Booting with Gigabyte mobo question

Discussion in 'Gigabyte' started by John Smith, Feb 26, 2009.

  1. John Smith

    John Smith Guest

    Just upgraded a pc..its a Gigabyte GA EP45 mobo, intel core 2 duo cpu and
    XP.

    When it boots up it seems to go through part of the sequence twice....

    This is what happens when it boots:-

    Beep

    Gigabyte display (where one can tab for Post or esc for enter Bios etc)

    black screen

    Beep

    Gigabyte screen again (where one can tab for Post or esc for enter Bios etc)

    list of text

    then Windows sequence

    and finally all ok after 1.5 mins

    any ideas why it should pull up the Gigabyte screen twice?

    wonder if its to do with the motherboard, cpu or Operating system?

    1. Advertising

  2. Per John Smith:
    >any ideas why it should pull up the Gigabyte screen twice?

    Mine gets into these loops where it just keeps popping the splash
    screen and re-booting forever.

    I get it to start up for real by pushing Reset at the right time
    just after the beep.

    Somebody commented that this is a firmware or driver problem that
    can be fixed by downloading/installing the latest-and-greatest;
    but I haven't gotten around to it yet.
    --
    PeteCresswell

    1. Advertising

  3. jk

    jk Guest

    On Thu, 26 Feb 2009 21:14:41 -0000, "John Smith" <>
    wrote:

    >Just upgraded a pc..its a Gigabyte GA EP45 mobo, intel core 2 duo cpu and
    >XP.
    >
    >When it boots up it seems to go through part of the sequence twice....
    >
    >This is what happens when it boots:-
    >
    >Beep
    >
    >Gigabyte display (where one can tab for Post or esc for enter Bios etc)
    >
    >black screen
    >
    >Beep
    >
    >Gigabyte screen again (where one can tab for Post or esc for enter Bios etc)
    >
    >list of text
    >
    >then Windows sequence
    >
    >and finally all ok after 1.5 mins
    >
    >any ideas why it should pull up the Gigabyte screen twice?
    >
    >wonder if its to do with the motherboard, cpu or Operating system?

    Something seems wrong in your bios settings. It invites you.

    I expered with ma78gms2h that I had warning for cpu fan set in bios
    and also smartfan control enabled. Since CPU is cold by start, cpu fan
    is not needing to rotate, so I had to disable cpu fan warning.
    It is more likely some ram setting that is your problem. Maybe raise
    voltage a little, + 0.1 volt or 0.2 on ram. Ctrl F1 can give the
    needed menu for it.

    Then save the bios.

    best regards

    John

  4. John Smith

    John Smith Guest

    "jk" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 26 Feb 2009 21:14:41 -0000, "John Smith" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Just upgraded a pc..its a Gigabyte GA EP45 mobo, intel core 2 duo cpu and
    >>XP.
    >>
    >>When it boots up it seems to go through part of the sequence twice....
    >>
    >>This is what happens when it boots:-
    >>
    >>Beep
    >>
    >>Gigabyte display (where one can tab for Post or esc for enter Bios etc)
    >>
    >>black screen
    >>
    >>Beep
    >>
    >>Gigabyte screen again (where one can tab for Post or esc for enter Bios
    >>etc)
    >>
    >>list of text
    >>
    >>then Windows sequence
    >>
    >>and finally all ok after 1.5 mins
    >>
    >>any ideas why it should pull up the Gigabyte screen twice?
    >>
    >>wonder if its to do with the motherboard, cpu or Operating system?
    >>

    > Something seems wrong in your bios settings. It invites you.
    >
    > I expered with ma78gms2h that I had warning for cpu fan set in bios
    > and also smartfan control enabled. Since CPU is cold by start, cpu fan
    > is not needing to rotate, so I had to disable cpu fan warning.
    > It is more likely some ram setting that is your problem. Maybe raise
    > voltage a little, + 0.1 volt or 0.2 on ram. Ctrl F1 can give the
    > needed menu for it.
    >
    > Then save the bios.
    >
    > best regards
    >
    > John

    ==========
    Fans..wondered if that was a possible cause...so have now disconnected all
    the 3 case fans...just the same!
    Another couple bits of information...
    1.From the first Gigabyte BIOS display its not possible to action anything
    from there..tried Delete key to enter BIOS...Nothing.
    2. Also, may or may not be relevant...but when using Power Options..and
    having pc go into standby after so many minutes..it seems to do that ok,
    screen off etc - except the fans don't stop - ...but then will it come out
    of standby?...no it won't!...tried mouse and all keys...nothing...only way
    is to reboot.
    3. the Gigabyte mobo has dual bios set-up
    Thanks. J

  5. John Smith

    John Smith Guest

    "jk" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 26 Feb 2009 21:14:41 -0000, "John Smith" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Just upgraded a pc..its a Gigabyte GA EP45 mobo, intel core 2 duo cpu and
    >>XP.
    >>
    >>When it boots up it seems to go through part of the sequence twice....
    >>
    >>This is what happens when it boots:-
    >>
    >>Beep
    >>
    >>Gigabyte display (where one can tab for Post or esc for enter Bios etc)
    >>
    >>black screen
    >>
    >>Beep
    >>
    >>Gigabyte screen again (where one can tab for Post or esc for enter Bios
    >>etc)
    >>
    >>list of text
    >>
    >>then Windows sequence
    >>
    >>and finally all ok after 1.5 mins
    >>
    >>any ideas why it should pull up the Gigabyte screen twice?
    >>
    >>wonder if its to do with the motherboard, cpu or Operating system?
    >>

    > Something seems wrong in your bios settings. It invites you.
    >
    > I expered with ma78gms2h that I had warning for cpu fan set in bios
    > and also smartfan control enabled. Since CPU is cold by start, cpu fan
    > is not needing to rotate, so I had to disable cpu fan warning.
    > It is more likely some ram setting that is your problem. Maybe raise
    > voltage a little, + 0.1 volt or 0.2 on ram. Ctrl F1 can give the
    > needed menu for it.

    ==============
    SUCCESS!!!!

    ........was just about to start the dreaded BIOS updating...
    ....last throw....disconnected all devices..
    ....ie 2 x hard drives, CD/DVD drive, printer, scanner, sound box and
    external hard
    drive....then switched on...all ok...
    .....reattached the devices one by one...
    ....and guess which was the culprit?
    ....the **** external hard drive!!
    ....unplugged the USB connected 500GB Seagate Free Agent external hard drive
    and all ok ie no double bios execution!!..
    Thanks very much for your help!
    All I need to do now if determine why the Seagate is causing such and how to
    remedy. :)
    Thanks again,