Boot from CD with COMPAQ EVO D510 e-PC

Discussion in 'Compaq' started by rapaz, Mar 19, 2006.

  1. rapaz

    rapaz Guest

    Hi

    I have just bought a Compaq EVO D150 e-PC computer and I´m trying to
    reinstall the operation system. I´ve just updated de BIOS to the last
    revision.

    The problem is that, even I set the correct option in BIOS (first boot
    device CD/DVD) the computer boots from HDD. I have just tried with
    diferent operation systems, diferent CDs (I´m sure the cds are ok).

    F8 and the computer only shows two options boot from LAN or boot from
    HDD.

    Thanks
    -Ramón

    1. Advertising

  2. "rapaz" <> wrote in message
    Hi

    I have just bought a Compaq EVO D150 e-PC computer and I´m trying to
    reinstall the operation system. I´ve just updated de BIOS to the
    last
    revision.

    The problem is that, even I set the correct option in BIOS (first
    boot
    device CD/DVD) the computer boots from HDD. I have just tried with
    diferent operation systems, diferent CDs (I´m sure the cds are ok).

    F8 and the computer only shows two options boot from LAN or boot
    from
    HDD.

    Thanks
    -Ramón

    Did you notice a note saying Hit any key to boot from CD? This is
    there in case you leave a bootable CD in the drive when you
    shutdown.

    --
    Earl F. Parrish

    1. Advertising

  3. rapaz

    rapaz Guest

    Hi

    I didn´t notice anything, where is the note, before or after the
    message "Push F8 to ..."

    thanks

    regards,
    -Ramón

    Earl F. Parrish ha escrito:

    > "rapaz" <> wrote in message
    > Hi
    >
    > I have just bought a Compaq EVO D150 e-PC computer and I´m trying to
    > reinstall the operation system. I´ve just updated de BIOS to the
    > last
    > revision.
    >
    > The problem is that, even I set the correct option in BIOS (first
    > boot
    > device CD/DVD) the computer boots from HDD. I have just tried with
    > diferent operation systems, diferent CDs (I´m sure the cds are ok).
    >

    > F8 and the computer only shows two options boot from LAN or boot
    > from
    > HDD.
    >
    > Thanks
    > -Ramón
    >
    > Did you notice a note saying Hit any key to boot from CD? This is
    > there in case you leave a bootable CD in the drive when you
    > shutdown.
    >
    > --
    > Earl F. Parrish

  4. Patty

    Patty Guest

    On 21 Mar 2006 00:27:09 -0800, rapaz wrote:

    > Hi
    >
    > I didn´t notice anything, where is the note, before or after the
    > message "Push F8 to ..."
    >
    > thanks
    >
    > regards,
    > -Ramón

    On my Compaq Deskpro it comes on the screen just before the computer boots
    to the OS on the hard drive, right after the Compaq splash screen, and if
    you don't have that set, just after the BIOS is finished doing its thing.
    It gives you a message and a few seconds to press any key to boot from the
    CD.

    Usually F8 allows you to get a menu boot for your OS (some of the options
    are normal, safe mode, command prompt, etc.), so I would think it would be
    before that.

    Patty

  5. rapaz

    rapaz Guest

    Hi

    I´ve tested but it doesn´t show me that message. I updated the BIOS
    with the last revision, the options are the same, set the order of the
    boot devices .. and so on.

    thanks
    -Ramón

  6. "rapaz" <> wrote in message
    Hi

    I´ve tested but it doesn´t show me that message. I updated the BIOS
    with the last revision, the options are the same, set the order of
    the
    boot devices .. and so on.

    thanks
    -Ramón

    From what CD-ROM are you trying to boot? All the Windows XP CD-ROMs
    are bootable. The Compaq Evo series came with a Restore CD which
    would reformat the hard drive and restore the computer to its out of
    the box state. You might also need to turn on the boot from floppy
    option since the CD-ROM emulates a virtual floppy drive.

    Does the BIOS list a CD drive as being present during the Power On
    Self Test? The Compaq logo might be hiding the prompt for CD-ROM
    boot. Can you choose the boot device from the initial display after
    holding down F8 during the boot process? You may have to be fast
    before it goes to the next screen. Try the Pause key.

    --
    Earl F. Parrish

  7. rapaz

    rapaz Guest

    Hi

    I´m trying to boot from a SUSE Linux CD (it works, I´ve tested it in
    another computer). You´re rigth, the BIOS doesn´t list the CD DRIVE
    during the Power ON self test, but the CD ROM works after the systems
    comes from the HDD.

    I´ve bought the computer (second hand) to use it with Linux.

    After I noticed the problem, I updated the BIOS, but it´s the same.

    I´ve turn off the Compag logo (one option of the BIOS, and turn off
    the USB Floppy. It doesn´t work. The problem is that the BIOS doesnt
    detect teh second slave (the CD ROM).

    thanks
    -Ramón

  8. rapaz

    rapaz Guest

    Hi

    I´ve read that there is one utility called Computer Configuration that
    can be acceses by F10 on startup. The problem is that I can see the
    message to push F10, the documentation says that in the lower rigth
    corner there will a message F10=Configuration but I cant see.

    I have updated the BIOS may it has to do with it?

    Thanks

  9. didi1977

    didi1977

    Joined:
    Dec 25, 2006
    Messages:
    1
    thanx

    thanx plllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllse

  10. joejack94

    joejack94

    Joined:
    Oct 23, 2009
    Messages:
    1
    I have your answer..

    I have the same problem with the HP Compaq computer.. but I found out what is wrong.

    You need to activate "Boot from removable media" in BIOS.

    First, turn on the computer, and go into setup (usually F10)

    Then, go to "Storage" and then "Storage Options"

    Under that, there should be "Removable Media Boot"

    Make sure that is enabled, and then accept it and save and exit.

    There you go.. It should boot. Hope that helps.

  11. toptop

    toptop

    Joined:
    Sep 8, 2011