006

  3. Kevin

    Kevin Guest

    "Tom Scales" <> wrote in message

    > "Kevin" <> wrote in message
    >> My Dimension 4700 (P4 2.8 with HT, 1.0 GB RAM, 80 GB SATA HD, Windows XP
    >> Home Edition SP2) has been giving me some problems for quite a while now
    >> with regards to the above referenced error. It will simply not POST at
    >> all. The cryptic error evidently references some kind of temperature
    >> monitoring of the Intel processor.
    >>
    >> All the information I have gathered so far indicate anything from faulty
    >> USB cards to a failing motherboard to a bad RAM chip. I have no idea
    >> what is causing the problem, which seems to be very common with these
    >> units. But I do know what makes it boot again.
    >>
    >> I unplug the tower and rip off the side panel. Depress the power switch
    >> for about five seconds to bleed off any latent power in the system, pop
    >> out the battery and wait a few minutes. Pop the battery back in, button
    >> up the tower and plug in the power cord, keyboard and mouse and monitor.
    >> Power up the system and it boots. It has done this three times in the
    >> last seven or eight months and this routine has fixed it every time.
    >>
    >> You have to get into the BIOS and tell it to disable the onboard audio,
    >> forget about any floppy drives, and set the clock. It forgets all this
    >> information, apparently, when you leave the battery out for a few
    >> minutes. I hope this information will be of some assistance to someone
    >> who is having this issue. It took me about a week to find all the
    >> information the first time this happened.
    >>

    >> --
    >>

    > Kevin,
    >
    > This should NEVER happen. If it is still under warranty, call Dell. They
    > should replace the entire motherboard.
    >
    > Tom

    Unfortunately, it is now out of warranty. I have considered contacting Dell
    and asking if they would replace the motherboard due to a factory defect.
    This is not an uncommon complaint in the Dell Forum (and other) boards.
    There must be plenty of evidence that this is a hardware defect and that
    Dell should be responsible. What do you think my chances are of getting
    some help from Dell with this issue?

    Kevin, Jul 10, 2006
  4. Kevin

    Tom Scales Guest

    "Kevin" <> wrote in message

    > "Tom Scales" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Kevin" <> wrote in message
    >>> My Dimension 4700 (P4 2.8 with HT, 1.0 GB RAM, 80 GB SATA HD, Windows XP
    >>> Home Edition SP2) has been giving me some problems for quite a while now
    >>> with regards to the above referenced error. It will simply not POST at
    >>> all. The cryptic error evidently references some kind of temperature
    >>> monitoring of the Intel processor.
    >>>
    >>> All the information I have gathered so far indicate anything from faulty
    >>> USB cards to a failing motherboard to a bad RAM chip. I have no idea
    >>> what is causing the problem, which seems to be very common with these
    >>> units. But I do know what makes it boot again.
    >>>
    >>> I unplug the tower and rip off the side panel. Depress the power switch
    >>> for about five seconds to bleed off any latent power in the system, pop
    >>> out the battery and wait a few minutes. Pop the battery back in, button
    >>> up the tower and plug in the power cord, keyboard and mouse and monitor.
    >>> Power up the system and it boots. It has done this three times in the
    >>> last seven or eight months and this routine has fixed it every time.
    >>>
    >>> You have to get into the BIOS and tell it to disable the onboard audio,
    >>> forget about any floppy drives, and set the clock. It forgets all this
    >>> information, apparently, when you leave the battery out for a few
    >>> minutes. I hope this information will be of some assistance to someone
    >>> who is having this issue. It took me about a week to find all the
    >>> information the first time this happened.
    >>>

    >>> --
    >>>

    >> Kevin,
    >>
    >> This should NEVER happen. If it is still under warranty, call Dell.
    >> They should replace the entire motherboard.
    >>
    >> Tom

    > Unfortunately, it is now out of warranty. I have considered contacting
    > Dell and asking if they would replace the motherboard due to a factory
    > defect. This is not an uncommon complaint in the Dell Forum (and other)
    > boards. There must be plenty of evidence that this is a hardware defect
    > and that Dell should be responsible. What do you think my chances are of
    > getting some help from Dell with this issue?

    Probably Zero. The 4700 doesn't have this rep, the Optiplex GX280 does.
    Tom Scales, Jul 10, 2006
  5. Kevin

    Kevin Guest

    "Tom Scales" <> wrote in message

    > "Kevin" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Tom Scales" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "Kevin" <> wrote in message

    >>> Kevin,
    >>>
    >>> This should NEVER happen. If it is still under warranty, call Dell.
    >>> They should replace the entire motherboard.
    >>>
    >>> Tom

    >> Unfortunately, it is now out of warranty. I have considered contacting
    >> Dell and asking if they would replace the motherboard due to a factory
    >> defect. This is not an uncommon complaint in the Dell Forum (and other)
    >> boards. There must be plenty of evidence that this is a hardware defect
    >> and that Dell should be responsible. What do you think my chances are of
    >> getting some help from Dell with this issue?
    >>

    > Probably Zero. The 4700 doesn't have this rep, the Optiplex GX280 does.

    Follow up ----
    I sent an email to Michael Dell last night. I received a call from Shelley
    (sp) at Dell this afternoon. I'm awaiting her return of my call, but due to
    the time difference between me and Texas, I expect her to call me again on
    Tuesday. That's fast service. I am hoping that she will have good news for
    me. I am encouraged that I received such a quick response to my email.

    Kevin, Jul 11, 2006
  6. Kevin

    S.Lewis Guest

    "Kevin" <> wrote in message

    > "Tom Scales" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Kevin" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "Tom Scales" <> wrote in message

    >>> Unfortunately, it is now out of warranty. I have considered contacting
    >>> Dell and asking if they would replace the motherboard due to a factory
    >>> defect. This is not an uncommon complaint in the Dell Forum (and other)
    >>> boards. There must be plenty of evidence that this is a hardware defect
    >>> and that Dell should be responsible. What do you think my chances are
    >>> of getting some help from Dell with this issue?
    >>>

    >> Probably Zero. The 4700 doesn't have this rep, the Optiplex GX280 does.

    > Follow up ----
    > I sent an email to Michael Dell last night. I received a call from
    > Shelley (sp) at Dell this afternoon. I'm awaiting her return of my call,
    > but due to the time difference between me and Texas, I expect her to call
    > me again on Tuesday. That's fast service. I am hoping that she will have
    > good news for me. I am encouraged that I received such a quick response
    > to my email.

    Good luck. Since you're out of warranty, I'm not sure what you expect them
    to do. If they offer any type of hardware replacement it will be to their
    credit and certainly not out of obligation.

    Stew
    S.Lewis, Jul 11, 2006
  7. Kevin

    Kevin Guest

    "S.Lewis" <> wrote in message

    > "Kevin" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Tom Scales" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "Kevin" <> wrote in message

    >>> Probably Zero. The 4700 doesn't have this rep, the Optiplex GX280 does.

    >> Follow up ----
    >> I sent an email to Michael Dell last night. I received a call from
    >> Shelley (sp) at Dell this afternoon. I'm awaiting her return of my call,
    >> but due to the time difference between me and Texas, I expect her to call
    >> me again on Tuesday. That's fast service. I am hoping that she will
    >> have good news for me. I am encouraged that I received such a quick
    >> response to my email.

    > Good luck. Since you're out of warranty, I'm not sure what you expect them
    > to do. If they offer any type of hardware replacement it will be to their
    > credit and certainly not out of obligation.
    >

    > Stew

    Yes, I'm aware that since my warranty has expired Dell is not legally
    obligated to even so much as answer the phone, much less offer to help me
    with my issue. However, if this problem is related to a known factory
    defective piece of hardware, I'm hoping that Dell will offer to help me
    resolve the difficulty.
    Kevin, Jul 11, 2006
  8. Kevin

    S.Lewis Guest

    "Kevin" <> wrote in message

    > "S.Lewis" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Kevin" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "Tom Scales" <> wrote in message

    >>> Follow up ----
    >>> I sent an email to Michael Dell last night. I received a call from
    >>> Shelley (sp) at Dell this afternoon. I'm awaiting her return of my
    >>> call, but due to the time difference between me and Texas, I expect her
    >>> to call me again on Tuesday. That's fast service. I am hoping that she
    >>> will have good news for me. I am encouraged that I received such a
    >>> quick response to my email.

    >> Good luck. Since you're out of warranty, I'm not sure what you expect
    >> them to do. If they offer any type of hardware replacement it will be to
    >> their credit and certainly not out of obligation.
    >>

    >> Stew

    > Yes, I'm aware that since my warranty has expired Dell is not legally
    > obligated to even so much as answer the phone, much less offer to help me
    > with my issue. However, if this problem is related to a known factory
    > defective piece of hardware, I'm hoping that Dell will offer to help me
    > resolve the difficulty.

    I'm not aware of such with the Dimension 4700. If there is, there's
    probably a website.

    Can't hurt to ask'em, I suppose.

    Stew
    S.Lewis, Jul 11, 2006
  9. Kevin

    computercyclops

    Joined:
    Aug 17, 2006
    Messages:
    1
    Solutions i have used

    I have seen this error in several dimension 4700's
    a few of which came from the factory with the cooling fans backwards, blowing dust and hoit air right in onto the cpu cooling fins in a nice little nest.

    On TWO of them, after re seating everything, they gave me beep codes 1 3 2 which means memory. SO! what I found out is TWO of the Dimms had gone bad most likely due to overheating and or electrical problems my customer had during a storm.

    :eek:

    On three of them, the pci express video card had overheated and been damaged.

    Well, I had to post this reply because many of those models went from the factory with backwards cooling fans. which over dusts and over heats the cpu for the first time about 30 days after waranty.
    computercyclops, Aug 19, 2006