boot failure

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Randolph Jones, Aug 6, 2005.

  1. I have athlon xp on a gigabyte board running fc4
    I began having boot failures on fc3, upgraded to fc4, getting worse.
    The video is scrambled on boot, even in bios; del key into bios produces
    unreadable dreck
    continued boot will hang with unreadable screen
    repeated boots (4-5) will eventually produce a running system
    This is from a cold machine, a reboot from a runing box will often work
    sucessfully, so heat does not seem to be a problem
    I have an nvidia gforce2 generic card,
    The problem is almost certainly hardware, as it happens before linux
    gets a crack at the box
    I would really appreciate any advice
    TIA
    rfjones

    1. Advertising

  2. Randolph Jones wrote:

    > I have athlon xp on a gigabyte board running fc4
    > I began having boot failures on fc3, upgraded to fc4, getting worse.
    > The video is scrambled on boot, even in bios; del key into bios produces
    > unreadable dreck
    > continued boot will hang with unreadable screen
    > repeated boots (4-5) will eventually produce a running system
    > This is from a cold machine, a reboot from a runing box will often work
    > sucessfully, so heat does not seem to be a problem
    > I have an nvidia gforce2 generic card,
    > The problem is almost certainly hardware, as it happens before linux
    > gets a crack at the box
    > I would really appreciate any advice

    Your symptoms are almost identical to those that I was having on a
    system that I recently replaced the motherboard on to cure. It was
    taking several attempts to get past the boot hang and the system had to
    warm up before it would go. There was also the trashed video, Once up,
    it would run all day, until one day it failed completely and wouldn't
    even go into the bios.

    How old is your system? Look at the top of the capacitors on the mb. Any
    signs of bulging or brown stains on top is indicative of vented
    capacitors and is fatal for that mb. If this doesn't fit, then the hw
    problem is elsewhere.

    Bob