Boot Problems with A7N8X Deluxe 2.0...BIOS 1008

Discussion in 'Asus' started by kirbalo, Jan 22, 2005.

  1. kirbalo

    kirbalo Guest

    All,

    I just rebuilt an old system into a new system with the A7N8X Deluxe. I
    have an Athlon 2500+ in 1 Gig of PC3200 DDR. The symptoms are that the box
    with POST properly, and then go to the Windows Splash Screen, and the
    system just freezes. The "cylon" lights never scan back and forth, it just
    hangs. I can get in via Safe Mode, but I can't seem to figure out what is
    the problem. I did Flash the BIOS from 1005 to 1008. Could that be the
    problem?

    At first this "seemed" intermittent. I was able to do a system restore, and
    it was able to boot regularly one time, but then failed a reboot.

    The system is not currently overclocked...though it was. I thought that
    might be the problem...apparently not the case.

    Has anyone else seen this?
    --
    Kirbalo...

    K7S5A Pro, Athlon XP 1600+
    1 Gig DDR, 120 GB, nVidia GeForce 4 MX 440
    SuSE Linux 9.2 Pro & XP Pro Dual Boot
    Linux 2.6.8-24.10-default
    2:41pm up 8 days 21:09, 3 users, load average: 1.51, 1.59, 1.54

    1. Advertising

  2. Beemer Biker

    Beemer Biker Guest

    "kirbalo" <> wrote in message
    > All,
    >
    > I just rebuilt an old system into a new system with the A7N8X Deluxe. I
    > have an Athlon 2500+ in 1 Gig of PC3200 DDR. The symptoms are that the

    box
    > with POST properly, and then go to the Windows Splash Screen, and the
    > system just freezes. The "cylon" lights never scan back and forth, it

    just
    > hangs. I can get in via Safe Mode, but I can't seem to figure out what is
    > the problem. I did Flash the BIOS from 1005 to 1008. Could that be the
    > problem?
    >
    > At first this "seemed" intermittent. I was able to do a system restore,

    and
    > it was able to boot regularly one time, but then failed a reboot.
    >
    > The system is not currently overclocked...though it was. I thought that
    > might be the problem...apparently not the case.
    >
    > Has anyone else seen this?

    I have both deluxe 2.0 and the newer "E". The delux is picky about ram and
    I had to swap out a no-name pc400 for premium corsair.

    Set the speed down from 200 to 166 (or 166 to 133 whatever) and see if it
    helps. If it becomes stable, like mine, then get rid of ram.

    HTH

    1. Advertising

  3. kirbalo

    kirbalo Guest

    Beemer Biker wrote:

    > "kirbalo" <> wrote in message
    >> All,
    >>
    >> I just rebuilt an old system into a new system with the A7N8X Deluxe. I
    >> have an Athlon 2500+ in 1 Gig of PC3200 DDR. The symptoms are that the

    > box
    >> with POST properly, and then go to the Windows Splash Screen, and the
    >> system just freezes. The "cylon" lights never scan back and forth, it

    > just
    >> hangs. I can get in via Safe Mode, but I can't seem to figure out what
    >> is
    >> the problem. I did Flash the BIOS from 1005 to 1008. Could that be the
    >> problem?
    >>
    >> At first this "seemed" intermittent. I was able to do a system restore,

    > and
    >> it was able to boot regularly one time, but then failed a reboot.
    >>
    >> The system is not currently overclocked...though it was. I thought that
    >> might be the problem...apparently not the case.
    >>
    >> Has anyone else seen this?

    > I have both deluxe 2.0 and the newer "E". The delux is picky about ram
    > and I had to swap out a no-name pc400 for premium corsair.
    >
    > Set the speed down from 200 to 166 (or 166 to 133 whatever) and see if it
    > helps. If it becomes stable, like mine, then get rid of ram.
    >
    > HTH

    I had the system at 400 Mhz Bus, 200 for DDR, and OC'd the proc. up to 3200+
    (2.2Ghz). I have slowed down to 333, 166, 2500+ (1.833GHz) to no avail...

    --
    Kirbalo...

    K7S5A Pro, Athlon XP 1600+
    1 Gig DDR, 120 GB, nVidia GeForce 4 MX 440
    SuSE Linux 9.2 Pro & XP Pro Dual Boot
    Linux 2.6.8-24.10-default
    3:21pm up 8 days 21:49, 3 users, load average: 1.05, 1.55, 1.53

  4. kirbalo

    kirbalo Guest

    kirbalo wrote:

    > All,
    >
    > I just rebuilt an old system into a new system with the A7N8X Deluxe. I
    > have an Athlon 2500+ in 1 Gig of PC3200 DDR. The symptoms are that the
    > box with POST properly, and then go to the Windows Splash Screen, and the
    > system just freezes. The "cylon" lights never scan back and forth, it
    > just
    > hangs. I can get in via Safe Mode, but I can't seem to figure out what is
    > the problem. I did Flash the BIOS from 1005 to 1008. Could that be the
    > problem?
    >
    > At first this "seemed" intermittent. I was able to do a system restore,
    > and it was able to boot regularly one time, but then failed a reboot.
    >
    > The system is not currently overclocked...though it was. I thought that
    > might be the problem...apparently not the case.
    >
    > Has anyone else seen this?

    So...here's what else I've tried...

    I booted from the Windows XP SP-2 Slipstreamed Disk, and it gets to "Setup
    is starting Windows" and hangs there also. I can't boot regularly, and I
    can't boot completely off of the Windows CD, I can only get in via Safe
    Mode.

    This computer had a different mobo in it originally. It was an SIS based
    chipset. I reinstalled windows, as a repair, when I first built this
    system. Any possibility of a problem there?

    Anyone have any other ideas?
    --
    Kirbalo...

    K7S5A Pro, Athlon XP 1600+
    1 Gig DDR, 120 GB, nVidia GeForce 4 MX 440
    SuSE Linux 9.2 Pro & XP Pro Dual Boot
    Linux 2.6.8-24.10-default
    6:57pm up 9 days 1:26, 3 users, load average: 1.04, 1.10, 1.26