    Instead, I just see the Win7 logo coming up after a few seconds of black
    screen. What could have caused this? It's a tx1000 series HP Pavilion
    notebook. Anybody else has experienced this, too?

    cameo, Jan 9, 2012

  2. cameo

    BillW50 Guest

    In news:jee6u7$783$,
    cameo wrote:
    > I've just noticed that the short white-on-black text reminding me what
    > keys to press to enter the BIOS setup during boot no longer shows up.
    > Instead, I just see the Win7 logo coming up after a few seconds of
    > black screen. What could have caused this? It's a tx1000 series HP
    > Pavilion notebook. Anybody else has experienced this, too?

    Are you sure you pressed the right key fast enough? As once Windows has
    started to boot, the opportunity to enter the BIOS setup is gone. And if
    you are using an external keyboard, some BIOS won't see them while
    Windows still will.

    --
    Bill

    BillW50, Jan 9, 2012

  3. cameo

    Bob_Villa Guest

    On Jan 9, 2:02 am, cameo <> wrote:
    > I've just noticed that the short white-on-black text reminding me what
    > keys to press to enter the BIOS setup during boot no longer shows up.
    > Instead, I just see the Win7 logo coming up after a few seconds of black
    > screen. What could have caused this? It's a tx1000 series HP Pavilion
    > notebook. Anybody else has experienced this, too?

    Possibly you need a CMOS battery and your BIOS boot screen has
    changed. They sometimes can be accessed thru a bottom panel.

    Bob_Villa, Jan 9, 2012
  4. cameo

    cameo Guest

    On 1/9/2012 7:36 AM, Bob_Villa wrote:

    > Possibly you need a CMOS battery and your BIOS boot screen has
    > changed. They sometimes can be accessed thru a bottom panel.

    Oh, man, I've just fixed the heatsink in this notebook about a month ago
    when I had to temporarily remove the battery. I could have easily
    replaced it then if I had thought it was too old. But I remember that
    after I reassembled the notebook, I was able to get into the BIOS setup
    and re-enter the lost CMOS values. So at that time I did see that short
    display of "Press Esc to ..., F8 or F10 to enter BIOS setup ..." etc.
    text during bootup. But sometime after that the text stopped appearing
    and I'm not even sure how to get into BIOS in case I need to change boot
    sequence, etc. Before I go ahead and take upart this notebook to get to
    the battery, I want to do some research in case there is a simpler solution.

    cameo, Jan 9, 2012
  5. cameo

    cameo Guest

    On 1/9/2012 2:58 AM, BillW50 wrote:
    > Are you sure you pressed the right key fast enough? As once Windows has
    > started to boot, the opportunity to enter the BIOS setup is gone. And if
    > you are using an external keyboard, some BIOS won't see them while
    > Windows still will.

    No problem there. Normally I would see that display flash for a few
    seconds which is plenty time to press one of those keys to enter BIOS setup.

    cameo, Jan 9, 2012
  6. cameo

    Bob_Villa Guest

    http://h10010.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=bph07110&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&product=3185025#N213

    Bob_Villa, Jan 9, 2012
  7. cameo

    cameo Guest

    cameo, Jan 9, 2012
  8. cameo

    cameo Guest

    Solved: Boot-time BIOS entry option disappeared

    After trying and retrying booting up a few more times I finally managed
    to bring up the BIOS setup screen and immediately saw what the problem
    was: the BIOS splash screen time for some reason was set to zero instead
    of what it used to be: 5 seconds. No wonder I could not hit a key in
    time before. Now it's back to 5 secs again and everything is as it used
    to be: the required key presses are displayed at the bottom left of the
    scree, with the "HP Invent" logo in the center.
    I wish I'll never know why the BIOS splash screen display time was reset
    to zero secs. By the way, the setup is brought up with either the F10 or
    F12 key.

    Thanks for the various tips, guys.

    cameo, Jan 9, 2012
  9. cameo

    Bob_Villa Guest

    On Jan 9, 5:01 pm, cameo <> wrote:
    > On 1/9/2012 12:15 PM, Bob_Villa wrote:
    >
    > >http://h10010.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=bph07110&lc=en&cc...

    > Sorry Bob, but this is old stuff for me. My problem is not what to do in
    > the BIOS setup, but to get in that darn thing. You did not read what I
    > wrote before.

    This was FYI...in case you didn't have it. Thanks for the
    criticism...wad!

    Bob_Villa, Jan 10, 2012