Boot problem with Gateway 300se

Discussion in 'Gateway' started by Steve-E, May 26, 2008.

  1. Steve-E

    Steve-E Guest

    I offered to get a friend's Gateway 300se computer running right
    again. It's a Gateway 300se with 256M ram. I removed packages such
    as Norton and McAfee which were sucking up CPU cycles. I also removed
    a lot of jpegs which were consuming much of his disk space.

    My mistake came when I thought, to be nice, I'd upgrade his memory to
    512Mbytes ( The 300se has a maximum of 512 Mbytes). When I opened the
    case, there were huge globs of dust, so I vacuumed out the inside. I
    installed the memory and powered it up. I got 3 beeps (about 1/2
    second long, about 1 second apart) and no video - the monitor green
    light just blinks.

    I took bottled air and blew out the memory slots (with memory
    removed), video connector (on the mother board, no video card) and
    hard drive. I still got the same results.

    I then removed the memory sticks, the keyboard and mouse connectors
    and the Ethernet cable. Now it's only the power cable and video
    cable. Still the same result.

    I reseated all cable connectors inside - disk, etc, held in the power
    supply self test button and still the same results. The power supply
    light is green, the power button on the front is green. There is no
    hard drive light (that I know of).

    Is the motherboard fried? Anything else I can try? I've used 4
    different new memory sticks in both/either slots.

    Thanks for any suggestions.
    Steve-E, May 26, 2008

  2. Steve-E

    BillW50 Guest

    In
    Steve-E typed on Mon, 26 May 2008 15:45:32 -0700 (PDT):
    > I offered to get a friend's Gateway 300se computer running right
    > again. It's a Gateway 300se with 256M ram. I removed packages such
    > as Norton and McAfee which were sucking up CPU cycles. I also removed
    > a lot of jpegs which were consuming much of his disk space.
    >
    > My mistake came when I thought, to be nice, I'd upgrade his memory to
    > 512Mbytes ( The 300se has a maximum of 512 Mbytes). When I opened the
    > case, there were huge globs of dust, so I vacuumed out the inside. I
    > installed the memory and powered it up. I got 3 beeps (about 1/2
    > second long, about 1 second apart) and no video - the monitor green
    > light just blinks.
    >
    > I took bottled air and blew out the memory slots (with memory
    > removed), video connector (on the mother board, no video card) and
    > hard drive. I still got the same results.
    >
    > I then removed the memory sticks, the keyboard and mouse connectors
    > and the Ethernet cable. Now it's only the power cable and video
    > cable. Still the same result.
    >
    > I reseated all cable connectors inside - disk, etc, held in the power
    > supply self test button and still the same results. The power supply
    > light is green, the power button on the front is green. There is no
    > hard drive light (that I know of).
    >
    > Is the motherboard fried? Anything else I can try? I've used 4
    > different new memory sticks in both/either slots.
    >
    > Thanks for any suggestions.

    It doesn't sound good Steve. Vacuuming can cause static charges and blow
    out sensitive electronics. I blew out the I/O chips on a Commodore 128
    by vacuuming the keyboard (the computer is inside of the keyboard).
    Being an electronic engineer, I should have known better. Although this
    happens so rarely, we still take some risks. For example, if the
    humidity is high like 70% or higher, harm is on the low side and you can
    risk not taking static precautions generally.

    Another thing I would try is cleaning the memory slots with isopropyl
    alcohol. Maybe the vacuum attachment had a film on it and smeared it on
    the contacts. And with the memory cards themselves, use a clean pencil
    eraser on the contacts. And make sure the alcohol is dry before applying
    power. It shouldn't take long, a few minutes perhaps. But wait longer if
    necessary. Get back to us if this doesn't work.

    --
    Bill
    BillW50, May 29, 2008

  3. Steve-E

    Smith Guest

    Those 3 short beeps mean memory issue. Take the original 256mb stick and
    try it in each slot see if any will let you boot. One of your slots may be
    faulty now because of the vaccum.

    Smith, Jun 18, 2008