    thanks in advance
    ark
    , Jul 10, 2006

  2. Trent Guest

    On 10 Jul 2006 05:12:16 -0700 wrote in Message id:
    <>:

    >Hi I've Intel D945GNT classic motherboard with Intel P4 3.0 Ghz HT
    >processor,
    >
    >I've problems while booting the machine..
    >
    >It stops at the fist screen, with intel logo and displays one line with
    >"F2 for settings 5A"
    >
    >sometimes it proceeds but again stops just displaying 5A on black
    >screen..
    >
    >I'm unable to figure out problem because it can't boot
    >
    >where should i look for solution

    Code 5A is "Resetting PATA/SATA bus and all devices"

    Try resetting the CMOS. Also, remove any add-in cards that are not
    required to get video. Lastly, disconnect the hard drives(s) from the
    motherboard.
    Trent, Jul 11, 2006

  3. Guest

    Trent wrote:
    > On 10 Jul 2006 05:12:16 -0700 wrote in Message id:
    > <>:
    >
    > >Hi I've Intel D945GNT classic motherboard with Intel P4 3.0 Ghz HT
    > >processor,
    > >
    > >I've problems while booting the machine..
    > >
    > >It stops at the fist screen, with intel logo and displays one line with
    > >"F2 for settings 5A"
    > >
    > >sometimes it proceeds but again stops just displaying 5A on black
    > >screen..
    > >
    > >I'm unable to figure out problem because it can't boot
    > >
    > >where should i look for solution

    > Code 5A is "Resetting PATA/SATA bus and all devices"
    >
    > Try resetting the CMOS. Also, remove any add-in cards that are not
    > required to get video. Lastly, disconnect the hard drives(s) from the
    > motherboard.

    Thanks for replying... I'll try, but how can I reset CMOS..? because
    I'm unable to enter to bios setup by pressing F2.. I've installed
    Geforce 6600 graphics card, is there any need to remove it...? Also I
    forget to mention it early that, I've SATA hard drive..

    thanks in advance
    ark
    , Jul 11, 2006
  4. Trent Guest

    On 11 Jul 2006 09:21:22 -0700 wrote in Message id:
    <>:

    >Trent wrote:
    >> On 10 Jul 2006 05:12:16 -0700 wrote in Message id:
    >> <>:
    >>
    >> >Hi I've Intel D945GNT classic motherboard with Intel P4 3.0 Ghz HT
    >> >processor,
    >> >
    >> >I've problems while booting the machine..
    >> >
    >> >It stops at the fist screen, with intel logo and displays one line with
    >> >"F2 for settings 5A"
    >> >
    >> >sometimes it proceeds but again stops just displaying 5A on black
    >> >screen..
    >> >
    >> >I'm unable to figure out problem because it can't boot
    >> >
    >> >where should i look for solution

    >> Code 5A is "Resetting PATA/SATA bus and all devices"
    >>
    >> Try resetting the CMOS. Also, remove any add-in cards that are not
    >> required to get video. Lastly, disconnect the hard drives(s) from the
    >> motherboard.

    >Thanks for replying... I'll try, but how can I reset CMOS..?

    At first I was going to say RTFM, but on closer inspection this board does
    not have this feature. You could remove the on-board lithium battery and
    short the two terminals of the battery holder for 5 to 10 seconds or so.

    For reference, your user manual is here:
    ftp://download.intel.com/design/motherbd/nt/D1406901US.pdf

    > because
    >I'm unable to enter to bios setup by pressing F2..

    That has nothing to do with resetting the CMOS. However, if you set jumper
    J7J3 to position 2-3, then power on the board, does it then enter setup?

    >I've installed
    >Geforce 6600 graphics card, is there any need to remove it...?

    Since this MB has onboard VGA, yes - if only to eliminate the video card
    as being part of the problem. Plug your monitor into the built-in VGA port
    located on the motherboard.

    > Also I
    >forget to mention it early that, I've SATA hard drive..

    Did you try disconnecting it to see if the POST goes any further?
    Trent, Jul 12, 2006
  5. Guest

    Trent wrote:
    > On 11 Jul 2006 09:21:22 -0700 wrote in Message id:
    > <>:
    >

    > >Trent wrote:

    > >> Code 5A is "Resetting PATA/SATA bus and all devices"
    > >>
    > >> Try resetting the CMOS. Also, remove any add-in cards that are not
    > >> required to get video. Lastly, disconnect the hard drives(s) from the
    > >> motherboard.

    > >Thanks for replying... I'll try, but how can I reset CMOS..?

    > At first I was going to say RTFM, but on closer inspection this board does
    > not have this feature. You could remove the on-board lithium battery and
    > short the two terminals of the battery holder for 5 to 10 seconds or so.
    >
    > For reference, your user manual is here:
    > ftp://download.intel.com/design/motherbd/nt/D1406901US.pdf
    >
    > > because
    > >I'm unable to enter to bios setup by pressing F2..

    > That has nothing to do with resetting the CMOS. However, if you set jumper
    > J7J3 to position 2-3, then power on the board, does it then enter setup?
    >
    > >I've installed
    > >Geforce 6600 graphics card, is there any need to remove it...?

    > Since this MB has onboard VGA, yes - if only to eliminate the video card
    > as being part of the problem. Plug your monitor into the built-in VGA port
    > located on the motherboard.
    >
    > > Also I
    > >forget to mention it early that, I've SATA hard drive..

    > Did you try disconnecting it to see if the POST goes any further?

    Hi, thanks for help..

    I'll follow these steps & let u know if it works...

    thanks again..

    ark
    , Jul 12, 2006
  6. bertmcd

    Joined:
    Sep 10, 2006
    Messages:
    1
    Fix for this problem

    I also have D945GNT with this error. I have SATA hard drives and IDE (PATA) CD and an IDE (PATA) tape drive (Segate Travan 40?), and floppy.
    The travan had no power hooked up (forgot to plug in cable).

    I simply disconnected the IDE devices (CD and tape drive) and then the board booted to the point that I could go into cmos setup and set the boot order. Everything worked after that.
    Moral of the story - Disconnect the IDE devices (simplify).
    bertmcd, Sep 10, 2006
  7. jsalsburg

    Joined:
    Aug 24, 2007
    Messages:
    1
    Location:
    Shreveport, LA
    5A and IDE problem solved

    I discovered something. I just built a new machine on a D975XBX with a Core 2 Quad. I put in an old CD Drive and the machine would hang on 5A but eventually startup if I waited several minutes. When I read here that if you unplug the IDE, the machine might not hang on 5A, I tried that and it worked, it booted in 30 seconds. Since I had a stack of old CD Drives I decided to see if another one would misbehave. Wouldn't you know it, I replaced the CD Drive with another old one and the machine would not hang on 5A, and booted in 30 seconds. The different old CD Drive worked OK so I used it to install the OS. I am gussing that some old CD Drives are not compatible with new BIOS so all that about Resetting CMOS and BIOS is not necessary.
    jsalsburg, Aug 24, 2007
  8. nafreire

    Joined:
    Jan 19, 2008
    Messages:
    1
    pauses on post code 5A on DG33TL

    I got the same issue.

    running a DG33TL, with a quad core cpu, SATA DVD-RW DL Pioneer, SATA Western digital 500gb Hard Drive.

    I just installed a PCI Express video card and encountered the same issue, bios pauses on post code 5A.

    Disconnected both my SATA connectors and computer Post successfully. I got the latest bios update.

    This is the second PCI Express I installed on this machine both with the same issue, anyone have any suggestions on what might resolve this issue.
    nafreire, Jan 19, 2008
  9. manu

    Joined:
    Feb 7, 2008
    Messages:
    1
    Hi I've also an Intel D945GNT classic motherboard

    I've the exact same problems while booting the machine..

    It stops at the fist screen, with intel logo and displays one line with
    "F2 for settings 5A"

    I did everything that says in the post but even with all the ides disconnected still shows the 5A on the first screen...

    Help please!!!
    manu, Feb 7, 2008
  10. irie111

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2008
    Messages:
    2
    5A POST ISSUE (Intel)

    OK folks... I am running the Intel DG33TL w/Quad Core... I will share what I have learned concerning this 5A issue... I have SATA hard drive and IDE DVD/RW... Running onboard video, I have no issues... After installing a PCIe video card in this machine I encounter the 5A post message hanging issue... Unplugging the IDE DVD/RW does not fix the issue for me... However, after unplugging the SATA hard drive cable, the machine completes post no problem... I have spent hours on the phone with Intel, and they are clueless to this issue... They even went as far as telling me I needed to flash bios on my hard drive (come on, that's ridiculous)... But, I even phoned Western Digital and there is no update for my 400GB SATA drive (and they laughed at the concept of that being the problem, as did I... lol)...

    Bottom line... I'm very disappointed with this board at this point; as I'm stuck using onboard video with my Quad-Core and using my ATI HD2600XT upgrade video as a paper weight...

    Clearly this is becoming a known issue, and I hope that it is only a matter of time before Intel addresses it... It is clearly a motherboard related issue...

    Hope this helps iron out some of the guess work on this issue...

    irie111 :cool:
    irie111, Feb 8, 2008
  11. irie111

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2008
    Messages:
    2
    Yeah!!!... :)

    Problem resolved with the latest BIOS update from Intel for my DG33TL... :)
    I am very happy now!!!... A little surprised it took Intel so long to recognize such a major issue... Turns out the incompatibility was with a combination of ANY PCIe video card and ANY SATA hard drive... Go figure... I'm amazed these boards even made a release without being tested in this configuration... lol

    Anyways, I'm pimpin' a 5.5 on Windows Vista Experience Index now with my ATI HD2600XT... I'm very happy, and really this system has been very fast and very stable, so I'm over complaining about Intel now, they fixed it (after pulling my hair out for months)... lol

    The fix was finally released in a January 21st, 2008 BIOS update...
    Release notes (search 5A in PDF)... http://downloadmirror.intel.com/15422/ENG/DP_0372_ReleaseNotes.pdf

    I'm assuming that all your model motherboards have this issue fixed with the latest BIOS as well... ;)

    Good luck... :D

    irie111 :cool:

    Intel Q6700 Quad-Core processor
    Intel DG33TL motherboard
    ATI HD2600XT PCIe graphics
    4GB Corsair DDR2 800Mhz
    Western Digital 400GB SATA hard drive
    Sony DVD/RW IDE
    Antec TP-650 power supply
    32bit Vista Ultimate
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2008
    irie111, Feb 8, 2008
  12. gggcc

    Joined:
    Nov 12, 2009
    Messages:
    1
    I found the problem but....

    I was having the same problem
    The CMOS reset did not work. After pulling each board one at a time, I isolated it to either a port or SATA drive. The port works with another device and the drive is not recognized in another port, so it is the HD.

    Now, my system has 4 HD. Program, Data, Program Backup, and Data Backup.
    The bad HD is my master data drive. The last backup was 3 weeks ago.
    The drive is humming when powered. Is there anyway to pull the data off?

    A friend of mine said that he heard that SOMETIMES if you put the HD in the freezer for an hour it will work long enough to pull the data off. If the MB is not recognizing the HD how would I do this?
    gggcc, Nov 12, 2009
  13. Joined:
    Feb 22, 2010
    Messages:
    1
    same problem but got the solution !!!!

    well this is a problem that i been dealing with intel motherboards for long time, the problem is when you change something in the motherboard(in my case hard drive), the motherboard is so dumb that it cannot understant that you just remove a harddrive and you have another one, instead is trying to find the old hd that you have before and gets confuse with the new one, so basicaly just restart the motherboard with no hard drive them go to set up save and exit, restart and them turn of mother connect new hd (by the way with this intel mothers also seem to be it works better with cable select configuration in the hard drive when only installing 1 hd) them turn on mother and it should work, i remember also in some case the need to disable automatic function in the id menu and put it manual. maybe this donsn't work for you but it will give you an idea of whats going on with this friking motherboard.

    good luck:cool:
    , Feb 22, 2010
  14. Rudi

    Joined:
    Dec 5, 2011
    Messages:
    1

    Hi, I had the same issue with the 5A stop code, after I installed the "GTX550" display card. PC would boot when I disconnect SATA HDD. Started pc with older display card and updated my bios through windows. Found latest bios update from intel web site. All working fine now.
    Rudi, Dec 5, 2011
  15. joeuser

    Joined:
    Dec 3, 2009
    Messages:
    12
    Location:
    Everywhere.
    BIOS update didn't work...

    Hi,
    I've thought that i'd found the solution of my problem. But i'm still having the same issue '5A' desperately after i've installed my "HD3870". :confused:
    I found and updated latest bios from intel web site. I'm running 'D945PLNM' with 'X1950' already.
    I've done all that you've mentioned above... centplay.com/affiliate/id_366/

    Do you have any other suggestions to fix this? Thank you in advance...
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2012
    joeuser, Feb 4, 2012
  16. dmikulec

    Joined:
    Sep 29, 2013
    Messages:
    1
    Location:
    Stoughton, Mass

    I bought the motherboard in 08/09 with a SATA Western digital 500gb Hard Drive. From time to time the monitor would go from Windows to a pink screen with a cursor, so I replaced the PCI Express video card. I then had the same issue above. With me, I could pull the HDD and I could get to the BIOS screen.

    I'll look into the BIOS update. Just goes to show that you that even six years down the road this info is still important. :)
    dmikulec, Sep 29, 2013
  17. alokesh_p

    Joined:
    Sep 30, 2013
    Messages:
    1
    Sir,

    I have 945gcr intel motherboard .It just booting then stop show error 5A.What is the problem.disconnect all peripheral and other device but not solve .is it bios related or motherboard related problem
    alokesh_p, Sep 30, 2013