boot sun fire v100 from an external USB cd/dvd

Discussion in 'Sun Hardware' started by Greg Tokarski, Oct 30, 2004.

  1. I found bunch of posts but really none of them seemed to have said if
    it's possible, and if so how.

    I am trying to install a v100 from a DVD rom, but sonce the box comes
    with cd only and no scsi, I am trying to figure it out.
    Yes, I know I can install from cd, or boot of the network.. my point
    is judt somply knowing if I can do it from USB attached CD/DVD.
    (It's an ide cdrom put into an external usb2/firewire case).

    Of course I cannot see it in probe-scsi or ide, or any other (sifting
    usb did not show anythng to probe all usb), however it shows just fine
    when I boot into the OS (Sol9) (/dev/dsk/c1t0d0 - as opposed to c0 for
    internals).

    I tried booting off of /pci@1f,0/usb@a/storage@1:0
    The way I got this path was playing between devalias and ls...

    Well.. it is not working.

    I even tried to dd the dvd to c1t2d0s0 (or s2) to see if then I could
    trick the os to think it was a CD.. well. sure enough this did not
    work...

    So I am back to trying USB.. any ideas/suggestions would be greatly
    appreciated...
    it just does not seem it should ba quite that hard, but of couse SUN
    does not support it so I am on my own and hate not knowing how to do
    it.

    Thx in advance for any ideas.

    Greg Tokarski, Oct 30, 2004

  2. Greg Tokarski

    Chris Lawson Guest

    Greg Tokarski wrote:
    > I found bunch of posts but really none of them seemed to have said if
    > it's possible, and if so how.
    >
    > I am trying to install a v100 from a DVD rom, but sonce the box comes
    > with cd only and no scsi, I am trying to figure it out.
    > Yes, I know I can install from cd, or boot of the network.. my point
    > is judt somply knowing if I can do it from USB attached CD/DVD.
    > (It's an ide cdrom put into an external usb2/firewire case).
    >
    > Of course I cannot see it in probe-scsi or ide, or any other (sifting
    > usb did not show anythng to probe all usb), however it shows just fine
    > when I boot into the OS (Sol9) (/dev/dsk/c1t0d0 - as opposed to c0 for
    > internals).
    >
    > I tried booting off of /pci@1f,0/usb@a/storage@1:0
    > The way I got this path was playing between devalias and ls...
    >
    > Well.. it is not working.

    That's because OBP can't boot off USB.

    How about opening up your V100 and connecting an IDE DVD up to the IDE
    cable?
    --
    Chris

    Chris Lawson, Oct 30, 2004

  3. Chris Lawson <> wrote in message news:
    > That's because OBP can't boot off USB.
    >
    > How about opening up your V100 and connecting an IDE DVD up to the IDE
    > cable?

    Thx Chris,

    Well.. that would be an option; I was just hoping for a simpler one
    [as far as hardware].. it's not like I cannot just install from cd or
    setup a network install server, but.. I wanted to know if there are
    any tricks for USB.. it really seems like the OS is needed... oh! I
    just had an idea.. I wonder if once I startup from CD then maybe it
    will let me choose dvd media for install.....

    Well, we'll see...

    If anyone has any info as to actually booting usb device from obp, let
    me know :) Elese I'll just consider that SUN cannot do it... hmm...

    Thx.

    GT

    Greg Tokarski, Nov 1, 2004