Boot (T61p) from SD card?

Discussion in 'IBM Thinkpad' started by John Navas, Aug 7, 2010.

  1. John Navas

    John Navas Guest

    Has anyone here successfully booted from SD card in either the
    integrated card reader or a USB reader? I've successfully created
    Recovery Media on 8GB SDHC card with Rescue & Recovery 4.3, but haven't
    been able to get the BIOS Boot to recognize it with "+USB HDD" (instead
    of "-USB HDD") or in the F12 list of boot devices. USB BIOS is enabled,
    and Windows 7 shows the partition as Active Primary. Thanks.

    --
    John You are cordially invited to participate in the
    official ThinkPad group news:comp.sys.laptops.thinkpad

    1. Advertising

  2. John Navas

    John Navas Guest

    On Sat, 07 Aug 2010 08:14:57 -0700, in
    <>, John Navas
    <> wrote:

    >Has anyone here successfully booted from SD card in either the
    >integrated card reader or a USB reader? I've successfully created
    >Recovery Media on 8GB SDHC card with Rescue & Recovery 4.3, but haven't
    >been able to get the BIOS Boot to recognize it with "+USB HDD" (instead
    >of "-USB HDD") or in the F12 list of boot devices. USB BIOS is enabled,
    >and Windows 7 shows the partition as Active Primary. Thanks.

    UPDATE: The T61p will boot from a USB flash drive, but not from an SD
    card, either in a USB reader (SanDisk MicroMate) or in the integrated
    reader, which I would prefer as a matter of convenience, hence my post.

    --

  3. John Navas wrote:

    > On Sat, 07 Aug 2010 08:14:57 -0700, in
    > <>, John Navas
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>Has anyone here successfully booted from SD card in either the
    >>integrated card reader or a USB reader? I've successfully created
    >>Recovery Media on 8GB SDHC card with Rescue & Recovery 4.3, but

    haven't
    >>been able to get the BIOS Boot to recognize it with "+USB HDD"

    (instead
    >>of "-USB HDD") or in the F12 list of boot devices. USB BIOS is

    enabled,
    >>and Windows 7 shows the partition as Active Primary. Thanks.

    > UPDATE: The T61p will boot from a USB flash drive, but not from an SD
    > card, either in a USB reader (SanDisk MicroMate) or in the integrated
    > reader, which I would prefer as a matter of convenience, hence my

    post.

    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think that *any* SD-reader-
    equipped ThinkPad is capable of booting from an SD card.

    A shame too, as I've come across a couple situations in which it would
    be quite handy to have.

    Cheers,
    Rob

  4. John Navas

    John Navas Guest

    On Sun, 08 Aug 2010 23:04:29 -0400, in
    <i3nr7t$no5$-september.org>, Robert Tomsick
    <> wrote:

    >John Navas wrote:
    >
    >> On Sat, 07 Aug 2010 08:14:57 -0700, in
    >> <>, John Navas
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Has anyone here successfully booted from SD card in either the
    >>>integrated card reader or a USB reader? I've successfully created
    >>>Recovery Media on 8GB SDHC card with Rescue & Recovery 4.3, but haven't
    >>>been able to get the BIOS Boot to recognize it with "+USB HDD" (instead
    >>>of "-USB HDD") or in the F12 list of boot devices. USB BIOS is enabled,
    >>>and Windows 7 shows the partition as Active Primary. Thanks.

    >> UPDATE: The T61p will boot from a USB flash drive, but not from an SD
    >> card, either in a USB reader (SanDisk MicroMate) or in the integrated
    >> reader, which I would prefer as a matter of convenience, hence my post.

    >Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think that *any* SD-reader-
    >equipped ThinkPad is capable of booting from an SD card.

    It would seem to be a limitation (bug IMHO) in the BIOS, since a USB
    card reader emulates a storage device in the much same way as a USB
    flash drive, except for some apparent difference that prevents booting
    from it.

    >A shame too, as I've come across a couple situations in which it would
    >be quite handy to have.

    Indeed.

    I've got a support ticket open with Lenovo.

    --
    John You are cordially invited to participate in the
    official ThinkPad group news:comp.sys.laptops.thinkpad

  5. T.C.

    T.C. Guest

    On Sat, 07 Aug 2010 08:14:57 -0700, John Navas
    <> wrote:

    > Has anyone here successfully booted from SD card in either the
    > integrated card reader or a USB reader? I've successfully created
    > Recovery Media on 8GB SDHC card with Rescue & Recovery 4.3, but haven't
    > been able to get the BIOS Boot to recognize it with "+USB HDD" (instead
    > of "-USB HDD") or in the F12 list of boot devices. USB BIOS is enabled,
    > and Windows 7 shows the partition as Active Primary. Thanks.

    I'm not sure in how far this might apply here, but I distinctly
    remember that not every PC can boot from every flash/ pen/ key drive
    either, even if there's a basic BIOS support for booting from USB
    devices - it depends too on the format of the USB stick (re:
    superfloppy, MBR etc...) - maybe that might be an additional factor
    here too...

    ....one link that came up fast on Google looking for bootable
    USB-sticks was http://www.bootdisk.com/pendrive.htm - maybe something
    like that will help here too...

    Thinking twice, I'd expect R&R to take care of applying a suitable
    format for booting to be possible, but then again: it wouldn't be the
    1st time I'd be negatively surprised - if I'd have an SD card, I'd
    simply try to put some simple bootable OS like DOS on it for testing
    purposes (next would probably be a Linux live CD), just to check if
    there is any basic chance to boot from the SD...

    Good luck

    T.C.